Adding a vendor list to theforeman.org site

Hello everyone!

It has been noted in several different posts that some community members might not have the expertise to setup and use Foreman to solve their deployment needs. As a community member noted during our birthday party celebrations, Foreman is like a Swiss Army Knife and a user needs a certain level of Linux/sysadmin expertise to even start with Foreman. We had a recent case where a user did not have Ubuntu/Puppet knowledge yet was ploughing ahead with a Ubuntu/Puppet/Foreman deployment. While such a can-do attitude is admirable, even with the most granular docs, it’s unrealistic to expect community members/docs to bridge such a knowledge gap.

As noted by @tbrisker
How we can centralize the purpose above using the technology that you currently have? - #8 by tbrisker

as well as others in other posts, it’s probably a good idea to have some information for users who have the means and need paid support to avail of the productized versions of Foreman or consulting services around Foreman.

I have been looking at the layout of www.theforeman.org and think creating a new page under Get Help, below the Support entry. I considered putting it on the Support page, but that seems quite busy in and of itself. I have also invited iRonin and @Dirk and @Bernhard_Suttner to write guest blog posts on their downstream/consultation offerings that I can then link to from the website. I have a number of others to reach out to, and if you’d like to save me the bother, feel free to reach out to me :smiley:

What do you think? Is there a better place to do this?

3 Likes

It makes sense to nest under “Get Help”, perhaps we could call it “Professional Services” or “Commercial Offerings”? I would suggest on that page to also think about how to clarify the different offering types - downstream products, upstream consulting/support, training, development, perhaps something I missed?

5 Likes

I agree with @tbrisker.

IMHO it makes sense to differentiate between “downstream products” and “consulting services”. Splitting further into “engineering services”, “development”, etc. is maybe too much.

I vote for starting with two additional pages (next to training) in “GET HELP”.

1 Like

Hi @maximilian

Welcome to the community Discourse! Thanks for your feedback!

1 Like

Hi @mcorr, I’d like to contribute to the vendor list, could you please contact me?

1 Like

And just for the record, in case anyone is reading this at any point, we did create a page on the website:

https://theforeman.org/professional-services.html

If you’d like to be added to the list, we ask for a guest blog post, similar in style and content to the blogs already featured on that page!

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far!