Debian 11 host Warning: No installed packages and/or enabled repositories have been reported by subscription-manager

Problem:
Added a Debian 11 (Bullseye) host following the instructions from https://apt.atix.de/

After that, the host appears on the hosts list in Katello, but it returns the following warning:
No installed packages and/or enabled repositories have been reported by subscription-manager

Also, the Debian host doesn’t show any upgradable packages in Katello, despite of having at least one upgradable package.

Expected outcome:
I have other CenOs 7 and 8 hosts managed by the same Foreman system. When they return this warning, it usually goes away by starting the goferd service. However, this service doesn’t seem to exist in Debian, or to be available in any packages.

Foreman and Proxy versions:

• foreman-3.3.1-1.el8.noarch
  • foreman-cli-3.3.1-1.el8.noarch
  • foreman-client-release-3.3.1-1.el8.noarch
  • foreman-debug-3.3.1-1.el8.noarch
  • foreman-dynflow-sidekiq-3.3.1-1.el8.noarch
  • foreman-installer-3.3.1-2.el8.noarch
  • foreman-installer-katello-3.3.1-2.el8.noarch
  • foreman-postgresql-3.3.1-1.el8.noarch
  • foreman-proxy-3.3.1-1.el8.noarch
  • foreman-release-3.3.1-1.el8.noarch
  • foreman-selinux-3.3.1-1.el8.noarch
  • foreman-service-3.3.1-1.el8.noarch
  • katello-4.5.0-1.el8.noarch
  • katello-agent-3.5.7-5.el8.noarch
  • katello-ca-consumer-esinfra-foreman.esinfra.local-1.0-1.noarch
  • katello-certs-tools-2.9.0-1.el8.noarch
  • katello-client-bootstrap-1.7.9-1.el8.noarch
  • katello-common-4.5.0-1.el8.noarch
  • katello-debug-4.5.0-1.el8.noarch
  • katello-host-tools-3.5.7-5.el8.noarch
  • katello-host-tools-tracer-3.5.7-5.el8.noarch
  • katello-repos-4.5.0-1.el8.noarch
  • katello-selinux-4.0.2-1.el8.noarch

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:
foreman-release.noarch 3.3.1-1.el8
foreman-proxy.noarch 3.3.1-1.el8

Distribution and version:
Centos 8 for the Foreman+Katello server
Debian 11 for the host

Other relevant data:

1 Like

I have just noticed the same thing with my debian10 test client. My client is bound to the Library/Default Organization View. subscription-manager repos on the client shows all rpm repos but no deb repos. The server provides the deb repos on the /pulp/deb/ORG/Library/custom/… URI so it’s there. debian 10 buster repos are set to enabled in the repository set of the client. So they should be there.

I am using simple content access. Maybe that’s the reason?

Hi,

I think we have different problems. On my side, subscription-manager repos returns the right DEB repos (the ones already configured on the Foreman content view).

The real funny thing is that the Debian host is already working against the repos configured in Foreman, and when queried locally via apt list --upgradable it says one package can be upgraded. But when browsed in the Foreman web console, it says 0 errata, 0 upgrades, etc…

This, combined with the message No installed packages and/or enabled repositories have been reported by subscription-manager makes me think the communication goes only in one direction: from the foreman server to the debian host, but not the other way around.

Seems like the Debian host is missing an agent or some kind of service. I have googled this forum and the whole internet trying to figure out which service it is, or how to install goferd in Debian, without success…

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

@gvde Simple content access is untested and most likely broken for Debian. It is on our todo list… I am not sure to what extent it is possible to enable simple content access only for RPM, but not for Debian. :disappointed:

@javieitez I believe your issue means that apt-transport-katello is not installed on your Debian host. This should eventually be a dependency of subscription-manager for Debian, but I am not sure for what versions this has already been fixed. For now the workaround is just to install the dependency manually. Once apt-transport-katello is installed, the next APT package action should trigger your Debian host uploading a list of installed packages to Katello.

Too bad. As subscriptions are being deprecated I have set up my new foreman servers with SCA right from the start. As I had to migrate all my clients to the new servers it seemed like the right time to do that.

