Currently starting to switch some parts of my/our infrastructure to foreman (non pxe discovery with booting isos).
I finally got so far that i got a running setup with USB-Stick running forman discovery-image 3.5.1 with against foreman discovery-plugin v14 and Version 1.20.1.
Currently im in the following state:
- (Discovery) USB Stick highest boot prio
- Disks lower then the discovery
The host is discovered (hell yeah!) by foreman, i setup all the fancy things regarding OS including architecture, partition tables, preseeds and preeseed finish callbacks…
So what happens now:
- Server boots
- Its registered by foreman
- I tell foreman to install the OS
- Server installes the OS, starts partioning the disks… installs grub…
- After its done, it reboots
So far so good, now i have an understanding issue/dont know how it (should) go further…
Whats currently happening:
- Server reboots into discovery again
- Registers into foreman (new discovery host pops up) and waits for further kexec
- Server is useless, because its in discovery…
When i switch boot priority to Disk first instead of Discovery USB (i dont think its needed?!)
- Server boots into ubuntu 18.04
- Server registers to foreman
- Puppet goes on to install everything
- Everything is fine
But for sure, when i now trigger rebuild through foreman nothing happens without manual interaction (delete host, switch boot priority, remap host to settings…)
So now to my question:
Shouldnt the host be “rediscovered” by the discovery image and then detect: “no rebuild needed, lets boot the os”, without touching any other bios settings (leaving USB stick primary boot device).
What do i have to do (which settings?) to archive ‘rediscovery’?
Played arround with settings like:
- Type of name generator
- Use short name for VMs
- Token duration
- Force DNS
- Error on existing NIC
Is there a missing template which handle this?
Do i have to modify the discovery image for this purpose?
Sounds for me like a “normal” non pxe flow to reinstall the machines without interacting so im a bit stuck if i have to manage this my own…