Foreman on Freenode IRC

Good point, once Libera-Matrix is ready and we move, probably some of us (not all) could stay there and reply to users who come there to ask that this is not the official channel. We should not change the topic however, yeah.

I volunteer for this!

1 Like

I am connected to libera and think we should move there rather sooner than later.

(Personally no need in a Matrix bridge, but that is different for other users I guess)

1 Like

I’ve a deep dive later and the demo tomorrow. I’ll mention that this exists.
I’m happy to start shepherding folks over in general.

Looks like the matrix - libera bridge might be ready as soon as tomorrow:

2 Likes

Wow!

I just typed a reminder this morning in both channels:

Good morning, friendly reminder: we will be moving our channels to LlBER4 IRC network. Channels are up, feel free to continue conversation there, as long as the M4TRlX bridge is up we will make this official.

I saw Mel doing this the other day and I like it, let’s avoid that word for a moment on our channels so we maximise the time we have the control.

Also I’ve noticed that amount of people on the support channel before this was about 230 and now we are looking at 130 (+ 30 on libera). Looks like we had some idlers who decided either go to Matrix or no longer join our channel. Not good.

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry about that at this time, I suspect it will be idlers who just are not at their keyboard / monitoring the channel and have not seen the drama, I suspect if you did a kick / clear on the freenode channel you’d get a similar number / slightly higher number than is now on Libera, the higher number would be by people who have auto join / reconnect in their client

1 Like

At this point the Matrix bridge is in testing. In practice most people who are active have moved over. I think it’s time to make this official.

2 Likes

I agree, let’s get people moving! :slight_smile:

At the moment I have it integrated with a matrix room.
I wanted to integrate with our legacy room but received the following error message:

Failed to make link: This room has 105 users, but the maximum for a bridged room is 100.

I’d say we’re in early days. Will try again later.

Making a note to ourselves, we’ll need to go in and either switch our Jenkins jobs to publish to the new channels or to both channels for some period of time.

2 Likes

Jenkins can only be configured to connect to a single IRC server. I’ve now switched this over.

1 Like

The bridge is in place, but very unreliable.
Will talk with the matrix folks and try and improve this.

Saw your tweet, have you managed to get us to 200+ tier?

I am meeting with Element/Matrix folks!
This is not a bug, it’s by design, but disconnecting from Freenode made us go under 100.
However, disconnecting and reconnecting to another bridge caused an error.
Pulp had no Matrix room, so it was a clean setup, so easier.
Will report back ASAP

After meeting with the Element guy, I have written to support@matrix.org to help with this.
The bridges are WIP so a bit dodgy :slight_smile:

One issue that Greg thinks might be the root cause is this Freenode IRC bot is still in our Matrix room: @appservice-irc:matrix.org
I’m not sure how to get rid of it.

Freenode has now started migrating new connections to a new network where we no longer have any control of the channels. If anyone is reading this and is still connected to freenode, please disconnect and come over to irc.libera.chat where the Foreman community is.

2 Likes

This is now official: Foreman is on Libera.Chat IRC