Foreman 1.9 and 1.10 Locking vSphere Templates

Greetings,
I have tried foreman 1.9 and 1.10 (latest) with the vSphere compute
resource. Foreman ends up locking the vSphere template if I do any of the
following while provisioning a new node from template:

• Change the disk size of the disk image
  • Add an additional disk

Any ideas why foreman is locking the template?

Note, this didn't happen with foreman 1.7 or 1.8.

Here is the error message:
Failed to create a compute vSphere-PN (VMware) instance
foreman-test-11.config.landcareresearch.co.nz: FileLocked: Unable to access
file [PN_IBM_SAN_VM02] Ubuntu 14.04.1 Template/Ubuntu 14.04.1 Template.vmdk
since it is locked

That one is permission of the user to add the compute resource must be have
access to everything i use the administrator in mine and working fine but
if i try any other user with custom permission fail is something that is
missing in the custom permission but to no have more problems just using a
user with administrator rights. that resolve my issue that is the same like
yours

··· On Monday, November 2, 2015 at 10:00:39 AM UTC+11, Michael Speth wrote: > > Greetings, > I have tried foreman 1.9 and 1.10 (latest) with the vSphere compute > resource. Foreman ends up locking the vSphere template if I do any of the > following while provisioning a new node from template: > > - Change the disk size of the disk image > - Add an additional disk > > Any ideas why foreman is locking the template? > > Note, this didn't happen with foreman 1.7 or 1.8. > > Here is the error message: > Failed to create a compute vSphere-PN (VMware) instance > foreman-test-11.config.landcareresearch.co.nz: FileLocked: Unable to > access file [PN_IBM_SAN_VM02] Ubuntu 14.04.1 Template/Ubuntu 14.04.1 > Template.vmdk since it is locked >

It seems that after a VM creation, foreman is NOT unlocking the template.
Any idea why this is happening? I am not changing the virtual resources
as
in http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1007487.

··· On Friday, November 13, 2015 at 3:14:50 AM UTC+13, Mario Gamboa wrote: > > That one is permission of the user to add the compute resource must be > have access to everything i use the administrator in mine and working fine > but if i try any other user with custom permission fail is something that > is missing in the custom permission but to no have more problems just using > a user with administrator rights. that resolve my issue that is the same > like yours > > On Monday, November 2, 2015 at 10:00:39 AM UTC+11, Michael Speth wrote: >> >> Greetings, >> I have tried foreman 1.9 and 1.10 (latest) with the vSphere compute >> resource. Foreman ends up locking the vSphere template if I do any of the >> following while provisioning a new node from template: >> >> - Change the disk size of the disk image >> - Add an additional disk >> >> Any ideas why foreman is locking the template? >> >> Note, this didn't happen with foreman 1.7 or 1.8. >> >> Here is the error message: >> Failed to create a compute vSphere-PN (VMware) instance >> foreman-test-11.config.landcareresearch.co.nz: FileLocked: Unable to >> access file [PN_IBM_SAN_VM02] Ubuntu 14.04.1 Template/Ubuntu 14.04.1 >> Template.vmdk since it is locked >> >

So the problem is foreman is creating a new disk but using the Template's
DISK NOT the new disk. This is why its locking!!! Seems like this is a
bug in foreman!

··· On Friday, November 13, 2015 at 2:35:17 PM UTC+13, Michael Speth wrote: > > It seems that after a VM creation, foreman is NOT unlocking the template. > Any idea why this is happening? I am not changing the virtual resources > as in > http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1007487 > . > > On Friday, November 13, 2015 at 3:14:50 AM UTC+13, Mario Gamboa wrote: >> >> That one is permission of the user to add the compute resource must be >> have access to everything i use the administrator in mine and working fine >> but if i try any other user with custom permission fail is something that >> is missing in the custom permission but to no have more problems just using >> a user with administrator rights. that resolve my issue that is the same >> like yours >> >> On Monday, November 2, 2015 at 10:00:39 AM UTC+11, Michael Speth wrote: >>> >>> Greetings, >>> I have tried foreman 1.9 and 1.10 (latest) with the vSphere compute >>> resource. Foreman ends up locking the vSphere template if I do any of the >>> following while provisioning a new node from template: >>> >>> - Change the disk size of the disk image >>> - Add an additional disk >>> >>> Any ideas why foreman is locking the template? >>> >>> Note, this didn't happen with foreman 1.7 or 1.8. >>> >>> Here is the error message: >>> Failed to create a compute vSphere-PN (VMware) instance >>> foreman-test-11.config.landcareresearch.co.nz: FileLocked: Unable to >>> access file [PN_IBM_SAN_VM02] Ubuntu 14.04.1 Template/Ubuntu 14.04.1 >>> Template.vmdk since it is locked >>> >>

I have created a bug report
here: Bug #12487: Provisioning with Templates causes new VM to use Template Disk - Foreman

··· On Friday, November 13, 2015 at 2:59:55 PM UTC+13, Michael Speth wrote: > > So the problem is foreman is creating a new disk but using the Template's > DISK NOT the new disk. This is why its locking!!!! Seems like this is a > bug in foreman! > > On Friday, November 13, 2015 at 2:35:17 PM UTC+13, Michael Speth wrote: >> >> It seems that after a VM creation, foreman is NOT unlocking the template. >> Any idea why this is happening? I am not changing the virtual resources >> as in >> http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1007487 >> . >> >> On Friday, November 13, 2015 at 3:14:50 AM UTC+13, Mario Gamboa wrote: >>> >>> That one is permission of the user to add the compute resource must be >>> have access to everything i use the administrator in mine and working fine >>> but if i try any other user with custom permission fail is something that >>> is missing in the custom permission but to no have more problems just using >>> a user with administrator rights. that resolve my issue that is the same >>> like yours >>> >>> On Monday, November 2, 2015 at 10:00:39 AM UTC+11, Michael Speth wrote: >>>> >>>> Greetings, >>>> I have tried foreman 1.9 and 1.10 (latest) with the vSphere compute >>>> resource. Foreman ends up locking the vSphere template if I do any of the >>>> following while provisioning a new node from template: >>>> >>>> - Change the disk size of the disk image >>>> - Add an additional disk >>>> >>>> Any ideas why foreman is locking the template? >>>> >>>> Note, this didn't happen with foreman 1.7 or 1.8. >>>> >>>> Here is the error message: >>>> Failed to create a compute vSphere-PN (VMware) instance >>>> foreman-test-11.config.landcareresearch.co.nz: FileLocked: Unable to >>>> access file [PN_IBM_SAN_VM02] Ubuntu 14.04.1 Template/Ubuntu 14.04.1 >>>> Template.vmdk since it is locked >>>> >>>