able to gently hack the
/usr/share/foreman/app/models/operatingsystems/solaris.rb file with the
changes as attached.

Installation media pointing to Solaris 11 AI:
http://x.x.x.x:5555/export/auto_install/solaris$major_$minor-i386/

Boot filename:
/var/lib/tftpboot/pxegrub2

Boot menu:
/var/lib/tftpboot/boot/grub/grub.cfg (file attached)

Foreman proxy:
DHCP, TFTP services

After creation of new host, Foreman was able to download the kernel and
boot_archive from the AI server. At time of install, these steps were also
successful:

• get static IP from DHCP
  • display the grub.cfg boot menu
  • transfer kernel and boot_archive to new host

Upon completion of transferring kernel and boot_archive, according to
/var/log/messages, the new host once again request for the IP.

dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 'static-ip' to 00:00:00:a0:63:75 via ens160
dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 'static-ip' ('foreman proxy ip') from
00:00:00:a0:63:75 via ens160

(Scenario 1)
Even though the Foreman DHCP proxy server has all the relevant information
(ie, static IP, MAC) in /var/lib/dhcpd/dhcpd.leases, this info does not get
passed onto the new host the second time. Without obtaining an IP, the
install failed.

(Scenario 2)
In another scenario, we have an external DHCP server (not Foreman proxy
server), the new host gets its static IP the second time and the install
succeeds.

It's understandable that it would be difficult to reproduce these scenarios
as many pieces are involved, but any help is greatly appreciated as I have
run out of ideas.

Thank you.
Trisha

solaris.rb.docx (10.2 KB)

··· From my understanding, there is no support for Solaris 11 install on

The installation fails and ends with this error message.

auditd[130]: getaddrinfo() failed[node name or service name not known].
auditd[130]: adt_get_local_address failed, no Audit IP address available,
faking loopback for and error Network is down.

··· On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 2:49:00 AM UTC-7, Trisha Hoang wrote: > > Hello Foreman users, > > From my understanding, there is no support for Solaris 11 install on > Foreman. Not sure if the reason is that Solaris 11 has its own automated > installer or if there are technical challenges. At any rate, we have many > users and would like to provide a single platform for OS install and were > able to gently hack the > /usr/share/foreman/app/models/operatingsystems/solaris.rb file with the > changes as attached. > > Installation media pointing to Solaris 11 AI: > http://x.x.x.x:5555/export/auto_install/solaris$major_$minor-i386/ > > Boot filename: > /var/lib/tftpboot/pxegrub2 > > Boot menu: > /var/lib/tftpboot/boot/grub/grub.cfg (file attached) > > Foreman proxy: > DHCP, TFTP services > > After creation of new host, Foreman was able to download the kernel and > boot_archive from the AI server. At time of install, these steps were also > successful: > - get static IP from DHCP > - display the grub.cfg boot menu > - transfer kernel and boot_archive to new host > > Upon completion of transferring kernel and boot_archive, according to > /var/log/messages, the new host once again request for the IP. > > dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 'static-ip' to 00:00:00:a0:63:75 via ens160 > dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 'static-ip' ('foreman proxy ip') from > 00:00:00:a0:63:75 via ens160 > > (Scenario 1) > Even though the Foreman DHCP proxy server has all the relevant information > (ie, static IP, MAC) in /var/lib/dhcpd/dhcpd.leases, this info does not get > passed onto the new host the second time. Without obtaining an IP, the > install failed. > > (Scenario 2) > In another scenario, we have an external DHCP server (not Foreman proxy > server), the new host gets its static IP the second time and the install > succeeds. > > It's understandable that it would be difficult to reproduce these > scenarios as many pieces are involved, but any help is greatly appreciated > as I have run out of ideas. > > Thank you. > Trisha >

Lukas is doing a great job of helping you out, so I'll just answer this
point… Much of our OS support comes from the community, so it's up to
people like yourselves to contribute it. The core development team only
has so much time, after all. The reason we have no support for Solaris
11 is as simple as no-one has written it yet :slight_smile:

If you'd like to contribute your patches as a pull request once you're
happy with them, please do!

Thanks
Greg

··· On Mon, 2017-10-23 at 16:14 -0700, Trisha Hoang wrote: > Hello Foreman users, > > From my understanding, there is no support for Solaris 11 install on > Foreman. Not sure if the reason is that Solaris 11 has its own > automated installer or if there are technical challenges.

Hey Trisha,

the error smells like a name resolution error, have you checked DNS?
Does the DHCP server provide correct DNS info, so the system can
resolve installation media or other services involved in provisioning?

Now, the DHCP is really expected to just work. Are you using the ISC
DHCP deployed by our installer, or some different configuration? I
assume that by "static IP from DHCP" you mean "IP address
reservation".

