Deploy from historic Content View

Sorry to post a question like this, but my current test system is borked.

Can I select a historical version of a Content View to create repeatable builds? i.e. if I deploy a host using version X of a Content View, but need to rebuild that host at some point later, can I select version X of the Content View even though N releases have been made, making the latest version X+N?

I think this is good feature to have, we are creating content view version but its not possible easily to provision host from old CV unless i promote that CV version to that env again in that case we loss latest version…

Without promoting the old CV to the existing environment or a new environment there is no way to provision from that old CV version. The internals and design are what necessitate this. If we provide multi CV versions per environment we have to include version in the repo URLs which means clients have to re-register everytime a new version comes out to get the new repos. This breaks the seamless upgrade model for clients getting new content.

Is it possible to add the version selection of a CV as an option in the URL? So a normally structured URL would be aimed at the latest version of the CV, but the addition of /ver/2.1 or something would trigger using that specific CV? Following deployment, the registration would be moved to the latest published version. Does this sound feasible at all?

Otherwise, is there any other way to ensure a fully repeatable build once patches have been added to CVs and published?