Failed puppet reports to group

Just upgraded to Foreman 1.7.3 (from a very old version). One issue we're
seeing is if a server is owned by a group, failed puppet run reports only
go to the last person listed in that group.

For example, have the following group with members:

Administrators:

• Alfred Pence
  • Bob Smith
  • Frank Jones

If server web.example.com is owned by Administrators and has a failed
puppet run Frank Jones only gets the failed puppet run notice in his email.
If we take Frank out of the group, then Bob Smith will get it. Take both
Frank and Bob out of the group, then Alfred will get it.

Tried tracing through the code why this was happening and didn't get too
far. Would need to set up a Rails dev environment, which is a bit beyond
my ruby skills.

Filed a bug report for it.
http://projects.theforeman.org/issues/9873

··· On Thursday, March 19, 2015 at 12:54:57 PM UTC-4, Roger wrote: > > Just upgraded to Foreman 1.7.3 (from a very old version). One issue we're > seeing is if a server is owned by a group, failed puppet run reports only > go to the last person listed in that group. > > For example, have the following group with members: > > Administrators: > - Alfred Pence > - Bob Smith > - Frank Jones > > If server web.example.com is owned by Administrators and has a failed > puppet run Frank Jones only gets the failed puppet run notice in his email. > If we take Frank out of the group, then Bob Smith will get it. Take both > Frank and Bob out of the group, then Alfred will get it. > > > > >

It would seem rather weird I'm the only one experiencing this if it's just
a bug in the code and I doubt the rest of the world has all their servers
owned by individuals rather than groups.

Thus being the case, I'll spin of a clean instance of Foreman and see if I
can duplicated this.

Is rather frustrating.

··· On Thursday, March 19, 2015 at 12:54:57 PM UTC-4, Roger wrote: > > Just upgraded to Foreman 1.7.3 (from a very old version). One issue we're > seeing is if a server is owned by a group, failed puppet run reports only > go to the last person listed in that group. > > For example, have the following group with members: > > Administrators: > - Alfred Pence > - Bob Smith > - Frank Jones > > If server web.example.com is owned by Administrators and has a failed > puppet run Frank Jones only gets the failed puppet run notice in his email. > If we take Frank out of the group, then Bob Smith will get it. Take both > Frank and Bob out of the group, then Alfred will get it. > > > > >

That's an irritating bug, yeah. Did you have any luck reproducing it?

··· On 27 March 2015 at 14:29, Roger wrote: > It would seem rather weird I'm the only one experiencing this if it's just a > bug in the code and I doubt the rest of the world has all their servers > owned by individuals rather than groups. > > Thus being the case, I'll spin of a clean instance of Foreman and see if I > can duplicated this. > > Is rather frustrating.

I updated our own Foreman instance to 1.8.0-RC2 today and hit the same
bug. I'm working on a patch now.

··· On 27/03/15 14:29, Roger wrote: > It would seem rather weird I'm the only one experiencing this if it's > just a bug in the code and I doubt the rest of the world has all their > servers owned by individuals rather than groups. > > Thus being the case, I'll spin of a clean instance of Foreman and see if > I can duplicated this. > > Is rather frustrating.

Dominic Cleal
Red Hat Engineering