Angular daily bug fix hour?

@ehelms @walden - What do you think of a regularly scheduled bug fix hour related to angular.js?

There is a very simple BZ[1] that @beav and I were going to work together. I took a stab at it but couldn't come to grips with how to correctly pass in a "working" flag. Nor was I sure what I should be hiding and where to set/unset the working flag. In my mind, fixing this issue should not take a developer more than an hour of total time (including tests, if required). I'd like to see if this is indeed a reasonable expectation.

I think those evaluating react.js perhaps could attend too. If there are similar widgets on pages we could collectively begin to compare the effort level involved in both.

[1] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1207496
This UI component works such that when you click it, it switches to a choicebox w/ a save and cancel. Hitting save should present a spinner until the operation is complete.

··· --

@thomasmckay

Big +1 from me, regular "javascript office hours" or something similar
would be helpful:) I don't think daily is needed but maybe 1-2x a week?

I don't feel like I'm experienced enough with JS yet to learn via PR
review comments. I think having a regular meet-up where we could go over
strategies for fixing javascript bugs would help me get to that point.
That way I could get feedback on my bugs, and also hear advice for other
bugs.

··· On 02/25/2016 05:41 PM, Tom McKay wrote: > @ehelms @walden - What do you think of a regularly scheduled bug fix hour related to angular.js? > > There is a very simple BZ[1] that @beav and I were going to work together. I took a stab at it but couldn't come to grips with how to correctly pass in a "working" flag. Nor was I sure what I should be hiding and where to set/unset the working flag. In my mind, fixing this issue should not take a developer more than an hour of total time (including tests, if required). I'd like to see if this is indeed a reasonable expectation. > > I think those evaluating react.js perhaps could attend too. If there are similar widgets on pages we could collectively begin to compare the effort level involved in both. > > > [1] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1207496 > This UI component works such that when you click it, it switches to a choicebox w/ a save and cancel. Hitting save should present a spinner until the operation is complete. >

Y'all deem this better than asking us questions as they arise? I'm usually here and always happy to help.

If you want to set this up now is the time since we're mostly in bug fix mode. I'm happy to attend and help out.

Cheers,
Walden

··· ----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Duryee" To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com Sent: Friday, February 26, 2016 9:24:04 AM Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] angular daily bug fix hour?

On 02/25/2016 05:41 PM, Tom McKay wrote:

@ehelms @walden - What do you think of a regularly scheduled bug fix hour related to angular.js?

There is a very simple BZ[1] that @beav and I were going to work together. I took a stab at it but couldn’t come to grips with how to correctly pass in a “working” flag. Nor was I sure what I should be hiding and where to set/unset the working flag. In my mind, fixing this issue should not take a developer more than an hour of total time (including tests, if required). I’d like to see if this is indeed a reasonable expectation.

I think those evaluating react.js perhaps could attend too. If there are similar widgets on pages we could collectively begin to compare the effort level involved in both.

This UI component works such that when you click it, it switches to a choicebox w/ a save and cancel. Hitting save should present a spinner until the operation is complete.

Big +1 from me, regular “javascript office hours” or something similar
would be helpful:) I don’t think daily is needed but maybe 1-2x a week?

I don’t feel like I’m experienced enough with JS yet to learn via PR
bugs.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “foreman-dev” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

> Y'all deem this better than asking us questions as they arise? I'm usually here and always happy to help.
>
> If you want to set this up now is the time since we're mostly in bug fix mode. I'm happy to attend and help out.
>

I think an informal meetup would work better for now. For me at least, I
am not yet familiar enough with the topic to create good questions:)

from IRC convo, we'll have a meetup at 11am eastern time which will
likely be 30 min. I'll post a link in #theforeman-dev when the time gets
closer.

··· On 02/26/2016 09:34 AM, Walden Raines wrote:

Cheers,
Walden

----- Original Message -----
To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2016 9:24:04 AM
Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] angular daily bug fix hour?

On 02/25/2016 05:41 PM, Tom McKay wrote:

There is a very simple BZ[1] that @beav and I were going to work together. I took a stab at it but couldn’t come to grips with how to correctly pass in a “working” flag. Nor was I sure what I should be hiding and where to set/unset the working flag. In my mind, fixing this issue should not take a developer more than an hour of total time (including tests, if required). I’d like to see if this is indeed a reasonable expectation.

Big +1 from me, regular “javascript office hours” or something similar
would be helpful:) I don’t think daily is needed but maybe 1-2x a week?

I don’t feel like I’m experienced enough with JS yet to learn via PR
bugs.

We did hold a discussion on the issue I mentioned. In preparation I had tried solving this myself, looking to add the spinner to the bastion component and having the katello html set a working flag. During the meeting, @walden thought no katello changes would be necessary and that the existing code in bastion could simply be used. We adjourned the discussion agreeing that some of us would go off and try to fix and then reconvene. The discussion continued over IRC for the next hour with Walden guiding me to the solution[1]. This same fix (and code simplification) is on my list to fix for content hosts too.

My takeaway was this:

1. If I had not had the discussion I would have struggled to come to the correct solution as quickly or perhaps at all. The fix in the end was as trivial as I suspected but took some initial guidance.
  2. A dedicated code hour is probably not needed but I personally would benefit from the initial discussions on issues both assigned to me and others for learning.

[1] https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/5817

··· ----- Original Message ----- > Y'all deem this better than asking us questions as they arise? I'm usually > here and always happy to help. > > If you want to set this up now is the time since we're mostly in bug fix > mode. I'm happy to attend and help out. > > Cheers, > Walden > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Chris Duryee" > To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > Sent: Friday, February 26, 2016 9:24:04 AM > Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] angular daily bug fix hour? > > > > On 02/25/2016 05:41 PM, Tom McKay wrote: > > @ehelms @walden - What do you think of a regularly scheduled bug fix hour > > related to angular.js? > > > > There is a very simple BZ[1] that @beav and I were going to work together. > > I took a stab at it but couldn't come to grips with how to correctly pass > > in a "working" flag. Nor was I sure what I should be hiding and where to > > set/unset the working flag. In my mind, fixing this issue should not take > > a developer more than an hour of total time (including tests, if > > required). I'd like to see if this is indeed a reasonable expectation. > > > > I think those evaluating react.js perhaps could attend too. If there are > > similar widgets on pages we could collectively begin to compare the effort > > level involved in both. > > > > > > [1] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1207496 > > This UI component works such that when you click it, it switches to a > > choicebox w/ a save and cancel. Hitting save should present a spinner > > until the operation is complete. > > > > Big +1 from me, regular "javascript office hours" or something similar > would be helpful:) I don't think daily is needed but maybe 1-2x a week? > > I don't feel like I'm experienced enough with JS yet to learn via PR > review comments. I think having a regular meet-up where we could go over > strategies for fixing javascript bugs would help me get to that point. > That way I could get feedback on my bugs, and also hear advice for other > bugs. > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "foreman-dev" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "foreman-dev" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >