Bare metal host unable to fetch install media

Problem:
After the boot loader is fetched via PXElinux and TFTP the installation provisioning wont continue as the target host is unable do locate files needed for installation even though URL paths set up under install media look correct.

Expected outcome:
Provisioning is able to locate and use necessary files to install OS on host

Foreman and Proxy versions:
Foreman version 3.0.0-rc2
Proxy version 3.0.0-rc2

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:
Foreman version 3.0.0-rc2
foreman-tasks 5.1.0
foreman_puppet 1.0.0.rc.2
foreman_remote_execution 4.7.0
katello 4.2.0.rc1

Distribution and version:
Not sure how to find this :confused:

Other relevant data:
Noticed during provisioning that if a trailing / is used for installation media path results with adding an unneeded / during provisioning. Also excluding the trailing / would result in a http 301 (permanently moved) error from the source URL even though path looks correct from output on target host during provisioning. I am using the Kickstart defualt provisioning template for now, and even looking at the preview for the pending build the URL for the install media target looks correct. I am rather new to Foreman and would like to learn more so I am assuming this is a dead simple thing I missed. Also I do understand I am using a release candidate and Rocky Linux may not be fully supported at this time. Any help or guidance would be appreciated .

(Output if trailing / is used)
Dracut-initqueue[945] : Warning: Anaconda failed to fetch stage 2 from http://dfw.mirror.rackspace.com/rocky/8.4/BaseOS/x86_64/kickstart//images/install.img

Hey, double slashes in URL usually do not break anything, feel free to click on the quoted URL.

I believe your network configuration is not correct, doublecheck that network is working properly after Anaconda times out and drops into shell. Check DNS, firewalls etc. This works for every single Foreman release.

2 Likes

Thank you so much, will take a look at my network configuration and go from there.

1 Like

Good afternoon,

Apologies for the late update, I was able to get my issue resolved. Looks like I misconfigured a subnet in my Foreman instance. Noticed in the dracut shell curl would throw a network unreachable error for any outside network. Updating my network adress from 192.168.3.0 to 192.168.3.1 made everything work. Thanks so much for the guidance!

2 Likes

Thanks for getting back to us! It is important to know what was the cause so everyone can learn from that. Cheers.