Adding fr_FR language

Hi all,

Loic Fontaine's made a request on Transifex for an 'fr_FR' translation
to be added to Foreman, while we already have an 'fr' translation. I've
not approved it for now as I'm unsure that this would be desirable.

If it was added, then we could end up with different translation sets
between the two dialects. I think the way fast_gettext works, is that
when setting the locale to 'fr_FR', it would select the closest match,
which would be 'fr_FR' if it existed, without falling back to 'fr' for
unknown keys.

I'm inclined to deny the request, and perhaps to even consider renaming
'fr' to 'fr_FR' for accuracy, but I'm not certain how this is handled in
other projects.

Claer, do you have any preference?

Regards,

··· -- Dominic Cleal dominic@cleal.org

I would defer to Claer, but my understanding is unless there is a
difference between translations for Swiss, Canadian, or France French
then stick with a single fr.

– bk

··· On 04/13/2016 10:07 AM, Dominic Cleal wrote: > Hi all, > > Loic Fontaine's made a request on Transifex for an 'fr_FR' translation > to be added to Foreman, while we already have an 'fr' translation. I've > not approved it for now as I'm unsure that this would be desirable. > > If it was added, then we could end up with different translation sets > between the two dialects. I think the way fast_gettext works, is that > when setting the locale to 'fr_FR', it would select the closest match, > which would be 'fr_FR' if it existed, without falling back to 'fr' for > unknown keys. > > I'm inclined to deny the request, and perhaps to even consider renaming > 'fr' to 'fr_FR' for accuracy, but I'm not certain how this is handled in > other projects. > > Claer, do you have any preference? > > Regards, >

Hello,

I don't really know what's best and I'm as confused as you guys. If he wants to
create a derivative translation for Swiss / Belgium / … in that case I don't
see the needs for a specific fr_FR creation. Can he explains more why he wanted
that change?

Benjamin

··· On Wed, Apr 13 2016 at 46:11, Bryan Kearney wrote: > I would defer to Claer, but my understanding is unless there is a > difference between translations for Swiss, Canadian, or France > French then stick with a single fr. > > -- bk > > > On 04/13/2016 10:07 AM, Dominic Cleal wrote: > >Hi all, > > > >Loic Fontaine's made a request on Transifex for an 'fr_FR' translation > >to be added to Foreman, while we already have an 'fr' translation. I've > >not approved it for now as I'm unsure that this would be desirable. > > > >If it was added, then we could end up with different translation sets > >between the two dialects. I think the way fast_gettext works, is that > >when setting the locale to 'fr_FR', it would select the closest match, > >which would be 'fr_FR' if it existed, without falling back to 'fr' for > >unknown keys. > > > >I'm inclined to deny the request, and perhaps to even consider renaming > >'fr' to 'fr_FR' for accuracy, but I'm not certain how this is handled in > >other projects. > > > >Claer, do you have any preference? > > > >Regards,

I'm not sure, I sent a message on Transifex to point to this thread, but
have had no reply. I've refused the request for now.

··· On 15/04/16 11:06, Claer wrote: > On Wed, Apr 13 2016 at 46:11, Bryan Kearney wrote: >> I would defer to Claer, but my understanding is unless there is a >> difference between translations for Swiss, Canadian, or France >> French then stick with a single fr. >> >> -- bk >> >> >> On 04/13/2016 10:07 AM, Dominic Cleal wrote: >>> Hi all, >>> >>> Loic Fontaine's made a request on Transifex for an 'fr_FR' translation >>> to be added to Foreman, while we already have an 'fr' translation. I've >>> not approved it for now as I'm unsure that this would be desirable. >>> >>> If it was added, then we could end up with different translation sets >>> between the two dialects. I think the way fast_gettext works, is that >>> when setting the locale to 'fr_FR', it would select the closest match, >>> which would be 'fr_FR' if it existed, without falling back to 'fr' for >>> unknown keys. >>> >>> I'm inclined to deny the request, and perhaps to even consider renaming >>> 'fr' to 'fr_FR' for accuracy, but I'm not certain how this is handled in >>> other projects. >>> >>> Claer, do you have any preference? >>> >>> Regards, > > Hello, > > I don't really know what's best and I'm as confused as you guys. If he wants to > create a derivative translation for Swiss / Belgium / .. in that case I don't > see the needs for a specific fr_FR creation. Can he explains more why he wanted > that change?

Dominic Cleal
dominic@cleal.org