Foreman 3.0 --- Environment column nao available on Hosts page

Problem: Column environments not showing on Hosts Page.

Expected outcome: Can see which environment the hosts belong accessing the Hosts Page

Foreman and Proxy versions:
Version 3.0.0

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:

Distribution and version: Ubuntu 20.04

Other relevant data:

Do you have the puppet plugin enabled? The environmets has been extracted with the rest of the puppet functionality.

Not sure if this is the plugin you are talkink about, but yes, I have this one enabled.

[foreman_puppet] (https://github.com/theforeman/foreman_puppet)
Allow assigning Puppet environments and classes to the Foreman Hosts.
Ondřej Ezr and Shira Maximov 1.0.0

That’s the one. It may be a bug, missing host detail page pagelet. Could you please upload a screenshot just to be sure we are on the same page? cc @ezr-ondrej and @nadjaheitmann

Seems to be missing, indeed. Between Operating system and Model, there used to be a Puppet Environment column, which is now gone.

Yes, I am not sure if this is bug or not … please check the screenshot …

This is a POC I am working on … if we can not have the column “Environments” this will be painful for operations as we have several rules over a lot of modules organizing the environment as “Environments”.

and this is what I have on the foreman version 2.5 … I was expecting to have the same view on version 3.0

I would like to know if this is a bug or if this view will no longer be available in version 3.0…

I would say it’s a missing feature. I opened an issue for this.

1 Like

The environment is no longer first class citizen in Foreman, so the Environment is no longer one of the main informations about Host.

I belive it should not be. There were ideas about general concept of Environment, that would not be so tightly related to puppet, but would serve as a general concept and could be used in Katello or other plugins as well. But this would require bit of redesigning.

On the one hand, it might be that important to you if you are using the plugin and want your Foreman to behave the same as before the extraction. On the other hand, it is easy to filter all hosts with specific environment setting using the search on top of the hosts page. @eWill Is your problem related to the column not being shown on the page? The host still has an environment column, but it is not shown.

1 Like

@eWill my theory is, that the column is used as a classifier for Host, so you want to see in which Environment the host is classified rather then the Puppet environment. Or am I wrong and you’re in need of the Puppet environment itself?

What I’m aiming at: I’d like to add a global Environment, that would only classify the host and would not be puppet specific. Puppet environments would then map to this environment.
Would that be something that would fit your usecase, or you only care about “What puppet env has the Host assigned”, but do not care about the classification derived from it (production/test/staging)?