place to troubleshoot it (there's nothing in the logs that I can see and
nothing obvious when I google it)?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards,
David

"Puppet" is a subheading, it's a category for the items below it in the
menu (environments, classes etc). It's grey because it's a heading, not
because it's disabled.

··· On 10/06/14 08:35, david.e.evans@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I've just used the foreman installer to install Foreman 1.5 and Puppet > server 3.6.1. I'm still trying to find my feet as to how it all fits > together, but I've been able to add a couple of clients, define > non-production environments and import some puppet classes from puppet > forge, so it seems to be working. > > My quick/dumb question is what does the PUPPET option under the > Configure menu do (just to be clear - this is the main menu that > features 'Host groups', 'Global Parameters', etc)? Presently it is > greyed out, which makes me think that something is broken in my > installation, but I am not sure if that is the case or not? What am I > missing by not having that option available? Assuming that I should > have that option available what is likely to have gone wrong during the > installation and what is the best place to troubleshoot it (there's > nothing in the logs that I can see and nothing obvious when I google it)?

Dominic Cleal
Red Hat Engineering

David,

I'd start with our manual which can give you decent overview about what
Foreman does and what you can configure.

http://theforeman.org/manuals/1.5/

LZ

··· On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 05:35:34AM -0700, david.e.evans@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I've just used the foreman installer to install Foreman 1.5 and Puppet > server 3.6.1. I'm still trying to find my feet as to how it all fits > together, but I've been able to add a couple of clients, define > non-production environments and import some puppet classes from puppet > forge, so it seems to be working. > > My quick/dumb question is what does the PUPPET option under the Configure > menu do (just to be clear - this is the main menu that features 'Host > groups', 'Global Parameters', etc)? Presently it is greyed out, which > makes me think that something is broken in my installation, but I am not > sure if that is the case or not? What am I missing by not having that > option available? Assuming that I should have that option available what > is likely to have gone wrong during the installation and what is the best > place to troubleshoot it (there's nothing in the logs that I can see and > nothing obvious when I google it)? > > Thanks in advance for any assistance. > > Regards, > David > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Foreman users" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. > Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Later,

Lukas “lzap” Zapletal
irc: lzap #theforeman

Hi,

Thanks for both responses.

I have been looking at the manual (and other forums and videos). It's all
good, but quite a lot to take in.

Sorry I hadn't realized that its a subheading. :O) Once the idea had
occurred to me that it was a a non-functioning menu option I was getting
paranoid about it.

Regards,
David

··· On Tuesday, 10 June 2014 15:01:01 UTC+1, Dominic Cleal wrote: > > On 10/06/14 08:35, david....@gmail.com wrote: > > Hi, > > > > I've just used the foreman installer to install Foreman 1.5 and Puppet > > server 3.6.1. I'm still trying to find my feet as to how it all fits > > together, but I've been able to add a couple of clients, define > > non-production environments and import some puppet classes from puppet > > forge, so it seems to be working. > > > > My quick/dumb question is what does the PUPPET option under the > > Configure menu do (just to be clear - this is the main menu that > > features 'Host groups', 'Global Parameters', etc)? Presently it is > > greyed out, which makes me think that something is broken in my > > installation, but I am not sure if that is the case or not? What am I > > missing by not having that option available? Assuming that I should > > have that option available what is likely to have gone wrong during the > > installation and what is the best place to troubleshoot it (there's > > nothing in the logs that I can see and nothing obvious when I google > it)? > > "Puppet" is a subheading, it's a category for the items below it in the > menu (environments, classes etc). It's grey because it's a heading, not > because it's disabled. > > -- > Dominic Cleal > Red Hat Engineering >