Since the initial DHCP request was done by preboot environment and
second is done by Solaris, I bet there is a bug in network driver. Are
you using correct driver? Can you swap it out for some different card?

I am not sure I get your scenario 2. That looks like some DHCP client
miscommunication.

··· On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 7:10 PM, Trisha Hoang wrote: > The installation fails and ends with this error message. > > auditd[130]: getaddrinfo() failed[node name or service name not known]. > auditd[130]: adt_get_local_address failed, no Audit IP address available, > faking loopback for and error Network is down. > > > On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 2:49:00 AM UTC-7, Trisha Hoang wrote: >> >> Hello Foreman users, >> >> From my understanding, there is no support for Solaris 11 install on >> Foreman. Not sure if the reason is that Solaris 11 has its own automated >> installer or if there are technical challenges. At any rate, we have many >> users and would like to provide a single platform for OS install and were >> able to gently hack the >> /usr/share/foreman/app/models/operatingsystems/solaris.rb file with the >> changes as attached. >> >> Installation media pointing to Solaris 11 AI: >> http://x.x.x.x:5555/export/auto_install/solaris$major_$minor-i386/ >> >> Boot filename: >> /var/lib/tftpboot/pxegrub2 >> >> Boot menu: >> /var/lib/tftpboot/boot/grub/grub.cfg (file attached) >> >> Foreman proxy: >> DHCP, TFTP services >> >> After creation of new host, Foreman was able to download the kernel and >> boot_archive from the AI server. At time of install, these steps were also >> successful: >> - get static IP from DHCP >> - display the grub.cfg boot menu >> - transfer kernel and boot_archive to new host >> >> Upon completion of transferring kernel and boot_archive, according to >> /var/log/messages, the new host once again request for the IP. >> >> dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 'static-ip' to 00:00:00:a0:63:75 via ens160 >> dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 'static-ip' ('foreman proxy ip') from >> 00:00:00:a0:63:75 via ens160 >> >> (Scenario 1) >> Even though the Foreman DHCP proxy server has all the relevant information >> (ie, static IP, MAC) in /var/lib/dhcpd/dhcpd.leases, this info does not get >> passed onto the new host the second time. Without obtaining an IP, the >> install failed. >> >> (Scenario 2) >> In another scenario, we have an external DHCP server (not Foreman proxy >> server), the new host gets its static IP the second time and the install >> succeeds. >> >> It's understandable that it would be difficult to reproduce these >> scenarios as many pieces are involved, but any help is greatly appreciated >> as I have run out of ideas. >> >> Thank you. >> Trisha > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "Foreman users" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Later,
Lukas @lzap Zapletal

Lukas, you have been proven correct on both counts. The client wanted an IP
and the driver did not understand the request. After changing the driver,
the install continued and I almost kissed the monitor.

If it helps other people from pulling out their hair, I can do more testing
before documenting it and sending it to you.

Thank you for a great tool.
Trisha

··· On Friday, October 27, 2017 at 3:44:27 AM UTC-7, Greg Sutcliffe wrote: > > On Mon, 2017-10-23 at 16:14 -0700, Trisha Hoang wrote: > > Hello Foreman users, > > > > From my understanding, there is no support for Solaris 11 install on > > Foreman. Not sure if the reason is that Solaris 11 has its own > > automated installer or if there are technical challenges. > > Lukas is doing a great job of helping you out, so I'll just answer this > point... Much of our OS support comes from the community, so it's up to > people like yourselves to contribute it. The core development team only > has so much time, after all. The reason we have no support for Solaris > 11 is as simple as no-one has written it yet :) > > If you'd like to contribute your patches as a pull request once you're > happy with them, please do! > > Thanks > Greg >

You are most likely right Lukas.

I've overlooked at the 'option domain-name-servers' in dhcpd.conf
configuration file. It's pointing to itself and not the DNS server. Now I
just need to prove you're right but after mucking around with dhcpd.leases,
OMAPI is no longer cooperating 'Can't start OMAPI protocol: address not
available'. I've tried deleting all relevant hosts and emptying out the
dhcpd.leases file, rebooting both Foreman master and proxy. Nothing seems
to work. Is the information being stored somewhere else?

