Ending support for Fedora 16

Greetings,

Fedora 16 was EOL'ed on February 12th of this year so I've been thinking about ending support for it over the past couple months. Here's what I propose for F16:

1. Leave the F16 packages in the 1.1 release directory
  2. Backport fixes for 1.1 as needed - we need to support the software people are already using
  3. Don't release F16 packages for 1.2+

Thoughts?

Also, now that Rails 3.2 support has been merged, there will be F18 packages in the nightlies soon and full support in 1.2.

-Sam

> Greetings,
>
> Fedora 16 was EOL'ed on February 12th of this year so I've been thinking about ending support for it over the past couple months. Here's what I propose for F16:
>
> 1. Leave the F16 packages in the 1.1 release directory
> 2. Backport fixes for 1.1 as needed - we need to support the software people are already using
> 3. Don't release F16 packages for 1.2+
>
> Thoughts?

Do you have some sort of package popularity contest? I ask because if
it is popular and maintaining support doesn't require much extra work,
then we probably should. IE: Might be easier than backporting
cherrypicked fixes?

··· On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Sam Kottler wrote:

Also, now that Rails 3.2 support has been merged, there will be F18 packages in the nightlies soon and full support in 1.2.

-Sam

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “foreman-dev” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

> Greetings,
>
> Fedora 16 was EOL'ed on February 12th of this year so I've been thinking about ending support for it over the past couple months. Here's what I propose for F16:
>
> 1. Leave the F16 packages in the 1.1 release directory
> 2. Backport fixes for 1.1 as needed - we need to support the software people are already using
> 3. Don't release F16 packages for 1.2+
>
> Thoughts?

1. and 3) work for me, I wouldn't spend effort supporting it beyond the
    lifecycle of the OS itself. Fedora's got a perfectly good upgrade path,
    so people can follow that and get F17 and F18 packages.

> Also, now that Rails 3.2 support has been merged, there will be F18 packages in the nightlies soon and full support in 1.2.

Nightlies! Can't wait!

··· On 03/04/13 18:41, Sam Kottler wrote:

Dominic Cleal
Red Hat Engineering

(apologies for the top reply)

Sorry I was unclear about the second item. I don't mean backporting anything other than what we normally would, just continuing to build F16 packages if there was a security update or the like that got cherry picked back to the 1.1-stable branch. In cases like that we should continue building new (say, 1.1-4) packages for F16.

And…yay for nightlies!

··· ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dominic Cleal" To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com Sent: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 2:00:42 PM Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Ending support for Fedora 16

On 03/04/13 18:41, Sam Kottler wrote:

Greetings,

Fedora 16 was EOL’ed on February 12th of this year so I’ve been thinking about ending support for it over the past couple months. Here’s what I propose for F16:

1. Leave the F16 packages in the 1.1 release directory
  2. Backport fixes for 1.1 as needed - we need to support the software people are already using
  3. Don’t release F16 packages for 1.2+

Thoughts?

1. and 3) work for me, I wouldn’t spend effort supporting it beyond the
    lifecycle of the OS itself. Fedora’s got a perfectly good upgrade path,
    so people can follow that and get F17 and F18 packages.

Nightlies! Can’t wait!

Dominic Cleal
Red Hat Engineering

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “foreman-dev” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.