CentOS errata, what am I missing?

“Scared” is I think a little unfair. CentOS 8 was in a stable downstream position whereas Stream will be considerably less stable and certainly more volatile with more bleeding edge updates. Nothing wrong with that if stability isn’t what you care about.

1 Like

Sure, I am not selling CentOS 8 Stream here, obviously not for everyone. Definitely great fit for customers who do a lot of OS development, particularly big customers. Previously it was really hard to make an impact.

CentOS Linux never had errata and it was painful experience for those who simply use it as a production OS. Now there are the free RHEL tiers as well as other alternatives. I understand the concern tho, hopefully Foreman with Katello can help for some workflows.

(adding my answer to this thread as well)
Hi, sorry for the delayed answer.

So in the end, I just ended up doing the following :

• create a docker image
  • build it and use this script that basically convert the Cefs xml into proper yum readable repository GitHub - vmfarms/generate_updateinfo
  • upload the created yum repository files to an AWS S3 bucket
  • Get foreman to sync the S3 bucket on a specific repository

That way, I have another repository yes, but containing only errata and I don’t have to deal with injecting the errata into an existing CentOS repository.

Also, the @vulnersCom Errata example provided above does not work on Katello (sync constantly fails)
But if you successfully import the Vulners Errata into katello, be very very careful as it does not play well at all if you put the Vulners errata in a content view that also contains Official RHEL 7 Errata.

I like your approach. I tried the same but somehow the content view containing the repo with just the errata doesn’t seem to work if there are no packages included in the repo. Can someone comfirm this? I see > 5000 ERRATA in my repo containing only errata but once I add it to a content view the CV doesn’t reflect that errata.

Have you published a new content view version after adding the repo?

Hi,

yes I did. I even created a completely new CV just with the errata repo. But to be 100% clear. The repo is really just a dummy repo containing no rpms at all, just the errata. And I’m not using a S3 bucket. I added the repo in Katello as usual to my CentOS 7 product and synced it.

Would be really awesome to have this working.

Hi @Oliver_Weinmann,

What version of Katello are you on? I’m pretty sure you’re seeing a bug. I haven’t personally tested with repositories that don’t have any RPMs. Are you using any filters in your content view?

If this repo is public, we’d be happy to test it out ourselves.

1 Like

Hi,

I’m still on Katello 3.18.(katello-3.18.5-1.el7.noarch) I recently managed to upgrade to Pulp3 finally. It was a nightmare. :slight_smile: This already solved many problems we had with content view filters. They are now working 100% as expected. Very cool feature. The repo is not public. Sorry.

1 Like

And no the CV has no filter applied. It is a single CV just containing the repo with the errata.

Just out of curiosity I added 4 rpms to the errata only repo and synced it to Katello and voila no the CV shows the 4 packages and the related errata. So it seems that I would have to create a complete CentOS 7 repo with all the packages and include the errata afterwards. :frowning:

Hi @Oliver_Weinmann,

I would recommend upgrading past 3.18 to at least 4.1 if you can. I just tested this out on my Katello 4.1 box and publishing content view versions with only errata works fine.

One tip – you can use forklift to quickly bring up a test Katello VM of any version. If ever you want to see if a bug was fixed in a future release, it can be pretty helpful.

Hi,

I would love to go to 4.x but we are still relying on many puppet modules and I read that in 4.x puppet support especially repo support was dropped is that true?

Best Regards,
Oliver

Hi,

Puppet Support per-se was not dropped. What happened with 4.0 was a switch from Pulp2 to Pulp3. With that step, any repository-types that are not supported in Pulp3 had to be dropped. That includes Puppet repositories.
So, you cannot deploy your Puppet modules via Katello repositories with 4.X anymore, but you can still use Puppet if you deploy your Puppet modules via another mechanism like r10k if you are not already doing this anyways.

1 Like

Hi
I’ve the some issue with errata as @Oliver_Weinmann: it doesn’t present in published versions of ContentView.

On my Foreman server i’ve created a local repo in /var/www/html/pub/centos_errata/7, then using a script i import and inject errata to the local repo
generate_updateinfo.py -s all -t all -v <(bzip2 -dc /tmp/errata.latest.xml.bz2)
/usr/bin/modifyrepo /tmp/updateinfo-7/updateinfo.xml /var/www/html/pub/centos_errata/7/repodata/

In Foreman i’ve added a new repo, synched it to a local repo https://foreman/pub/centos_errata/7/ (here i see all errata), added this new repo to a CV and published.
There are no errata in published version
It appear only in case if i add an errata by an incremental update:
hammer content-view version incremental-update --content-view-version-id NNNN --errata-ids NNNN --organization XXXX

I’m on foreman-3.0.1-1, katello-4.2.1-1

Best regards,