Foreman 1.16RC2, orgs/locations question

Couple questions, is this expected behavior?

So I've noticed that Foreman seems to be a bit picky about the organization
when it comes to subnets, specifically subnet6 in my case. When I attempt
to use a subnet that is within the organizational tree (higher tier) I
expect that it will be allowed for any other org under it. However if it's
not specifically set for the organization building the host I get the
following error.

2017-11-07 15:59:41 3dc15ff2 [app] [I] Failed to save: Subnet is not defined
for host's organization., Subnet6 is not defined for host's organization.

For example the organization is this.

-Foo
–Management
—Secretary
–Engineers
—Technical
—Software

Such that Management is under Foo (foo/management)… etc
foo/engineers/technical, foo/engineers/software etc.

When I attempt to build a host as org "foo/engineers/technical" it won't
build if it only has organization of "foo". I expected it would because
"foo" includes everything below it. However to get it to work I had to set
the organization to "foo/engineers/technical" to get it to work.

The other thing I noticed was when building a host in with host group the
virtual settings were slightly wonky.

Say you have a host groups setup like this.

Common
-Generic
–STTLPOP
–DLLPOP
-Mail
–STTLPOP
–DLLPOP

So that you're working with hostgroups that are nested like
"Common/Generic/STTLPOP" and "Common/Mail/DLLPOP".

If I set the "compute profile option" for a node below "Common" such as
"DLLPOP" or "STTLPOP" to "inherit" when building you'd have to select the
cluster/guest os/resource pool and many other virtual machine settings. If
you do not use inherit and set to "Small" it will work normally.

I was expecting since all pops/DCs would have a compute profile "small"
that it would be selected from the right compute resource.

The nesting organizations is very complex topic that is being
discusses every now and then,
but we haven't come to a good solution so far.

Perhaps there are users here that can talk more on how they use
nesting successfully for
them. My understanding is that this is not widely used feature with
corner-cases that are hard
to address given the current way the orgs/locations work.

IMO it would need untrivial amount of focused developer's to make this work more
intuitively, and probably would need some backward-uncompatible
changes. It always looks
quite simple at the beginning, but once one starts to go deeper
through the details, it's starts
falling apart.

– Ivan

··· On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 5:34 PM, Mike Wilson wrote: > Couple questions, is this expected behavior? > > So I've noticed that Foreman seems to be a bit picky about the organization > when it comes to subnets, specifically subnet6 in my case. When I attempt to > use a subnet that is within the organizational tree (higher tier) I expect > that it will be allowed for any other org under it. However if it's not > specifically set for the organization building the host I get the following > error. > > 2017-11-07 15:59:41 3dc15ff2 [app] [I] Failed to save: Subnet is not defined > for host's organization., Subnet6 is not defined for host's organization. > > For example the organization is this. > > -Foo > --Management > ---Secretary > --Engineers > ---Technical > ---Software > > Such that Management is under Foo (foo/management)... etc > foo/engineers/technical, foo/engineers/software etc. > > When I attempt to build a host as org "foo/engineers/technical" it won't > build if it only has organization of "foo". I expected it would because > "foo" includes everything below it. However to get it to work I had to set > the organization to "foo/engineers/technical" to get it to work. > > > The other thing I noticed was when building a host in with host group the > virtual settings were slightly wonky. > > Say you have a host groups setup like this. > > Common > -Generic > --STTLPOP > --DLLPOP > -Mail > --STTLPOP > --DLLPOP > > So that you're working with hostgroups that are nested like > "Common/Generic/STTLPOP" and "Common/Mail/DLLPOP". > > If I set the "compute profile option" for a node below "Common" such as > "DLLPOP" or "STTLPOP" to "inherit" when building you'd have to select the > cluster/guest os/resource pool and many other virtual machine settings. If > you do not use inherit and set to "Small" it will work normally. > > I was expecting since all pops/DCs would have a compute profile "small" that > it would be selected from the right compute resource. > > > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "Foreman users" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Understood. I'm ok with how I resolved the issue (so long as I can resolve
the subnet permissions issue) but thought I would ask because it did seem
to be different than one would expect.

··· On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 5:44:51 AM UTC-6, Ivan Necas wrote: > > The nesting organizations is very complex topic that is being > discusses every now and then, > but we haven't come to a good solution so far. > > Perhaps there are users here that can talk more on how they use > nesting successfully for > them. My understanding is that this is not widely used feature with > corner-cases that are hard > to address given the current way the orgs/locations work. > > IMO it would need untrivial amount of focused developer's to make this > work more > intuitively, and probably would need some backward-uncompatible > changes. It always looks > quite simple at the beginning, but once one starts to go deeper > through the details, it's starts > falling apart. > > -- Ivan > > On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 5:34 PM, Mike Wilson > wrote: > > Couple questions, is this expected behavior? > > > > So I've noticed that Foreman seems to be a bit picky about the > organization > > when it comes to subnets, specifically subnet6 in my case. When I > attempt to > > use a subnet that is within the organizational tree (higher tier) I > expect > > that it will be allowed for any other org under it. However if it's not > > specifically set for the organization building the host I get the > following > > error. > > > > 2017-11-07 15:59:41 3dc15ff2 [app] [I] Failed to save: Subnet is not > defined > > for host's organization., Subnet6 is not defined for host's > organization. > > > > For example the organization is this. > > > > -Foo > > --Management > > ---Secretary > > --Engineers > > ---Technical > > ---Software > > > > Such that Management is under Foo (foo/management)... etc > > foo/engineers/technical, foo/engineers/software etc. > > > > When I attempt to build a host as org "foo/engineers/technical" it won't > > build if it only has organization of "foo". I expected it would because > > "foo" includes everything below it. However to get it to work I had to > set > > the organization to "foo/engineers/technical" to get it to work. > > > > > > The other thing I noticed was when building a host in with host group > the > > virtual settings were slightly wonky. > > > > Say you have a host groups setup like this. > > > > Common > > -Generic > > --STTLPOP > > --DLLPOP > > -Mail > > --STTLPOP > > --DLLPOP > > > > So that you're working with hostgroups that are nested like > > "Common/Generic/STTLPOP" and "Common/Mail/DLLPOP". > > > > If I set the "compute profile option" for a node below "Common" such as > > "DLLPOP" or "STTLPOP" to "inherit" when building you'd have to select > the > > cluster/guest os/resource pool and many other virtual machine settings. > If > > you do not use inherit and set to "Small" it will work normally. > > > > I was expecting since all pops/DCs would have a compute profile "small" > that > > it would be selected from the right compute resource. > > > > > > > > -- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > Groups > > "Foreman users" group. > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send > an > > email to foreman-user...@googlegroups.com . > > To post to this group, send email to forema...@googlegroups.com > . > > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users. > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >