Foreman_userdata templates to showing up

Problem:
CloudInit default and UserData open-vm-tools templates
from https://github.com/theforeman/foreman_userdata
don’t show in list of templates under hosts > provisioning templates

Expected outcome:
install the plugin via yum and those two templates are available to be associates with an OS

Foreman and Proxy versions:
Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:

Other relevant data:
administer > about > plugins shows the plugin is installed

https://theforeman.org/plugins/#2.Installation

right but if:
administer > about > plugins shows the plugin listed, that means the plugin is installed, correct?

some plugins the install is a simple yum install …, right?

Were there any errors or warnings during yum install?

I suggest to do foreman-rake db:migrate db:seed to reseed the database with templates.

Thanks Izap for the input.

I’m starting to think this is related to the fact that I’m running on CentOS 7 which means the system ruby is 2.0 but TFM runs in SCL with ruby 2.4.

I’ve tried enabling the SCL shell and then installing the RPM but that didn’t work. I’m guessing due to how the RPM is packaged.

Maybe I need to install the gem manually?

Part of my issue I’m sure is a fundamental lack of understanding of what this plugin does. Like many I am coming from using Foreman as just a front-end to Puppet. Now I’m trying to learn/use all of the provisioning features and I’m not clear on templates and such yet.

Other than just providing templates can you tell me a little more about how this plugin is supposed to work? If it’s just templates why not just manually create templates and copy/paste from the templates in the repository? My sense tells me that’s not possible, there’s more to it than just the templates. Right?

db_seed.log says:

Rails 5 requires Ruby 2.2.2 or newer.

You're running
  ruby 2.0.0p648 (2015-12-16) [x86_64-linux]

Please upgrade to Ruby 2.2.2 or newer to continue.

Hey,

I have just released foreman_userdata 0.1.0. This version will seed the templates. With version 0.0.1 you have to create the templates manually, e.g. with this gist.

The packaging PR is stil pending. Once it is merged, the new rpm should be available the following day.

2 Likes

Great, Thanks !