Basic content view quiestion

Hello,

I found the content view example which includes 3 repos as follows.
Can anyone advise me why repo1 and repo2 are required??

If I select RHEL 7 server as OS in Operating System tab, I guess RPMs for repo2 will be installed automatically.
And should I add kickstart repo to use in Operating System tab like repo1??

Content view:
repo1: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server Kickstart x86_64 7.2
repo2: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server RPMs x86_64 7Server
repo3: Red Hat Satellite Tools 6 for RHEL 7 Server RPMs x86_64

A content view needs to include all relevant repositories in order to build a server. If you’re not intending kickstarting builds then repo1 won’t be required. It is required to kickstart. Repo2 is required if you expect your server to be able to consume any content (yum updates etc). The alternative is set your servers to consume their content from elsewhere but if that were the case you’d not need katello at all.

1 Like

My understanding is that a content view is just access scope for all contents and for example, contents in CV could be accessed in kickstart script, ansible when installing packages, right?

My questions are

1. What is main purpose of restricting access scope? I guess allowing access for all contents without CV is more simple way for user to use.

2. Host can access only repository in CV? I think it’s possible to access repository not in CV by directly updating package download server(ex. sources.list) or does katello monitor such actions?

3. As far as I know, Foreman gets repo URL as installation media. Should contents related to OS installation be added into CV even for such case, and does host directly access that URL repo?