After upgrade of foreman and katello my rocky 9.1 installation is installing 9.2 on hosts

Problem:
Upgraded to foreman 3.5 from 3.4 and Katello 4.75 from 4.6. Now my media installation of Rocky 9.1 installs Rocky 9.2

Expected outcome:
Continue to install Rocky 9.1 with my original Kickstarts, OS and Installation Media.

Foreman and Proxy versions:
Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:

Distribution and version:
Redhat 8.8

Other relevant data:
During the installation a “dnf update” upgraded the kernel and I went from Redhat 8.7 to 8.8.

I thought maybe one of the dnf group installs in the kickstart might be upgrading the kernel during provisioning so I disabled all group package installations temporarily, but I still ended up with Rocky 9.2.

I’ll dig further into this tomorrow, but I thought maybe someone has seen this before and can point me in the right direction. My installation media is still pointing at my cached local repo which I mirrored off of rocky repos. Unless Rocky slipped a 9.2 into my 9.1 repo I’m not sure where this is coming from. I know centos will move older repos to a different URL when the latest comes out, but I’m not sure if Rocky does the same. In centos it goes from dl. to vault. in the URL.

Thanks.

Anyone? I see that 9.2 released in the last week. So I’m not sure if this is a Foreman problem, or a Rocky repository problem.

I’ve checked everything I can think of and spent over a day racking my brain. Operating system and installation media are definitely correct. No matter what I try 9.2 always installs. I also saw that 8.8 installs for a 8.7 provisioning template I just made a couple of weeks ago and 8.8 also just came out.

This is driving me nuts.

Hey again :slight_smile:

Just to mention it here also again, it must be connected to what exactly is provided in the repo parameter in the kickstart file, that gets rendered.

1 Like

Do you have the update parameter set? If so I think the kickstart will update Rocky 9.1 to Rocky 9.2 by using “dnf update” during the kickstart process.

I originally thought it might be updating after installation, but since there were no other kernels on the system after installation I ruled that out. If it’s updating then I would assume it would clean up old kernels.

I had a quick look and didn’t see a parameter “update”. If that exists where do I find it?

It defaults to true, set a host parameter manually to override:

Name: package_upgrade
Type: Boolean
Value: false

1 Like