Automatic OS installation in openstack instances using Foreman

Hi
I'm new to Foreman. I read that we can manage openstack in foreman using
staypuft (I don't test it, yet).
But I want to know that can we automatically install OS in openstack
instances using Foreman or not? If yes, how?
Otherwise, can you offer other tools (except Foreman) for this work?
Thanks.

> Hi
> I'm new to Foreman. I read that we can manage openstack in foreman using
> staypuft (I don't test it, yet).

Staypuft has been dead for a very long time, as far as I know. Certainly
no commits have been made upstream in over 2 years.

There are guides out there for deploying openstack from Puppet in
general, I'm sure those Puppet modules can be used from Foreman once
you've set Foreman up.

> But I want to know that can we automatically install OS in openstack
> instances using Foreman or not? If yes, how?

Do you mean the physical undercloud, or the virtual machines? Both can
be managed from Foreman, but the answer is different depending on your goal.

Greg

··· On 08/11/17 10:55, hf2548 wrote:

Thanks for your answer
I can install OS in physical machines using Foreman automatically, I want
to know how to do this with virtual machines created y openstack.

··· On Friday, November 10, 2017 at 1:54:36 PM UTC+3:30, Greg Sutcliffe wrote: > > On 08/11/17 10:55, hf2548 wrote: > > Hi > > I'm new to Foreman. I read that we can manage openstack in foreman using > > staypuft (I don't test it, yet). > > Staypuft has been dead for a very long time, as far as I know. Certainly > no commits have been made upstream in over 2 years. > > There are guides out there for deploying openstack from Puppet in > general, I'm sure those Puppet modules can be used from Foreman once > you've set Foreman up. > > > But I want to know that can we automatically install OS in openstack > > instances using Foreman or not? If yes, how? > > Do you mean the physical undercloud, or the virtual machines? Both can > be managed from Foreman, but the answer is different depending on your > goal. > > Greg >

your bes bet is to look at digital rebar

··· On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 5:31 AM, hf2548 wrote: > Thanks for your answer > I can install OS in physical machines using Foreman automatically, I want to > know how to do this with virtual machines created y openstack. > > > On Friday, November 10, 2017 at 1:54:36 PM UTC+3:30, Greg Sutcliffe wrote: >> >> On 08/11/17 10:55, hf2548 wrote: >> > Hi >> > I'm new to Foreman. I read that we can manage openstack in foreman using >> > staypuft (I don't test it, yet). >> >> Staypuft has been dead for a very long time, as far as I know. Certainly >> no commits have been made upstream in over 2 years. >> >> There are guides out there for deploying openstack from Puppet in >> general, I'm sure those Puppet modules can be used from Foreman once >> you've set Foreman up. >> >> > But I want to know that can we automatically install OS in openstack >> > instances using Foreman or not? If yes, how? >> >> Do you mean the physical undercloud, or the virtual machines? Both can >> be managed from Foreman, but the answer is different depending on your >> goal. >> >> Greg > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "Foreman users" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Small caveat, Openstack frequently moves faster than we do, so this
may be broken. In general though, you can add your OpenStack instance
under Compute Resources > New in the UI, and use your tenant credentials
to set up the CR.

Once you have a CR, it'll appear under Deploy On on the New Host form.
You can select your openstack instance there and then configure the new
host as normal.

If yout hit any errors, please do share the logs and what you were doing
so we can investigate.

··· On 11/11/17 04:31, hf2548 wrote: > Thanks for your answer > I can install OS in physical machines using Foreman automatically, I want > to know how to do this with virtual machines created y openstack.
Hi
I install openstack plugin in foreman and now the openstack is present in list of compute resource providers. But by selecting openstack as provider some additional fields should be fill to continue. I don't know how to fill them and no documentation was found! The filelds are : Url, Username, password and tenants(That it will be automatically filled from projects defined in openstack)

··· On Monday, November 13, 2017 at 6:23:53 PM UTC+3:30, Greg Sutcliffe wrote:

On 11/11/17 04:31, hf2548 wrote:
Thanks for your answer
I can install OS in physical machines using Foreman automatically, I
want
to know how to do this with virtual machines created y openstack.

Small caveat, Openstack frequently moves faster than we do, so this
*may* be broken. In general though, you can add your OpenStack instance
under Compute Resources > New in the UI, and use your tenant credentials
to set up the CR.

Once you have a CR, it'll appear under Deploy On on the New Host form.
You can select your openstack instance there and then configure the new
host as normal.

If yout hit any errors, please do share the logs and what you were doing
so we can investigate.