Enable admins to merge Katello prs when red?

Hello,

In Foreman core, admins can bypass required checks on PRs and merge even if one of them is red. This is very useful e.g. when a PR fails on some known transient issue or due to network errors.

In Katello, red checks can’t be bypassed, meaning that CI has to be retriggered until all checks are green, sometimes multiple times (for example: https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/8676). Since tests commonly take over an hour, this can cause delays to merged known good PRs, as well as waste resources for unneeded CI runs.

I suggest changing the katello repo settings to allow admins to bypass the required checks, similar to the Foreman repo, or not mark the tests as a required, and trust all maintainer to know what they are doing when merging a PR that failed tests.
What do others think, specifically @katello team?

• Keep it as is
  • Allow admins to bypass required checks
  • Unmark tests as a required check

0 voters

I don’t think the ability to let admins’ ignore the check existed when we enabled it, I think that’s the only reason its the way it is today

@tbrisker is it now possible to allow this for repo admins rather than only org admins? As @Justin_Sherrill said, that’s a pretty recent version and I wasn’t aware of it.

I’m not sure if it’s org admins or repo admins - there is a setting for Include administrators - Enforce all configured restrictions above for administrators in the branch protection rules.

So i might change my vote here, as this actually caught the fact that db:seeding failed

This setting has now been changed, admins in the Katello repo can merge PRs even if the tests failed - but please make sure that the failure is a known transient issue and not related to the specific PR before using this option.