Your thinking makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, we are still playing catch up with Pulp 3 and EL8 and just did not have the capacity yet to look into how “simple content access” affects Debian…

Thank you, @quba42

apt-transport-katellois already installed

apt-transport-katello/stable,now 1.28.24-8 all [installed]
  Katello transport plugin for apt

I have tried reinstalling, just in case. No success.

When I perform apt update or apt-get update, it returns the following:

:~# apt-get update
Exception ignored in: <module 'threading' from '/usr/lib/python3.9/threading.py'>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/threading.py", line 1388, in _shutdown
    def _shutdown():
KeyboardInterrupt:

not sure if it’s related to katello transport

@javieitez I think I may have mixed up apt-transport-katello with katello-upload-profile in my brain, do you already have katello-upload-profile installed?

yes, it’s installed too

katello-upload-profile/stable,now 1.28.24-8 all [installed]
  deb_package_profile_upload for katello

Can you try installing any one package on your Debian host manually (to see if that will trigger the upload of the packages list to Katello), e.g.: apt-get install vim

I have installed iotop, nothing happens in katello :frowning:

I’ve found this on /var/log/syslog on the Debian host

Oct 27 10:20:57 debtestvm puppet-agent[574]: Wrapped exception:
Oct 27 10:20:57 debtestvm puppet-agent[574]: Failed to open TCP connection to *********-foreman.*********.local:8140 (Connection refused - connect(2) for "*********-foreman.*********.local" port 8140)
Oct 27 10:20:57 debtestvm puppet-agent[574]: No more routes to ca

Does apt-transport-katello rely on puppet? Do I need to configure a puppet service on the katello server in order to handle the requests from the Debian and Ubuntu hosts?

Certainly, nothing is listening on port 8140 on the katello server.

Possibly, this surpasses my knowledge. I have passed this thread along to some colleagues who may know more, but I am not sure when they will get around to it (currently on holiday).

Thank you so much, really appreciated :pray:t4:

Another interesting fact, regarding this:

Each time I install or reinstall a package, the message No installed packages and/or enabled repositories have been reported by subscription-manager. is refreshed.

So, there is, in fact, some communication between the Debian host and Katello.

Hi,

the apt-transport-katello does not rely on puppet.

The communication is only Client → Foreman querying all needed information (like which repos to enable) and accessing the repos itself. So in theory if you do not use remote execution, you should not need any communication from Foreman → Client in my understanding.

Since the repositories itself seem to work, the problem is probably not in the subscription-manager itself but the upload of the package list. This includes the installed packages, enabled repositories (and maybe facts from the subscription-manager but I am not sure on this). I do not know if there were changes in Katello, which might cause errors. At the moiment I have only a system on 3.1/4.3 to test it but I cannot reproduce an error like that.

1 Like

Testing with Foreman 3.4 I get an error after installing a package but the traceback is different from yours. If I look at the syslog I get logentries regarding an error with gpgconf because /usr/lib/gnupg/scdaemon seems not to be installed. Can you check if your syslog shows something similar?

Hi

GNUPG seems to be running fine in the Debian Host. From /var/log/syslog

Oct 31 09:04:02 ********* systemd[3081131]: Listening on GnuPG network certificate management daemon.
Oct 31 09:04:02 ********* systemd[3081131]: Listening on GnuPG cryptographic agent and passphrase cache (access for web browsers).
Oct 31 09:04:02 ********* systemd[3081131]: Listening on GnuPG cryptographic agent and passphrase cache (restricted).
Oct 31 09:04:02 ********* systemd[3081131]: Listening on GnuPG cryptographic agent (ssh-agent emulation).
Oct 31 09:04:02 ********* systemd[3081131]: Listening on GnuPG cryptographic agent and passphrase cache.

@gvde So I brought up SCA with Debian content internally, and was told that we have done some testing that suggests it does in principle work, so the issues you have hit might be a special case or maybe I was mistaken and they are completely independent of SCA…

Just for the record, remote execution works fine too. I can update the Debian host from Katello without issues, except for the aforementioned warning.

1 Like