Foreman-rake hooks:objects issues with ruby 2.6.3

Katello 3.13 RC2
Foreman 1.23
CentOS 7.7.1908
Ruby 2.6.3

For reasons I will not get into I had to upgrade to Ruby 2.6.3. To do this I installed RVM and let it upgrade the base ruby to 2.6.3. After that I installed the foreman-hooks plugin using yum install. That seemed to work fine.

Foreman-hooks aside everything in foreman/katello seems to be working fine. I just run into issues when running foreman-hooks commands. Like this one:

[root@fm home]# foreman-rake hooks:objects
rake aborted!
Gem loading error: Unable to activate scoped_search-4.1.7, because activerecord-4.1.0 conflicts with activerecord (>= 4.2.0)
/opt/theforeman/tfm/root/usr/share/gems/gems/bundler_ext-0.4.1/lib/bundler_ext/output.rb:13:in `strict_err'
/opt/theforeman/tfm/root/usr/share/gems/gems/bundler_ext-0.4.1/lib/bundler_ext/runtime.rb:46:in `rescue in block in system_require'
/opt/theforeman/tfm/root/usr/share/gems/gems/bundler_ext-0.4.1/lib/bundler_ext/runtime.rb:39:in `block in system_require'
/opt/theforeman/tfm/root/usr/share/gems/gems/bundler_ext-0.4.1/lib/bundler_ext/runtime.rb:37:in `each'
/opt/theforeman/tfm/root/usr/share/gems/gems/bundler_ext-0.4.1/lib/bundler_ext/runtime.rb:37:in `system_require'
/opt/theforeman/tfm/root/usr/share/gems/gems/bundler_ext-0.4.1/lib/bundler_ext.rb:19:in `block in system_require'
/opt/theforeman/tfm/root/usr/share/gems/gems/bundler_ext-0.4.1/lib/bundler_ext.rb:14:in `each'
/opt/theforeman/tfm/root/usr/share/gems/gems/bundler_ext-0.4.1/lib/bundler_ext.rb:14:in `system_require'
/usr/share/foreman/config/application.rb:17:in `<top (required)>'
/usr/share/foreman/Rakefile:1:in `<top (required)>'
/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/rake-12.3.3/exe/rake:27:in `<top (required)>'

Caused by:
Gem::ConflictError: Unable to activate scoped_search-4.1.7, because activerecord-4.1.0 conflicts with activerecord (>= 4.2.0)
/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/activesupport-4.1.0/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:247:in `block in require'
/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/activesupport-4.1.0/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:232:in `load_dependency'
/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/activesupport-4.1.0/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:247:in `require'
/opt/theforeman/tfm/root/usr/share/gems/gems/bundler_ext-0.4.1/lib/bundler_ext/runtime.rb:41:in `block in system_require'
/opt/theforeman/tfm/root/usr/share/gems/gems/bundler_ext-0.4.1/lib/bundler_ext/runtime.rb:37:in `each'
/opt/theforeman/tfm/root/usr/share/gems/gems/bundler_ext-0.4.1/lib/bundler_ext/runtime.rb:37:in `system_require'
/opt/theforeman/tfm/root/usr/share/gems/gems/bundler_ext-0.4.1/lib/bundler_ext.rb:19:in `block in system_require'
/opt/theforeman/tfm/root/usr/share/gems/gems/bundler_ext-0.4.1/lib/bundler_ext.rb:14:in `each'
/opt/theforeman/tfm/root/usr/share/gems/gems/bundler_ext-0.4.1/lib/bundler_ext.rb:14:in `system_require'
/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/rake-12.3.3/exe/rake:27:in `<top (required)>'

Caused by:
Gem::ConflictError: Unable to activate scoped_search-4.1.7, because activerecord-4.1.0 conflicts with activerecord (>= 4.2.0)
/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/activesupport-4.1.0/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:247:in `block in require'
/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/activesupport-4.1.0/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:232:in `load_dependency'
/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/activesupport-4.1.0/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:247:in `require'
/opt/theforeman/tfm/root/usr/share/gems/gems/bundler_ext-0.4.1/lib/bundler_ext/runtime.rb:41:in `block in system_require'

Caused by:
LoadError: cannot load such file -- scoped_search
(See full trace by running task with --trace)

I have tried searching for the errors but cannot find anything like it.
The above error where its saying “activerecord-4.1.0 conflicts with activerecord (>= 4.2.0)” is not the first error. Previous to that error I was getting errors about activerecord not being the correct version so I tried to do a gem install activerecord = 4.1.0. And that got me the conflicts. Turned out that going to ruby 2.6.3 netted me activerecord 6.0.0.

So my first question is did I do wrong by upgrading to ruby 2.6.3? Is there any way I can fix all of this?

Thanks.

This is not supported at all. You’re on your own with this because it’s guaranteed you’re going to run into this and will keep running into issues like these. Foreman on CentOS is using the rh-ruby25 SCL collection and ships all gems there.

1 Like