Configure Provisioning Setup missing

Problem:
Installed foreman 1.22.0 on a ubuntu16 instance but facing issues where some options seems missing, I followed article https://www.linuxtechi.com/bare-metal-provisioning-through-foreman-server/ and was successful till step2 but as per the step3, i couldn’t find ‘ “Provisioning setup” under “Infrastructure” tab. If the above article is outdated, could someone please point to me the right doc or suggest why I am unable to see that option to proceed further on this.

Expected outcome:
Provisioning setup option missing in UI.
Foreman and Proxy versions:
1.22.0-1
Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:
1.22.0-1
Other relevant data:
in foreman UI, “Provisioning setup” tab missing under “Infrastructure” tab.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

this guide is kind of outdated (beeing about 2.5 years old), but I guess it should still work since most basic concepts have not changed that much.
Just from looking at it, I would guess they are using the Foreman setup plugin. You can find instructions on how to install that plugin in the readme.

Regards

Hi there,

I literally just went through the pain of using that exact tutorial.

Let’s save you some time :wink: The foreman setup plugin used in that tutorial is outdated, deprecated and doesn’t work.

Most likely what you want to do is instead of doing Step 3, go to Infrastructure → Subnets → Create Subnet, and fill it out as appropriate.

Here’s an example where my Foreman “master” server has the IP 10.30.50.5 -

Once you’ve created your subnet, run the following on your server, editing it as appropriate:

foreman-installer \
  --enable-foreman-proxy \
  --foreman-proxy-tftp=true \
  --foreman-proxy-tftp-servername=10.30.50.5 \
  --foreman-proxy-dhcp=true \
  --foreman-proxy-dhcp-interface=enp0s8 \
  --foreman-proxy-dhcp-gateway="10.30.50.1" \
  --foreman-proxy-dhcp-nameservers="10.30.50.5" \
  --foreman-proxy-dns=true \
  --foreman-proxy-dns-interface=enp0s8 \
  --foreman-proxy-dns-zone=somesite.com \
  --foreman-proxy-dns-reverse=50.30.10.in-addr.arpa \
  --foreman-proxy-dns-forwarders=1.2.3.6 \
  --foreman-proxy-dns-forwarders=1.2.3.7 \
  --foreman-proxy-dns-forwarders=1.2.7.1 \
  --foreman-proxy-foreman-base-url=https://fqdn.host.com

Let that run. Once it has, go back into your Subnet config, and go to the Proxies tab. Select your newly created smart proxy in all 3 fields.

Now you should be able to create hosts, assign them to that subnet and install.

Let me know if you have issues - this is a super rough guide and I’m hoping to turn it into blog posts at some point to save others some pain…

Thank you for replying and your efforts, I did run all foreman installer config as you suggested above and it was successful but after running that, when I go back into Subnet config, in proxy tab, its all blank. I tried rebooting the server too but still no go.

thank you Areyus! I’ll try that and will keep you posted.

The plug-in Areyus is referring to is the one that’s deprecated… Did you run the foreman installer command?

I’ll be able to help more on Monday if still having trouble…

Sorry, meant to say -

Did you run the foreman installer command including all the flags I mentioned?

yes ran all as you suggested per our env.

I just spun up a virtual lab and that proxies tab seems to come up just fine.

One thing to try - go into the Domains tab and add whatever your domain is, then check that Proxies tab again.

Did you edit the commands before using them? You need to edit them as appropriate for your environment. For example, here’s mine from the lab I just spun up.

foreman-installer \
  --enable-foreman-proxy \
  --foreman-proxy-tftp=true \
  --foreman-proxy-tftp-servername=10.21.30.3 \
  --foreman-proxy-dhcp=true \
  --foreman-proxy-dhcp-interface=enp0s8 \
  --foreman-proxy-dhcp-gateway="10.21.30.1" \
  --foreman-proxy-dhcp-nameservers="10.21.30.3" \
  --foreman-proxy-dns=true \
  --foreman-proxy-dns-interface=enp0s8 \
  --foreman-proxy-dns-zone=riff.cc \
  --foreman-proxy-dns-reverse=30.21.10.in-addr.arpa \
  --foreman-proxy-dns-forwarders=8.8.8.8 \
  --foreman-proxy-dns-forwarders=8.8.4.4 \
  --foreman-proxy-foreman-base-url=https://fm-master2.riff.cc

My server has the hostname fm-master2.riff.cc, the IP 10.21.30.3, and the gateway of 10.21.30.1.

Good luck.

Hi there,

I may have figured out your issues. My test env was 1.20, not 1.22, so I didn’t see your issue properly.

First off, in the Subnet definition, change your “Network Address” to match your network - in my case, it should have been 10.30.50.0, not 10.30.50.5

Secondly, go into Infrastructure -> Smart Proxies -> click your smart proxy -> click edit -> click save. This will put your smart proxy into the Default Organization and Default Location, after which it will show up in the Proxies tab of your subnet settings.

Thank you Wings, it worked and I just came back from my vacation.

On next step while creating a host and configuring the interface, and submitting the request, I am getting DHCP error (screenshot enclosed). Could you guide me on this one?

Can you please screenshot your subnet settings so I can take a look? It’s also worth checking that dhcpd is running.

Also, for the parameter “foreman-proxy-dhcp-interface=enp0s8” ensure you’ve chosen your Ethernet adapter properly.

1 Like

yes, please see below:

I mean under Infrastructure -> Subnets

Hey Benjamin,

While provisioning a blade with ubuntu, I am seeing below boot error, could you please take a look and guide on this one:

production.log:1287:2019-07-30T05:59:36 [I|app|59de8597] Remove puppet certificate for bc4-b1 .vpc.dev.scl1.us.tribalfusion.net

production.log:1288:2019-07-30T05:59:36 [W|app|59de8597] Cleanup PuppetCA certificates for bc4-b1 .vpc.dev.scl1.us.tribalfusion.net task failed with the following error: ERF12-7740 a

production.log:1289:ProxyAPI::ProxyException: ERF12-7740 [ProxyAPI::ProxyException]: Unable to delete PuppetCA certificate for bc4-b1 .vpc.dev.scl1.us.tribalfusion.net ([RestClient:a

production.log:1401:2019-07-30T05:59:36 [W|app|59de8597] Rolling back due to a problem: [#<Orchestration::Task:0x007ff9763a2d80 @name="Cleanup PuppetCA certificates for bc4-b1 .vpc.]

production.log:1402:2019-07-30T05:59:36 [I|app|59de8597] Redirected to https://viforeman-01.vpc.dev.scl1.us.tribalfusion.net/hosts/ bc4-b1 .vpc.dev.scl1.us.tribalfusion.net

production.log:1410:2019-07-30T05:59:37 [I|app|83b6a108] Started GET “/hosts/ bc4-b1 .vpc.dev.scl1.us.tribalfusion.net” for 10.99.31.247 at 2019-07-30 05:59:37 -0700

production.log:1412:2019-07-30T05:59:37 [I|app|83b6a108] Parameters: {“id”=>" bc4-b1 .vpc.dev.scl1.us.tribalfusion.net"}

Thanks.

I would have a look at the Proxy logs for the details on why it failed. These can be found on that server in /var/log/foreman-proxy.