Foreman/Katello upgrade fails

Problem:
Hi,

I’m was starting to upgrade our Foreman 2.0.1 and Katello 3.15 to Foreman 2.3 and Katello 3.18.
As described in the documentation I’m doing this in 2 steps, first upgrading to Foreman 2.2 and Katello 3.17 and then to the latest version of both products.

However, the first upgrade step results in an error.

I followed all the steps described in Foreman :: Plugin Manuals
But it fails during the execution of the ‘foreman-installer’ command:

bootstrap # foreman-installer
Preparing installation Done
Something went wrong! Check the log for ERROR-level output
The full log is at /var/log/foreman-installer/katello.log

In the log I can see following:

[DEBUG 2021-03-02T09:32:01 main] Hook /usr/share/foreman-installer/katello/hooks/post/99-version_locking.rb returned nil
[ INFO 2021-03-02T09:32:01 main] All hooks in group post finished
[DEBUG 2021-03-02T09:32:01 main] Exit with status code: 6 (signal was 6)
[ERROR 2021-03-02T09:32:01 main] Errors encountered during run:
[ERROR 2021-03-02T09:32:01 main] foreman-maintain packages is-locked --assumeyes failed! Check the output for error!
[ERROR 2021-03-02T09:32:01 main] /Stage[main]/Pulpcore::Static/Pulpcore::Admin[collectstatic --noinput]/Exec[pulpcore-manager collectstatic --noinput]: Failed to call refresh: ‘pulpcore-manager collectstatic --noinput’ returned 1 instead of one of [0]
[ERROR 2021-03-02T09:32:01 main] /Stage[main]/Pulpcore::Static/Pulpcore::Admin[collectstatic --noinput]/Exec[pulpcore-manager collectstatic --noinput]: ‘pulpcore-manager collectstatic --noinput’ returned 1 instead of one of [0]

See also the complete log file (gzip) in attachment.

Thnx for any feedback/help.
Expected outcome:

Foreman and Proxy versions:
Foreman 2.0.1 → 2.2
Katello 3.15 → 3.17

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:

Distribution and version:
CentOS 7
Other relevant data:

katello.log.gz (205.4 KB)

Hi,

Problem is solved.
I did a global firmware upgrade of our system, and after it was back up and running the ‘foreman-installer’ went well till the end.
Now taking a new full backup before I get further with the upgrade to the latest versions.

However, should I perform the pulp 3 migration now with Foreman 2.2.3 / Katello 3.17 or can I do it once I have upgraded to Foreman 2.3.x / Katello 3.18?

Hi @langesmalle,

Glad your original issue was resolved.

You can still run the Pulp 3 migration when you’re on Katello 3.18. Katello 3.18 is the last version to support Pulp 2. I would recommend you wait until Katello 3.18 to run the migration since it is guaranteed to have the most up-to-date migration-related code.

Hi, @iballou ,

Thanks for your feedback.
Meanwhile we already upgraded to Foreman 2.3.3 and Katello 3.18.1.

But the migration from pulp2 to pulp3 failed with the prepare step, see also Pulp 2 to Pulp3 upgrade fails - #22 by techietubby

I also mentioned it in the IRC channel.
It complains about debian repos, however, we only have CentOS repos in our Foreman/Katello config.
I was wondering if it was safe to proceed with the last migration step, but did not got a proper reply.

Therefor, we are still running under pulp2 and meanwhile we added already new rpm-repos.

Thanks in advance for providing me feedback on this latest problem.

FYI: during the prepare-process, while I was following up the postgres-log I could see a wrong select command. The code contained "selet’ instead of ‘select’.

Hey @langesmalle,

The issue with deb that you’re hitting is a bug that we’ll be getting to soon. In the meantime, since you’re not using any deb content, we can do a workaround. Try running the foreman-installer with --katello-use-pulp-2-for-deb=false --katello-enable-deb=false and then redo content prepare. Then, you should be safe to do the switchover. You can turn Debian back on after you’re on Pulp 3 if you wish.

Related thread: Pulp3 Migration failed

That doesn’t sound right, is there any chance I could see the context?