Cert failure using smartproxy puppet module

I’ve been trying to implement the foreman_proxy module (https://forge.puppet.com/theforeman/foreman_proxy) in our environment and having cert issues.

The setup goal is to have proxy02 as a local puppet master using foreman01 as it’s “puppet master” and CA.

I can build a host, then apply the module with all the configuration options we need but after the initial puppet run where all the configs are applied I get:

[root@foreman-proxy02 puppet]# puppet agent --enable;puppet agent --test
Warning: Unable to fetch my node definition, but the agent run will continue:
Warning: SSL_connect returned=1 errno=0 state=error: certificate verify failed: [unable to get certificate CRL for /CN=foreman01.popID.some.domain.net]
Info: Retrieving pluginfacts
Error: /File[/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/cache/facts.d]: Failed to generate additional resources using ‘eval_generate’: SSL_connect returned=1 errno=0 state=error: certificate verify failed: [unable to get certificate CRL for /CN=foreman01.popID.some.domain.net]
Error: /File[/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/cache/facts.d]: Could not evaluate: Could not retrieve file metadata for puppet:///pluginfacts: SSL_connect returned=1 errno=0 state=error: certificate verify failed: [unable to get certificate CRL for /CN=foreman01.popID.some.domain.net]
Info: Retrieving plugin
Error: /File[/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/cache/lib]: Failed to generate additional resources using ‘eval_generate’: SSL_connect returned=1 errno=0 state=error: certificate verify failed: [unable to get certificate CRL for /CN=foreman01.popID.some.domain.net]
Error: /File[/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/cache/lib]: Could not evaluate: Could not retrieve file metadata for puppet:///plugins: SSL_connect returned=1 errno=0 state=error: certificate verify failed: [unable to get certificate CRL for /CN=foreman01.popID.some.domain.net]
Info: Loading facts
Error: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: SSL_connect returned=1 errno=0 state=error: certificate verify failed: [unable to get certificate CRL for /CN=foreman01.popID.some.domain.net]
Warning: Not using cache on failed catalog
Error: Could not retrieve catalog; skipping run
Error: Could not send report: SSL_connect returned=1 errno=0 state=error: certificate verify failed: [unable to get certificate CRL for /CN=foreman01.popID.some.domain.net]

It seems like it did some fiddling with the key that didn’t get pushed to foreman01? So what I’ve tried is rebuilding the cert (#client = proxy02, #server = foreman01):

#client
systemctl stop puppetserver puppet
mv /etc/puppetlabs/puppet/ssl /etc/puppetlabs/puppet/ssl.OLD

#server
puppet cert clean

#client
puppet agent --test

#server
puppet cert sign

#client
puppet agent --test

The first “puppet agent --test” (puppetserver is restarted there) runs fine but following that it begins to fail with the original cert error I listed above.

I’m obviously missing some dangling cert file somewhere or just not understanding what the problem is. Any suggestions?

To be clear I meant the “first” puppet agent --test that was run after the cert was signed runs fine. After that is fails.

To follow up on my own post. This seems to have been the resolution. It seems to default to server_ca = true when you set the smart proxy module to ca = false even.

This fixed it for me so far it seems

class { '::puppet': 
      server    => true,
      server_ca => false,
    }