··· On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 5:41:02 AM UTC-7, Lukas Zapletal wrote: > > Hey Trisha, > > the error smells like a name resolution error, have you checked DNS? > Does the DHCP server provide correct DNS info, so the system can > resolve installation media or other services involved in provisioning? > > Now, the DHCP is really expected to just work. Are you using the ISC > DHCP deployed by our installer, or some different configuration? I > assume that by "static IP from DHCP" you mean "IP address > reservation". > > Since the initial DHCP request was done by preboot environment and > second is done by Solaris, I bet there is a bug in network driver. Are > you using correct driver? Can you swap it out for some different card? > > I am not sure I get your scenario 2. That looks like some DHCP client > miscommunication. > > On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 7:10 PM, Trisha Hoang > wrote: > > The installation fails and ends with this error message. > > > > auditd[130]: getaddrinfo() failed[node name or service name not known]. > > auditd[130]: adt_get_local_address failed, no Audit IP address > available, > > faking loopback for and error Network is down. > > > > > > On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 2:49:00 AM UTC-7, Trisha Hoang wrote: > >> > >> Hello Foreman users, > >> > >> From my understanding, there is no support for Solaris 11 install on > >> Foreman. Not sure if the reason is that Solaris 11 has its own > automated > >> installer or if there are technical challenges. At any rate, we have > many > >> users and would like to provide a single platform for OS install and > were > >> able to gently hack the > >> /usr/share/foreman/app/models/operatingsystems/solaris.rb file with the > >> changes as attached. > >> > >> Installation media pointing to Solaris 11 AI: > >> http://x.x.x.x:5555/export/auto_install/solaris$major_$minor-i386/ > >> > >> Boot filename: > >> /var/lib/tftpboot/pxegrub2 > >> > >> Boot menu: > >> /var/lib/tftpboot/boot/grub/grub.cfg (file attached) > >> > >> Foreman proxy: > >> DHCP, TFTP services > >> > >> After creation of new host, Foreman was able to download the kernel and > >> boot_archive from the AI server. At time of install, these steps were > also > >> successful: > >> - get static IP from DHCP > >> - display the grub.cfg boot menu > >> - transfer kernel and boot_archive to new host > >> > >> Upon completion of transferring kernel and boot_archive, according to > >> /var/log/messages, the new host once again request for the IP. > >> > >> dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 'static-ip' to 00:00:00:a0:63:75 via ens160 > >> dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 'static-ip' ('foreman proxy ip') from > >> 00:00:00:a0:63:75 via ens160 > >> > >> (Scenario 1) > >> Even though the Foreman DHCP proxy server has all the relevant > information > >> (ie, static IP, MAC) in /var/lib/dhcpd/dhcpd.leases, this info does not > get > >> passed onto the new host the second time. Without obtaining an IP, the > >> install failed. > >> > >> (Scenario 2) > >> In another scenario, we have an external DHCP server (not Foreman proxy > >> server), the new host gets its static IP the second time and the > install > >> succeeds. > >> > >> It's understandable that it would be difficult to reproduce these > >> scenarios as many pieces are involved, but any help is greatly > appreciated > >> as I have run out of ideas. > >> > >> Thank you. > >> Trisha > > > > -- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > Groups > > "Foreman users" group. > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send > an > > email to foreman-user...@googlegroups.com . > > To post to this group, send email to forema...@googlegroups.com > . > > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users. > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. > > > > -- > Later, > Lukas @lzap Zapletal >

Looks like you messed up DHCP configuration. If you deployed it via
our installer, you can re-run it to fix it for you:

foreman-installer -v -n

With -n you get "dry run" to see what would puppet do, then you can
run it for real.

Reservations are not stored anywhere else then in leases file, nope.
Well in Foreman itself of course.

Running SELinux? I'd check that. It is likely some configuration mistake there.

Once you get provisioning working, make sure to update our templates
in community-repo!

