Foreman and sles builds

I'd like to experiment with doing SLES builds through foreman. SLES
is not listed as a tested OS for this feature. Also, SLES uses
AutoYast and not kickstart for provisioning … but for all I know you
can perhaps easily configure kickstart to provision a SLES system?
I've not dealt with kickstart before so I'm not sure.

So does anyone have any experience trying to do this? Any places for
me to start looking at? If no and no I'll just have to start from
scratch when I have time and post my results. :wink:

I hope you like xml. I automated autoyast buildouts a few years ago so I might have some old notes if your interested. Not as easy as RHEL kickstarts in my opinion.

Corey

··· On May 24, 2011, at 1:48 PM, Jake - USPS wrote:

I’d like to experiment with doing SLES builds through foreman. SLES
I’ve not dealt with kickstart before so I’m not sure.

me to start looking at? If no and no I’ll just have to start from

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Foreman users” group.
To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users?hl=en.

I'm completely familiar with with autoyast and xml. We have a pretty
complex autoyast implementation here (ask sections, rules, classes,
scripting, merging … 1 profile to rule them all). I just wasn't
sure how foreman ties into it to get builds initiated through foreman,
if foreman is generating some base kickstart and if something similar
would be needed for autoyast … just how the process works in
general.

Thanks!
Jake

··· On May 24, 4:00 pm, Corey Osman wrote: > I hope you like xml. I automated autoyast buildouts a few years ago so I might have some old notes if your interested. Not as easy as RHEL kickstarts in my opinion. > > Corey > On May 24, 2011, at 1:48 PM, Jake - USPS wrote: > > > > > > > > > I'd like to experiment with doing SLES builds through foreman. SLES > > is not listed as a tested OS for this feature. Also, SLES uses > > AutoYast and not kickstart for provisioning ... but for all I know you > > can perhaps easily configure kickstart to provision a SLES system? > > I've not dealt with kickstart before so I'm not sure. > > > So does anyone have any experience trying to do this? Any places for > > me to start looking at? If no and no I'll just have to start from > > scratch when I have time and post my results. ;) > > > -- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Foreman users" group. > > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. > > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > > For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users?hl=en.

> I'm completely familiar with with autoyast and xml. We have a pretty
> complex autoyast implementation here (ask sections, rules, classes,
> scripting, merging … 1 profile to rule them all). I just wasn't
> sure how foreman ties into it to get builds initiated through foreman,
> if foreman is generating some base kickstart and if something similar
> would be needed for autoyast … just how the process works in
> general.
>
> adding a new os family into foreman should not be a big deal - in general
we need.

1. a new family type (similar to redhat and debian) - that should include
    things like where on the distribution the kernel is located etc
  2. templates - default templates for pxelinux, autoyast etc

If you like, we can probably chat a bit longer on irc

Ohad

··· On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 12:03 AM, Jake - USPS wrote:

Thanks!
Jake

On May 24, 4:00 pm, Corey Osman co...@logicminds.biz wrote:

I hope you like xml. I automated autoyast buildouts a few years ago so
I might have some old notes if your interested. Not as easy as RHEL
kickstarts in my opinion.

Corey
On May 24, 2011, at 1:48 PM, Jake - USPS wrote:

I’d like to experiment with doing SLES builds through foreman. SLES
I’ve not dealt with kickstart before so I’m not sure.

me to start looking at? If no and no I’ll just have to start from

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups “Foreman users” group.

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit this group athttp://
groups.google.com/group/foreman-users?hl=en.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Foreman users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users?hl=en.

I would also be very interested in building SLES machines with
foreman.

Please update this thread if you made any progress.

Thanks for the reply Ohad. I'm looking at the templates section. I
may be able to figure this out. I've done kickstart a couple times,
so hopefully by looking at the kickstart template I can figure out
what is needed at a minimum and translate that into an autoyast.xml
template that could be used. I'm getting excited.

We start AutoYast with PXE. It looks like I should be able to easily
adapt the kickstart PXE template into a new AutoYast one as well.

I wouldn't mind chatting more (in fact I would love to), unfortunately
it seems freenode.net is blocked from work. :frowning:

I'll keep you all posted on my progress. This is in my spare time as
right now most of my time is trying to get puppet and foreman
packaging completed to start deploying this in our environment.

Regards,
Jake

··· On May 25, 2:12 am, Ohad Levy wrote: > On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 12:03 AM, Jake - USPS wrote: > > > I'm completely familiar with with autoyast and xml. We have a pretty > > complex autoyast implementation here (ask sections, rules, classes, > > scripting, merging ... 1 profile to rule them all). I just wasn't > > sure how foreman ties into it to get builds initiated through foreman, > > if foreman is generating some base kickstart and if something similar > > would be needed for autoyast ... just how the process works in > > general. > > > adding a new os family into foreman should not be a big deal - in general > > we need. > > 1. a new family type (similar to redhat and debian) - that should include > things like where on the distribution the kernel is located etc > 2. templates - default templates for pxelinux, autoyast etc > > If you like, we can probably chat a bit longer on irc > > Ohad > > > > > > > > > Thanks! > > Jake > > > On May 24, 4:00 pm, Corey Osman wrote: > > > I hope you like xml. I automated autoyast buildouts a few years ago so > > I might have some old notes if your interested. Not as easy as RHEL > > kickstarts in my opinion. > > > > Corey > > > On May 24, 2011, at 1:48 PM, Jake - USPS wrote: > > > > > I'd like to experiment with doing SLES builds through foreman. SLES > > > > is not listed as a tested OS for this feature. Also, SLES uses > > > > AutoYast and not kickstart for provisioning ... but for all I know you > > > > can perhaps easily configure kickstart to provision a SLES system? > > > > I've not dealt with kickstart before so I'm not sure. > > > > > So does anyone have any experience trying to do this? Any places for > > > > me to start looking at? If no and no I'll just have to start from > > > > scratch when I have time and post my results. ;) > > > > > -- > > > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > > Groups "Foreman users" group. > > > > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. > > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to > > foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > > > > For more options, visit this group athttp:// > > groups.google.com/group/foreman-users?hl=en. > > > -- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > > "Foreman users" group. > > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. > > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to > > foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > > For more options, visit this group at > >http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users?hl=en.

