I would like to ask contributors and reviewers to give an extra care to fixes for these issues so we can get them in as soon as possible. If you think there is anything else that should get into 1.17.1, let me know.
Bug #23342: vsphere - failed to create resource - undefined method first - Foreman
and http://projects.theforeman.org/issues/23335 actually have the same root cause. This just needs confirmation.
So basically someone needs to deploy a host from a vmware template with the patch from #23342 and check if that works. I’m on training this week, so I can’t do it now. Can somebody assist?
Logging and awesome_print should also be targeted at 1.17.1. We already decided they should be included after RC2 but before 1.17.0. I did do the cherry picks but messed up the tags so in the end they weren’t included.
I think #23382 and 23463 (!ruby/hash:ActiveSupport::HashWithIndifferentAccess in class parameters when using YAML) should be fixed for 1.17. These two have probably the same root cause and seem to potntially impact anybody using smart class parameters.
Would it help if the top post was made a wiki? Perhaps too late for this post, but in future I can add permissions for appropriate people to create wiki-style posts… Just thought it might help when linking this topic to others coming in later.
It has been almost a month since 1.17.0 came out with a bunch of bugs, and I think we should ship 1.17.1 very soon. I updated the top post with the status of the open issues, looks like the current status is:
Two issues related to yaml params and enc that had not had any work started on them. Considering this looks like possibly issues in rails, and no progress - I suggest we postpone them to 1.17.2. (#23382, #23463)
One issue with vmware that has a workaround PR (that includes some further patches in its comments?) - @TimoGoebel what is the status here? If we can’t get this fixed and merged in the next day or two, let’s push it out as well.
One slightly annoying issue with the search but not a serious blocker imho, if this isn’t merged in the next day or two, let’s push it to 1.17.2 as well.
@Ondrej_Prazak and the rest of @core What do you think?
I think we should kick off 1.17.1 build by the end of this week with what we, have and plan for 1.17.2 with the rest in a couple of weeks, currently I’m guessing not a lot of users are trying 1.17 at all because of all these issues. This way at least we’ll get some of them unblocked. As smarter people then I have said, “release early, release often”.
I pushed out all issues other than the vmware one (which should finish tests momentarily) to 1.17.2 so we can kick the 1.17.1 pipeline today.
Looks like the two yaml issues are fairly serious, let’s try to get them fixed and release 1.17.2 within a couple of weeks.