LZ

··· On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 11:33 PM, Trisha Hoang wrote: > You are most likely right Lukas. > > I've overlooked at the 'option domain-name-servers' in dhcpd.conf > configuration file. It's pointing to itself and not the DNS server. Now I > just need to prove you're right but after mucking around with dhcpd.leases, > OMAPI is no longer cooperating 'Can't start OMAPI protocol: address not > available'. I've tried deleting all relevant hosts and emptying out the > dhcpd.leases file, rebooting both Foreman master and proxy. Nothing seems to > work. Is the information being stored somewhere else? > > On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 5:41:02 AM UTC-7, Lukas Zapletal wrote: >> >> Hey Trisha, >> >> the error smells like a name resolution error, have you checked DNS? >> Does the DHCP server provide correct DNS info, so the system can >> resolve installation media or other services involved in provisioning? >> >> Now, the DHCP is really expected to just work. Are you using the ISC >> DHCP deployed by our installer, or some different configuration? I >> assume that by "static IP from DHCP" you mean "IP address >> reservation". >> >> Since the initial DHCP request was done by preboot environment and >> second is done by Solaris, I bet there is a bug in network driver. Are >> you using correct driver? Can you swap it out for some different card? >> >> I am not sure I get your scenario 2. That looks like some DHCP client >> miscommunication. >> >> On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 7:10 PM, Trisha Hoang wrote: >> > The installation fails and ends with this error message. >> > >> > auditd[130]: getaddrinfo() failed[node name or service name not known]. >> > auditd[130]: adt_get_local_address failed, no Audit IP address >> > available, >> > faking loopback for and error Network is down. >> > >> > >> > On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 2:49:00 AM UTC-7, Trisha Hoang wrote: >> >> >> >> Hello Foreman users, >> >> >> >> From my understanding, there is no support for Solaris 11 install on >> >> Foreman. Not sure if the reason is that Solaris 11 has its own >> >> automated >> >> installer or if there are technical challenges. At any rate, we have >> >> many >> >> users and would like to provide a single platform for OS install and >> >> were >> >> able to gently hack the >> >> /usr/share/foreman/app/models/operatingsystems/solaris.rb file with the >> >> changes as attached. >> >> >> >> Installation media pointing to Solaris 11 AI: >> >> http://x.x.x.x:5555/export/auto_install/solaris$major_$minor-i386/ >> >> >> >> Boot filename: >> >> /var/lib/tftpboot/pxegrub2 >> >> >> >> Boot menu: >> >> /var/lib/tftpboot/boot/grub/grub.cfg (file attached) >> >> >> >> Foreman proxy: >> >> DHCP, TFTP services >> >> >> >> After creation of new host, Foreman was able to download the kernel and >> >> boot_archive from the AI server. At time of install, these steps were >> >> also >> >> successful: >> >> - get static IP from DHCP >> >> - display the grub.cfg boot menu >> >> - transfer kernel and boot_archive to new host >> >> >> >> Upon completion of transferring kernel and boot_archive, according to >> >> /var/log/messages, the new host once again request for the IP. >> >> >> >> dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 'static-ip' to 00:00:00:a0:63:75 via ens160 >> >> dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 'static-ip' ('foreman proxy ip') from >> >> 00:00:00:a0:63:75 via ens160 >> >> >> >> (Scenario 1) >> >> Even though the Foreman DHCP proxy server has all the relevant >> >> information >> >> (ie, static IP, MAC) in /var/lib/dhcpd/dhcpd.leases, this info does not >> >> get >> >> passed onto the new host the second time. Without obtaining an IP, the >> >> install failed. >> >> >> >> (Scenario 2) >> >> In another scenario, we have an external DHCP server (not Foreman proxy >> >> server), the new host gets its static IP the second time and the >> >> install >> >> succeeds. >> >> >> >> It's understandable that it would be difficult to reproduce these >> >> scenarios as many pieces are involved, but any help is greatly >> >> appreciated >> >> as I have run out of ideas. >> >> >> >> Thank you. >> >> Trisha >> > >> > -- >> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google >> > Groups >> > "Foreman users" group. >> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send >> > an >> > email to foreman-user...@googlegroups.com. >> > To post to this group, send email to forema...@googlegroups.com. >> > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users. >> > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >> >> >> >> -- >> Later, >> Lukas @lzap Zapletal > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "Foreman users" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Later,
Lukas @lzap Zapletal

Glad you sorted it out.

We do appreciate tutorials, blog posts, puppet PRs for the installer
or simply just community-templates you are using for provisioning.
Currently we only have this in the codebase:

Feel free to provide updated versions or whatever is needed (I have no
clue how Solaris provisioning workflow looks like to be honest).

LZ

··· On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 2:11 AM, Trisha Hoang wrote: > Lukas, you have been proven correct on both counts. The client wanted an IP > and the driver did not understand the request. After changing the driver, > the install continued and I almost kissed the monitor. > > If it helps other people from pulling out their hair, I can do more testing > before documenting it and sending it to you. > > Thank you for a great tool. > Trisha > > On Friday, October 27, 2017 at 3:44:27 AM UTC-7, Greg Sutcliffe wrote: >> >> On Mon, 2017-10-23 at 16:14 -0700, Trisha Hoang wrote: >> > Hello Foreman users, >> > >> > From my understanding, there is no support for Solaris 11 install on >> > Foreman. Not sure if the reason is that Solaris 11 has its own >> > automated installer or if there are technical challenges. >> >> Lukas is doing a great job of helping you out, so I'll just answer this >> point... Much of our OS support comes from the community, so it's up to >> people like yourselves to contribute it. The core development team only >> has so much time, after all. The reason we have no support for Solaris >> 11 is as simple as no-one has written it yet :) >> >> If you'd like to contribute your patches as a pull request once you're >> happy with them, please do! >> >> Thanks >> Greg > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "Foreman users" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Later,
Lukas @lzap Zapletal