4.3 will not install on Centos 7 (missing qpid-proton-c)

Problem:

4.3 requires tfm-rubygem-qpid_proton-0.35 and provides that. However, that package requires qpid-proton-c-0.35, which does not seem to be available anywhere anymore; for instance, epel only 0.36. There is 0.35 for Fedora but that does not help me.

Expected outcome:

4.3 installs successfully.

Foreman and Proxy versions:

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:

Distribution and version:

Centos 7.9

Other relevant data:

I found it here: ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/archive.fedoraproject.org/epel/8.4.2021-11-30/Everything/x86_64/Packages/q/qpid-proton-c-0.35.0-2.el8.x86_64.rpm

Manually installing that package will work, but this isn’t exactly a long term solution…

Thank you for the link, but that says it’s for EL8, will this still work with 7?

I agree direct install is not ideal at all, but we are in an environment airgapped from the direct internet, so needs must. However I’m not sure even having that access would matter since, again, it’s not in any active repo as far as I can tell, so I’m baffled how people are supposed to install 4.3 on EL7

More info:

From the repos I see, the package was updated from 0.35 to 0.36 on 1/10, so I don’t think Katello has caught up yet?

Well, I would wait for 4.3 to be released officially.

The most current version of Foreman (3.1) specifically discusses using Katello 4.3

https://docs.theforeman.org/3.1.html

Seems a bit irresponsible of Foreman to use an RC in their most up-to-date documents they encourage people to follow?

I guess I’ll drop down to something like 4.0 for my needs then, thank you

The qpid-proton-c dependency is literally the reason why Katello 4.3 has not officially released yet.
I believe everything was ready for release and most of the release steps were performed, and then the dependency issue became apparent. Which is why it is currently in a half released limbo state…

1 Like

You should just drop back to the previous release rather than all the way back to Katello 4.0.

The previous release is Foreman 3.0 / Katello 4.2

I think the Foreman 2.4 / Katello 4.0 line is no longer supported.

In either case, Foreman 3.1 / Katello 4.3 has now been fully released, so your qpid-proton-c dependency should now be resolved.

Thank you for the update, I’ll discuss this with the team and see how we want to proceed.

Katello 4.3 is now officially released: Katello 4.3 GA is available

It looks like they re-added qpid-proton 0.35.0 to the repo (which should be available in EPEL), but I did not test that.