Failed to create vm with vsphere integration (Could not descend into . Please check your path.)

I think I found the problem myself.
It's because the Windows System for the vSphere and vSphere is installed in
German.
This leads to the base folders being named Datencenter instead of
Datacenters.
But in the code for the fog-gem Datacenter is hard coded so this might
never work when used in other localizations.

Never mind sorry for bothering
Marc.

··· Am Donnerstag, 14. Februar 2013 14:24:23 UTC+1 schrieb Marc Grimme: > > Hi, > I tried to integrated VMware vSphere into foreman (1.1) with RHEL6. > I could successfully set up foreman (from the installer) and everything is > running just fine so far. > > I then integrated the test vSphere installation (all 5.1.0a) into foreman > and it also looked quite ok (No failures so far). Added the compute > resource successfully. > > But when I try to create a new vm I get the following error while foreman > is trying to create the vm. > From the logs I could gather the following information: > > Adding Compute instance for mg-vmware-test1.qa.atix > Failed to create a compute axref201.qa.atix (VMWare) instance > mg-vmware-test1.qa.atix: failed to create vm: Could not descend into . > Please check your path. /Datencenter/axref200/vm/Linux > /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fog-1.9.0/lib/fog/vsphere/requests/compute/create_vm.rb:26:in > `create_vm' > /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fog-1.9.0/lib/fog/vsphere/models/compute/server.rb:172:in > `save' > /usr/share/foreman/lib/foreman/model/vmware.rb:86:in `create_vm' > /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.20/lib/active_record/associations/association_proxy.rb:227:in > `send' > /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.20/lib/active_record/associations/association_proxy.rb:227:in > `method_missing' > /usr/share/foreman/app/models/orchestration/compute.rb:59:in `setCompute' > /usr/share/foreman/app/models/orchestration.rb:151:in `send' > /usr/share/foreman/app/models/orchestration.rb:151:in `execute' > /usr/share/foreman/app/models/orchestration.rb:91:in `process' > /usr/share/foreman/app/models/orchestration.rb:83:in `each' > /usr/share/foreman/app/models/orchestration.rb:83:in `process' > /usr/share/foreman/app/models/orchestration.rb:21:in `on_save' > /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-3.0.20/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:520:in > `_run_save_callbacks' > /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.20/lib/active_record/callbacks.rb:273:in > `create_or_update' > /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.20/lib/active_record/persistence.rb:40:in > `save' > /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.20/lib/active_record/validations.rb:43:in > `save' > /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.20/lib/active_record/attribute_methods/dirty.rb:21:in > `save' > /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.20/lib/active_record/transactions.rb:240:in > `save' > /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.20/lib/active_record/transactions.rb:292:in > `with_transaction_returning_status' > .. > > Looks like somehow the program cannot descend into the appropriate VM > folder on the vSphere server.. > > Any ideas on how to proceed from here? > > Thanks for your help > Marc. >

> I think I found the problem myself.
> It's because the Windows System for the vSphere and vSphere is installed
> in German.
> This leads to the base folders being named Datencenter instead of
> Datacenters.
> But in the code for the fog-gem Datacenter is hard coded so this might
> never work when used in other localizations.
>
> Never mind sorry for bothering
> Marc.
>

Did you try changing the fog code? just change it accordinigly and see?
We could try to support that within Fog

Ohad

··· On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Marc Grimme wrote:

Am Donnerstag, 14. Februar 2013 14:24:23 UTC+1 schrieb Marc Grimme:

Hi,
I tried to integrated VMware vSphere into foreman (1.1) with RHEL6.
I could successfully set up foreman (from the installer) and everything
is running just fine so far.

I then integrated the test vSphere installation (all 5.1.0a) into foreman
and it also looked quite ok (No failures so far). Added the compute
resource successfully.

But when I try to create a new vm I get the following error while foreman
is trying to create the vm.
From the logs I could gather the following information:

Adding Compute instance for mg-vmware-test1.qa.atix
Failed to create a compute axref201.qa.atix (VMWare) instance
mg-vmware-test1.qa.atix: failed to create vm: Could not descend into .
Please check your path. /Datencenter/axref200/vm/Linux
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fog-1.9.0/lib/fog/vsphere/
requests/compute/create_vm.rb:**26:in create_vm' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/**fog-1.9.0/lib/fog/vsphere/** models/compute/server.rb:172:**insave’
/usr/share/foreman/lib/**foreman/model/vmware.rb:86:in create_vm' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/**activerecord-3.0.20/lib/** active_record/associations/**association_proxy.rb:227:insend’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.20/lib/
active_record/associations/**association_proxy.rb:227:in method_missing' /usr/share/foreman/app/**models/orchestration/compute.**rb:59:insetCompute’
/usr/share/foreman/app/**models/orchestration.rb:151:in send' /usr/share/foreman/app/**models/orchestration.rb:151:inexecute’
/usr/share/foreman/app/**models/orchestration.rb:91:in process' /usr/share/foreman/app/**models/orchestration.rb:83:ineach’
/usr/share/foreman/app/**models/orchestration.rb:83:in process' /usr/share/foreman/app/**models/orchestration.rb:21:inon_save’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-3.0.20/lib/
active_support/callbacks.rb:**520:in _run_save_callbacks' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/**activerecord-3.0.20/lib/** active_record/callbacks.rb:**273:increate_or_update’
active_record/persistence.rb:**40:in save' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/**activerecord-3.0.20/lib/** active_record/validations.rb:**43:insave’
active_record/attribute_**methods/dirty.rb:21:in save' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/**activerecord-3.0.20/lib/** active_record/transactions.rb:**240:insave’
active_record/transactions.rb:292:in `with_transaction_returning_
status’

Looks like somehow the program cannot descend into the appropriate VM
folder on the vSphere server…

Any ideas on how to proceed from here?

Thanks for your help
Marc.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Foreman users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users?hl=en.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.