Foreman Pulp 2 to Pulp 3 Migration - Disk space

Problem:

I was running Foreman version 2.1 with Katello version 3.16 and I have upgraded to Foreman version 3.01 with Katello version 4.2. I did the upgrades sequentially, however when I came to upgrade the katello version 3.18 I did the migration from pulp 2 to pulp 3. Everything went fine. However the disk space on partition /var/lib/pulp increased drastically. I was using around 140GB in space and after the migration it increased to 228GB.

I deleted the orphan content by using this command “foreman-rake katello:delete_orphaned_content RAILS_ENV=production”. It did free up some space, however is this normal that after the migration without increasing or syncing up new content use this much of space?

Regards,
A

Hi, As per the doc, Have you run :

foreman-maintain content remove-pulp2

To delete the old pulp2 content ?
Remember to take a snapshot before running the command, just to stay safe

2 Likes

Hi Loitho,

I tried foreman-maintain content remove-pulp2 and it gave me this error below. However still it freed up space.

Failed executing rm -rf /var/lib/mongodb/, exit status 1:
rm: cannot remove ‘/var/lib/mongodb/’: Device or resource busy

I think its still fine though.

I asked @Justin_Sherrill the other day and he confirmed that the directory may double in size for some time. I did not get all the details tho, awaiting his analysis of this:

In other words: you are not alone.

If you have mounted the dir manually you may need to unmount it too.

1 Like

Thanks, actually the /var/lib/mongodb directory is 1% in size (actually there is nothing in it), after executing the command “foreman-maintain content remove-pulp2” as suggested by @loitho, still freed up space in /var/lib/pulp directory which now is only 40% in use (from 87%). That was my concern, however I thank you again for your time. :slight_smile:

1 Like