Dropping Debian ARM packages

Currently, our ARM Debian builders are running on sponsored Scaleway infrastructure. However, Scaleway is ending their ARM offering:

Starting from April 16th, 2020, it is no longer possible to create new C2 and ARM64 Instances. In addition, their support will end on July 1st, 2020. As a result, our technical assistance will no longer address issues related to those instances. A price increase is also to be expected on July 1st, 2020. Lastly, C2 and ARM64 Instances will be completely deprovisioned as of December 1st, 2020.

They have published a migration guide, but that sadly does not help us, as it’s about migrating to x86_64 systems.

As such, we’re left without support for our existing machines soon, and won’t be even able to use them by the end of this year.

Given the low usage of the ARM packages and the fact that ARM offerings with other providers are scarce and/or expensive, we as a project would like to drop those packages, unless there is sufficient interest in the community and someone who would sponsor machines/VMs.

With the “end of support” date coming soon, we would like not to ship Foreman 2.1 on ARM. If this affects you or your deployment, or if you’d like to help with continuing to support ARM offerings, please get in touch.

3 Likes

Over two weeks passed, so I’ve opened https://github.com/theforeman/foreman-infra/pull/1377

2 Likes

This now has been merged, so we don’t build ARM packages for 2.1 or nightly anymore.

2 Likes

Within about a week our nodes will no longer be supported. Additionally, there will be a price increase (which I haven’t been able to find how how much it will be). With 1.24 EOL and for just the ability to build 2.0.2 release, i think we might want to consider retiring these nodes now.

1 Like

I can sponsor an AWS node for building, just let me know the requirements for the node and I’ll have it up and running tonight or tomorrow.

4 Likes

Thank you very much for the donation! I’m sure the @infra team can take it from here.
Do you wish to be added to the Sponsors list? @mcorr can assist you with that.

1 Like

Currently we have some infra work to check. The ARM builders have access to push debs into our infra. Right now we have full control over the builders (other than our infra provider) so that’s not a problem. We should check if we can guarantee the integrity of the builds. I’ll try to have a look tomorrow.

Thanks, just in time.

Apple has confirmed ARM desktops/laptops this week. Finally some real desktop products coming out for us to play with. Unfortunately, it’s Apple, that’s a bummer :slight_smile: