Broken provisioning on upgrade to 1.23

Problem:
When upgrading to 1.23, my custom templates (partition tables) are broken :frowning:

Expected outcome:
Provisioning with default provisioning template and custom partition table created on 1.22 should work on 1.23, but it doesn’t…

Reason: There WAS this part of code in preseed default provisioning template:

<% if host_param('install-disk') -%>
d-i partman-auto/disk string <%= host_param('install-disk') %>
d-i grub-installer/bootdev string <%= host_param('install-disk') %>
<% else -%>
# Use the first detected hard disk
d-i partman/early_command string \
  INSTALL_DISK="$(list-devices disk | head -n1)"; \
  debconf-set partman-auto/disk "$INSTALL_DISK"; \
  debconf-set grub-installer/bootdev "$INSTALL_DISK"
<% end -%> 

But, somebody decided to remove it and place it under preseed default partition table.

Normally, all my custom partition tables are now without this code.
So, now i have to check all my templates again? Maybe something else moved around?
Was that somewhere in release notes or some changelogs, that i missed? I always try to read that, but didn’t see this one coming. If there is a place that all such modifications are documented, please be so kind and point me to it. :slight_smile:

How about “Don’t break userspace” policy? :slight_smile:

Foreman and Proxy versions:

Hello,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! Looks like this change was introduced in https://github.com/theforeman/community-templates/pull/584.

You are right, it appears this change was not included in the release notes for 1.23.

Would you be interested in submitting a pull request to add it to the upgrade warnings for this release? The file is written in markdown and can be found at https://github.com/theforeman/theforeman.org/blob/gh-pages/_includes/manuals/1.23/1.2_release_notes.md#upgrade-warnings

We do lock the default templates to try and reduce the chances of something breaking, but when combining default and custom templates this sort of issues can sometimes occur. If you want to make sure nothing changes in the templates you are using, you can clone the default templates and use the cloned version instead, and only incorporate changes in a controlled manner.