Improving discovery workflow

One more thing, customers tend to deploy their own intermediate CAs, I am not sure if HTTPS/TLS hands over only the server cert or whole chain up to (not including) the root CA.

The flow Iā€™d propose is:

sequenceDiagram
    Node->>Proxy: Get & verify certificate
    Node->>Proxy: Report facts
    Proxy->>Foreman: Create host
    Foreman->>Proxy: Start REX
    Proxy->>Foreman: Get SSH host keys
    Proxy->>Node: SSH login
    Node->>Proxy: Get SSH authorized keys
    Proxy->>Foreman: Get SSH authorized keys
    Proxy->>Node: Remote comand (repeat)

Using Online FlowChart & Diagrams Editor - Mermaid Live Editor to render this:

The reason Iā€™m suggesting this is that currently AFAIK REX has no automated mechanism to clear SSH known hosts. That means you must solve this problem in some way.

If you do store the root then you can either store the intermediate on the client or present it from on the server side. Itā€™s also sufficient to only download the server cert and ignore the intermediate + chain I think.

Well I donā€™t know, I need to do research on that or ideally test it myself. I believe all X509 chain must be on client in order to verify it because if I can do it only with CA then what is the point of intermediate CAs?

Whatā€™s that? Can you elaborate please?

Should have been more explicit here. Start REX job or similar would have been more accurate.

Itā€™s actually pretty straight forward. The client needs the whole certificate chain to verify a server certificate. However, you usually just want to use a single root certificate as a trust anchor. So the clients usually just knows the root certificate. If the server is configured properly, it knows the whole chain and sends it to the client. The client can than verify the whole chain for this connection. It starts with the root certificate it knows and trusts and uses that to verify the intermediate cert if got from the server. If that validates correctly, it can use the intermediate cert to verify the actual server certificate.

Thatā€™s true. We either pin the server certificate (which might be relatively short-lived) or pin a root certificate.

This is exactly how I believe it works. Now, the question was if we can use fingerprint instead of SHA, therefore if this is fingerprint of the server cert then yes. Itā€™s probably little bit more of Ruby code than doing SHA but letā€™s do this. Thanks.

At this point, discovered node donā€™t have Foremanā€™s public key yet. I donā€™t understand, unless there are some changes in ReX to do the bootstrap.

Is this getting the Foreman SSH public key? To do what with?

Again, Foreman public key hasnā€™t yet been deployed onto the node, this login attempt will always fail until there is something I am missing here. Did you mean to use Timoā€™s
AuthorizedKeysCommand idea with your workflow? Then we should probably put the HTTP request into the diagram as well.

You bring a good point however: authorized_keys. This is indeed an issue, with discovery this will be amplified as these hosts will likely have random fingerprints after each reboot.