I have attached a bunch of old yast configs I created a few years ago. Since I implemented suse auto import for cobbler I'll see if I can't dig my code up as it would be useful in finding where the kernel and boot img are located.

Corey

autoinst_i386.xml (16.5 KB)

··· On May 25, 2011, at 6:32 AM, Jake - USPS wrote:

Thanks for the reply Ohad. I’m looking at the templates section. I
may be able to figure this out. I’ve done kickstart a couple times,
so hopefully by looking at the kickstart template I can figure out
what is needed at a minimum and translate that into an autoyast.xml
template that could be used. I’m getting excited.

you can always do - http://webchat.freenode.net/
and of course
http://www.debuntu.org/2006/04/08/22-ssh-and-port-forwarding-or-how-to-get-through-a-firewall

Ohad

··· On Wed, 2011-05-25 at 06:32 -0700, Jake - USPS wrote: > I wouldn't mind chatting more (in fact I would love to), unfortunately > it seems freenode.net is blocked from work. :(

Are you talking about where its on the installation media? Like /boot/
<arch>/loader/* (initrd,linux,etc)? If so the path I just gave is for
SLES10 and SLES11 media … if not let me know what we are looking
for.

Regards,

··· On May 25, 1:53 pm, Corey Osman wrote: > I have attached a bunch of old yast configs I created a few years ago. Since I implemented suse auto import for cobbler I'll see if I can't dig my code up as it would be useful in finding where the kernel and boot img are located. > > Corey > On May 25, 2011, at 6:32 AM, Jake - USPS wrote: > > > > > > > > > Thanks for the reply Ohad. I'm looking at the templates section. I > > may be able to figure this out. I've done kickstart a couple times, > > so hopefully by looking at the kickstart template I can figure out > > what is needed at a minimum and translate that into an autoyast.xml > > template that could be used. I'm getting excited. > > > > autoinst_i386.xml > 29KViewDownload > > autoinst_new.xml > 29KViewDownload > > autoinst_x86_64.xml > 54KViewDownload > > autoyast_sles9_min.cfg > 5KViewDownload > > autoyast_sles9.cfg > 5KViewDownload > > autoyast_sles10.cfg > 6KViewDownload > > > > > > > > > > > > > We start AutoYast with PXE. It looks like I should be able to easily > > adapt the kickstart PXE template into a new AutoYast one as well. > > > I wouldn't mind chatting more (in fact I would love to), unfortunately > > it seems freenode.net is blocked from work. :( > > > I'll keep you all posted on my progress. This is in my spare time as > > right now most of my time is trying to get puppet and foreman > > packaging completed to start deploying this in our environment. > > > Regards, > > Jake > > > On May 25, 2:12 am, Ohad Levy wrote: > >> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 12:03 AM, Jake - USPS wrote: > > >>> I'm completely familiar with with autoyast and xml. We have a pretty > >>> complex autoyast implementation here (ask sections, rules, classes, > >>> scripting, merging ... 1 profile to rule them all). I just wasn't > >>> sure how foreman ties into it to get builds initiated through foreman, > >>> if foreman is generating some base kickstart and if something similar > >>> would be needed for autoyast ... just how the process works in > >>> general. > > >>> adding a new os family into foreman should not be a big deal - in general > > >> we need. > > >> 1. a new family type (similar to redhat and debian) - that should include > >> things like where on the distribution the kernel is located etc > >> 2. templates - default templates for pxelinux, autoyast etc > > >> If you like, we can probably chat a bit longer on irc > > >> Ohad > > >>> Thanks! > >>> Jake > > >>> On May 24, 4:00 pm, Corey Osman wrote: > >>>> I hope you like xml. I automated autoyast buildouts a few years ago so > >>> I might have some old notes if your interested. Not as easy as RHEL > >>> kickstarts in my opinion. > > >>>> Corey > >>>> On May 24, 2011, at 1:48 PM, Jake - USPS wrote: > > >>>>> I'd like to experiment with doing SLES builds through foreman. SLES > >>>>> is not listed as a tested OS for this feature. Also, SLES uses > >>>>> AutoYast and not kickstart for provisioning ... but for all I know you > >>>>> can perhaps easily configure kickstart to provision a SLES system? > >>>>> I've not dealt with kickstart before so I'm not sure. > > >>>>> So does anyone have any experience trying to do this? Any places for > >>>>> me to start looking at? If no and no I'll just have to start from > >>>>> scratch when I have time and post my results. ;) > > >>>>> -- > >>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > >>> Groups "Foreman users" group. > >>>>> To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. > >>>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to > >>> foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > >>>>> For more options, visit this group athttp:// > >>> groups.google.com/group/foreman-users?hl=en. > > >>> -- > >>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > >>> "Foreman users" group. > >>> To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. > >>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to > >>> foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > >>> For more options, visit this group at > >>>http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users?hl=en. > > > -- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Foreman users" group. > > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. > > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > > For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users?hl=en.