Could not calculate errata status, ensure host is registered and the katello-host-tools package is installed

**Problem: getting a warning on a host:
Could not calculate errata status, ensure host is registered and the katello-host-tools package is installed

Expected outcome:
host should check in properly and not give error

Foreman and Proxy versions:

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:
katello 3.7

Other relevant data:
host that is giving the warning does not show katello-host-tools installed:
rpm -qa | grep katello
katello-agent-fact-plugin-2.7.0-1.el7.noarch
katello-client-repos-3.2.0-4.el7.noarch
katello-ca-consumer-dgeforeman.dge.local-1.0-1.noarch
katello-agent-2.7.0-1.el7.noarch

no idea why host tools is not installed. I am able to see it in foreman and it is sending reports and i was able to push updates via katello to it. Pretty much everything is working correctly but i am getting that warning above and was wondering if there was a way to clear it?

thank you!

The katello-host-tools package reports errata & package profile information, but does not allow you to run remote actions on the clients.

Remote executions are managed by Foreman Remote Execution or Ansible Remote Execution.

Does the error disappear if you install katello-host-tools on the client?

oh ok that clears some things up.

when i tried to install the host tools i get this:

No package katello-host-tools available.

It looks like the Katello client software available to that client is from version 3.2 - you need 3.4 or higher to get katello-host-tools. You should figure out how to make 3.7 or higher available to that client and then try to install the package.

ok i updated to 3.7 its still giving me that warning and another one now

Traces One or more processes require restarting

So make sure you have katello-host-tools-tracer installed

Run a katello-tracer-upload from the guest

If after that is run, you still the same message then this is an indication that you applied patches to software that needs to be restarted before the patch will take full effect. This will probably include goferd (katello-agent) since you likely upgrade it to the 3.7 version. You can restart the processes from Foreman WebUI by going to the client, clicking on the content button. Once you are in the content view for that client, there is a tab called “Traces”. In the Traces view, you can see which services need to be restarted and even schedule a restart for the ones that need it.

You can also simply reboot the host if the kernel was recently updated which will also clear the pending traces (assumming the downtime is permisssible).

awesome! katello-host-tools-tracer wasnt installed so i went ahead and installed that and ran that command which cleared that warning.

however i still have that warning about the host tools.