Foreman 2.4.0-rc1 release process

Make this post a wiki

Manual updates: 2021-02-03

• Update manual if applicable for any additional installation steps
  • Update release notes section in the manual:
    • Release notes: bullet point list by category of all changes, include link to bug numbers. You can auto-generate changes using the release notes script.
    • CLI release notes are taken from the hammer-cli and hammer-cli-foreman changelogs
    • Link to installer changelogs and note versions being used
    • Headline features: half a dozen important features with a few sentences description each
    • Upgrade notes: all important notices that users must be aware of before upgrading
  • Update installer options section using the get-params script (Note: this step can only be done after packages are released)
  • Generate the apipie doc and place it in the api/2.4 directory

Preparing code: 2021-02-03

• Make patch releases of installer modules that have important changes
    • Branch to MAJ.MIN-stable if recent changes to the module aren’t suitable for patch (x.y.z) release
  • Remove/change target version field for any open Redmine tickets assigned to the release still (next minor, unset it or reject)
  • Ensure that code in git matches issues fixed in 2.4.0-rc1 in redmine. issues.rb can be used to generate a comparison between the two.

Tagging a release: 2021-02-03

• In foreman 2.4-stable:
    • Make sure test_2_4_stable is green
    • run make -C locale tx-update
    • Tag the release using tag.sh tag.sh 2.4.0-rc1 && git push upstream 2.4-stable --follow-tags
  • In smart-proxy 2.4-stable:
  • In foreman-selinux 2.4-stable:
    • Tag the release using tag.sh tag.sh 2.4.0-rc1 && git push upstream 2.4-stable --follow-tags
  • In foreman-installer 2.4-stable:
  • Run the Jenkins Tarballs Release to create tarballs
  • Update release version similar to here
  • Sign Tarballs

Note: If for some reason there was an issue with the tarballs that required uploading new tarballs, CDN cache should be invalidated so that the builders use the updated tarballs.

Packaging a release: 2021-02-03

Background documentation

After the packages have been released

• Announce the release on Discourse

• Update the topic in #theforeman channel on Freenode

• Share the release announcement on twitter

• Release pipeline will trigger plugins test pipeline, which doesn’t block releases but can be used to understand known issues around plugin compatibility with Foreman 2.4.

@upadhyeammit pipelines are done, so packages are published, you can announce.

however, plugins failed (foreman-plugins-2.4-test-pipeline 1 failed) and I didn’t have yet time to look why

1 Like

So the installer uses puppetlabs/postgresql 6.9.0 right now, and I remember @ekohl reporting issues with that. I don’t know why it would only happen on plugins (the normal pipes all passed), but I think we should downgrade that to < 6.9.0 until the issues are fixed.

The issues being: service restart doesn’t work, without any apparent reason

the fix might b (bug) reload the service after the deletion of old unit file by sheenaajay · Pull Request #1230 · puppetlabs/puppetlabs-postgresql · GitHub

Turns out there was another issue related to the same code:

It should be part of 6.10.0 which is being worked on.

To keep it complete here: my patch was merged but sadly it missed 6.10.0. 6.10.1 should include it.