We have a setup of cobbler+puppet where we create puppet certificate of
client machine on puppet master and also ssh hostkeys. At the end of
installation, it runs a cgi-script to change the status of client machine
from installing to setup and then after rebooting of the machine another
cgi-script copies ssh keys and puppet certificate from puppet/cobbler
master to client and change the status of machine to running. cgi-script
make sure that client machine can scp keys only during the period when
machine is in setup state. The period between installing and running is
hardly 1-2 min so some one can copy keys in only this time window.

The benefit of this scheme is that we can keep a consistent ssh host keys
across multiple re-installation of the client machines. Puppet
certificate is also distributed securely as we are not very comfortable
with autosigning of puppet certificate. There is a mechanism in cobbler
which provides a way to tie user defined action to certain cobbler commands.

I started to use Foreman because I really liked many of its features.But
keeping consistent ssh keys is one of the main requirement for us.

Is there any mechanism in foreman where we can run a script on foreman
server which is tied to build command ?

Or other way of achieving the same result.

Thanks
Kashif

I'd suggest taking a look at foreman_hooks.

https://github.com/domcleal/foreman_hooks

··· On Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:51:51 AM UTC-4, kashi...@gmail.com wrote: > > > Hi > > We have a setup of cobbler+puppet where we create puppet certificate of > client machine on puppet master and also ssh hostkeys. At the end of > installation, it runs a cgi-script to change the status of client machine > from installing to setup and then after rebooting of the machine another > cgi-script copies ssh keys and puppet certificate from puppet/cobbler > master to client and change the status of machine to running. cgi-script > make sure that client machine can scp keys only during the period when > machine is in setup state. The period between installing and running is > hardly 1-2 min so some one can copy keys in only this time window. > > The benefit of this scheme is that we can keep a consistent ssh host keys > across multiple re-installation of the client machines. Puppet > certificate is also distributed securely as we are not very comfortable > with autosigning of puppet certificate. There is a mechanism in cobbler > which provides a way to tie user defined action to certain cobbler commands. > > I started to use Foreman because I really liked many of its features.But > keeping consistent ssh keys is one of the main requirement for us. > > Is there any mechanism in foreman where we can run a script on foreman > server which is tied to build command ? > > Or other way of achieving the same result. > > Thanks > Kashif > >

Hi Andy
Thanks and lot. It is exactly what I was looking for.

Cheers
Kashif

··· On Tuesday, July 30, 2013 3:51:51 PM UTC+1, kashi...@gmail.com wrote: > > > Hi > > We have a setup of cobbler+puppet where we create puppet certificate of > client machine on puppet master and also ssh hostkeys. At the end of > installation, it runs a cgi-script to change the status of client machine > from installing to setup and then after rebooting of the machine another > cgi-script copies ssh keys and puppet certificate from puppet/cobbler > master to client and change the status of machine to running. cgi-script > make sure that client machine can scp keys only during the period when > machine is in setup state. The period between installing and running is > hardly 1-2 min so some one can copy keys in only this time window. > > The benefit of this scheme is that we can keep a consistent ssh host keys > across multiple re-installation of the client machines. Puppet > certificate is also distributed securely as we are not very comfortable > with autosigning of puppet certificate. There is a mechanism in cobbler > which provides a way to tie user defined action to certain cobbler commands. > > I started to use Foreman because I really liked many of its features.But > keeping consistent ssh keys is one of the main requirement for us. > > Is there any mechanism in foreman where we can run a script on foreman > server which is tied to build command ? > > Or other way of achieving the same result. > > Thanks > Kashif > >