Content Hosts OS no populated

Problem:
In All Hosts the Operating system is not populated. Same in Content host and in the details of each server registered all other information is filled out however the OS is empty.

Expected outcome:
OS field to be populated

Foreman and Proxy versions:
katello 3.8 foreman-1.19

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:

Other relevant data:
this is a fresh install of 3.8 installed according to Foreman :: Plugin Manuals

logs

Hello, can you provide more details? You registered those hosts via puppet/facter?

they were registered to katello via subscription-manager using activation key.

foreman/katello is able to pick up everything such as arch/cpu/memory but just the OS field is empty.

Are your operating systems correctly listed in Hosts > Operating Systems?

yes they are listed…
3 times were listed but Hosts shows 0 on each one

CentOS 6.10
CentOS 7
CentOS 7.5.1804

Are Lifecycle Environments and Content Views set and connected to the activation keys?

Yes the lifecycle and content views are set and connected to activation keys

in Lifecycle
CentOS-7
Content Views 1
Content Hosts 8

in activation key it shows the correct Environment/Content view
CentOS-7 8 out of Unlimited CentOS-7 CentOS-7

just to add some more details when i goto Hosts -> Architectures it lists both i386 and x86_64 and the count is correct and the OS is listed there
x86_64 CentOS 7.5.1804, CentOS 7, and CentOS 6.10 8
i386 0 Hosts -> Architectures it lists both i386 and x86_64 and the count is correct and the OS is listed there
x86_64 CentOS 7.5.1804, CentOS 7, and CentOS 6.10 8
i386 0

however when i goto Hosts -> Operation system it shows
Centos CentOS 6.10 0
Centos CentOS 7 0
Centos CentOS 7.5.1804 0

also in Monitor->Statistics most widgets show “No Data Available” except for Architecture/Location/Organization

I think I’m having this same problem after a new build of Katello 3.10 and foreman 1.20. Here’s a screenshot of the Content Hosts page (though it also does not display on the main Hosts page).

You can see that CentOS 6 hosts have the OS listed correctly, but Centos 7 hosts do not (except the foreman server).

If I look at the facts, I see distribution::version being set for the hosts: CentOS 6 hosts report version.subversion (ex: 6.9), while CentOS 7 hosts only report version (ex: 7).

In the table, you can see that the main foreman server is listed as 7.6.1810. A search for that value shows up as facts.os::release::full. However, it is the only host that has that value set. I assume this is related?

Like the original posted, my hosts were registered via the command line:

yum -y install subscription-manager
yum -y install http://foreman.mydomain/pub/katello-ca-consumer-latest.noarch.rpm
subscription-manager register --org="mydomain" --activationkey="CentOS7"
yum -y install https://yum.theforeman.org/client/1.20/el7/x86_64/foreman-client-release.rpm
yum -y install katello-agent

Not a huge issue for us, but any help would be appreciated. I’m new at working with this stack, so mistakes on my part are certainly highly probable.

Thanks!

Once we installed puppet-agent on the host, the operating system began appearing as expected. Sorry for the trouble.

This does sound like a possible bug in either subscription manager or the way we process facts from it. Can you open a bug report about it on projects.theforeman.org under the katello project so we can try to figure it out?