Hardware donations for CI

Foreman users + developers,

Over the past year or so we've been running the project build + test infrastructure on a combination of hardware that I run and machines that Brian Gupta graciously donates. As we've grown, our needs have become more and more demanding in order to thoroughly test pull requests, build packages, and test the develop & stable branches. We're getting to the point where it's difficult for a single person or small group of people to donate the hardware needed so this email is a request for some help.

If you've got resources that you or your company can donate to the project to run build slaves, it'd be much appreciated. The requirements are pretty simple:

1. At least 1GB of RAM and 2 (V)CPU's
  2. Running RHEL, CentOS, Fedora, Debian, or Ubuntu
  3. Vanilla VM or machine that doesn't have any non-Foreman data on (fresh installs are ideal)
  4. Remote root access is allowed

We have a Foreman instance/puppet master to the box will be registered to in order for it to be setup for running as a slave and then Jenkins will SSH into it to run tests.

In return, we'll be happy to setup a page on the website of project supporters with you or your company's name. If you're interested in donating, please reply directly to me (don't reply on the list unless you've got questions).

Thanks again for using Foreman!

-Sam

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but is the Foreman team still looking for
resources?

Since this email was originally sent out, Docker has made this type of
resource sharing very easy. I'd be happy to lend a hand with images and
spare hardware.

··· On Monday, August 5, 2013 at 12:07:50 PM UTC-7, Sam Kottler wrote: > > Foreman users + developers, > > Over the past year or so we've been running the project build + test > infrastructure on a combination of hardware that I run and machines that > Brian Gupta graciously donates. As we've grown, our needs have become more > and more demanding in order to thoroughly test pull requests, build > packages, and test the develop & stable branches. We're getting to the > point where it's difficult for a single person or small group of people to > donate the hardware needed so this email is a request for some help. > > If you've got resources that you or your company can donate to the project > to run build slaves, it'd be much appreciated. The requirements are pretty > simple: > > 1. At least 1GB of RAM and 2 (V)CPU's > 2. Running RHEL, CentOS, Fedora, Debian, or Ubuntu > 3. Vanilla VM or machine that doesn't have any non-Foreman data on (fresh > installs are ideal) > 4. Remote root access is allowed > > We have a Foreman instance/puppet master to the box will be registered to > in order for it to be setup for running as a slave and then Jenkins will > SSH into it to run tests. > > In return, we'll be happy to setup a page on the website of project > supporters with you or your company's name. If you're interested in > donating, please reply directly to me (don't reply on the list unless > you've got questions). > > Thanks again for using Foreman! > > -Sam >

Sorry to bump an old thread, but is Foreman still looking for resource
donations for CI?

··· On Monday, August 5, 2013 at 12:07:50 PM UTC-7, Sam Kottler wrote: > > Foreman users + developers, > > Over the past year or so we've been running the project build + test > infrastructure on a combination of hardware that I run and machines that > Brian Gupta graciously donates. As we've grown, our needs have become more > and more demanding in order to thoroughly test pull requests, build > packages, and test the develop & stable branches. We're getting to the > point where it's difficult for a single person or small group of people to > donate the hardware needed so this email is a request for some help. > > If you've got resources that you or your company can donate to the project > to run build slaves, it'd be much appreciated. The requirements are pretty > simple: > > 1. At least 1GB of RAM and 2 (V)CPU's > 2. Running RHEL, CentOS, Fedora, Debian, or Ubuntu > 3. Vanilla VM or machine that doesn't have any non-Foreman data on (fresh > installs are ideal) > 4. Remote root access is allowed > > We have a Foreman instance/puppet master to the box will be registered to > in order for it to be setup for running as a slave and then Jenkins will > SSH into it to run tests. > > In return, we'll be happy to setup a page on the website of project > supporters with you or your company's name. If you're interested in > donating, please reply directly to me (don't reply on the list unless > you've got questions). > > Thanks again for using Foreman! > > -Sam >

Hi Stephen,

> Sorry to bump an old thread, but is Foreman still looking for resource
> donations for CI?

Yes, I think we're always on the lookout for more resources as it lets
us increase test coverage in line with available capacity. The
requirements have changed a little from the quoted email, and are on our
wiki here:

http://projects.theforeman.org/projects/foreman/wiki/Jenkins#Slaves
(Don't worry about the "configuring" bit, that's for us.)

If you'd like to donate, then it's probably best to contact me by email
or on IRC.

Thanks,

··· On 21/10/15 01:22, Stephen Wood wrote:

Dominic Cleal
dominic@cleal.org