How to display IPMI consoles in the Foreman?

I would like to see this also but it seems the manufacturers have little interest in making their BMC products compatible or open.

I wish the IPMI spec were extended to include iKVM.

All the older iKVM packages I have run across use a java applet which seems to be subtly different between the manufacturers.

Someone wrote a proxy to talk to some Supermicro using a modified VNC but it seems to be motherboard specific and would not work with the Supermicro motherboards that I have access to both old and new.

I have thought that a wrapper for the java applet could be written but that means that the wrapper and applet would need to be running on the viewing system.

···

On 12/24/2017 08:10 AM, Ido Kaplan wrote:

On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 11:46:44 PM UTC+3, No1 wrote:

Hi,

Is there any way to display the console of IPMI (aka iDrac in Dell
    or iLo in HP) in the foreman? I believe this would a good idea to
    have on the hosts section which are deployed as a metal metal
    servers.

If it's not possible then is there any other alternative for this?

Please let me know.

Hi,

Is there any update?
Thanks!
Ido

Thanks,
    No1.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Foreman users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com <mailto:foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com>.
To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com <mailto:foreman-users@googlegroups.com>.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
Alvin Starr || land: (905)513-7688
Netvel Inc. || Cell: (416)806-0133
alvin@netvel.net ||

1 Like

Hi,

I would like to connect via console on Dell servers.
Konstantin wrote that it possible to do it.
I would like to know if anybody working on this very nice feature :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Ido

is there any update?

Funny. I just had a conversation about this with some OpenStack guys at DevConf without knowing about this topic. We talked about using ironic to do this. Right now Ironic doesn’t support it yet and we don’t support Ironic, but it sounded very interesting.

There is a blog post about it from just over a year ago, but those patches aren’t merged.

It would be great if we could reduce duplication of efforts here.

Yes, it’s possible, but don’t have time to make it possible (( At first I need access to foreman and bare metal with correct set of tools (racadm and dsu). If someone can make it I glad to help with implementation.

Cheers

Hi,

Do you need to connect remotely few times (once or two) or multiple times?

Ido

There is also the project Redfish which aims to make a common API for BMCs, not sure if it includes console as well, but this could be interesting direction.

A solution can be build for some Dell systems but not all Dell systems
and this solution will almost defiantly not work for HP or IBM or
Supremicro or (pick your manufacturer).

Redfish is the library under Ironic. Given it’s a python library we’d need to wrap it somehow. Since Ironic provides a REST API that might be the easiest but I don’t know how easy it is to deploy without deploying other OpenStack components.

It looks like Redfish will be available sometime down the road but I
don’t think you can run out and buy a redfish enabled server from
someone like HP or Dell today.

This is just the impression I get from a few searches.

I think this should be checked multiple times:

1. introduce some changes in discovery/facts gathering regarding vnc caps presence
  2. check against different idrac versions

At least for DELL those 2 are enough. For other vendors those procedures are more tricky.

PS I will be at FOSDEM and cfgmgmt camp this year, so we could discuss this if you’ll be around.

There’s a REDFISH support for Supermicro, but it’s totally unrelated with console because they’re not a part of REDFISH protocol.