[Katello] Add new feature to content view

Hello,

I want to request feature, and needs your thoughts …

1. multiple CVs should be assigned to hosts ( not by composite CV, but
    there should be selection where we can assign multiple CVs to single host ).
  2. if i am promoting or publishing CV, I should be able to promote or
    publish individual repository, i should have option where i can select,
    which repository from my CV i want to promote or publish to next ENV. ( i
    know CCV does this, but it increases the step, where user has to first
    promote is CV, then go to CCV and change version there, and next is
    publish, promote that CCV ).

Regards,
Dj

> Hello,
>
> I want to request feature, and needs your thoughts …
>
> 1) multiple CVs should be assigned to hosts ( not by composite CV, but
> there should be selection where we can assign multiple CVs to single host ).

This has been requested for some time and would be useful as you could
layer multiple Content Views against a system without requiring the use
of a CCV.

There are some technical reasons why this isn't easy to do but could be
overcome with time and effort.

> 2) if i am promoting or publishing CV, I should be able to promote or
> publish individual repository, i should have option where i can select,
> which repository from my CV i want to promote or publish to next ENV. (
> i know CCV does this, but it increases the step, where user has to first
> promote is CV, then go to CCV and change version there, and next is
> publish, promote that CCV ).

Content Views are meant to be a collection of repositories that when
published are the same for each version throughout each environment and
never change. If we offer the ability to optionally promote some repos
on a per-promotion basis you lose the ability to certify with confidence
that Version 3 of Content View N is the same anywhere it is used.

How about instead we improve/fix the CCV versioning mechanism such that
you can have a "Use Latest" option where if children within a CV
published new version you would automatically get a new CCV published as
well? Allow for some automation and policy on your CCV definition so you
could automate and not be forced to manually republish the CCV in the
case of a member/child having a new version.

Mike

··· On 02/16/2015 03:30 AM, Unix SA wrote:

Mike McCune
mmccune AT redhat.com
Red Hat Engineering | Portland, OR
Systems Management | 650-254-4248

Just so this doesn't get lost, can you file a feature request in the issue
tracker? Foreman

··· On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 1:30:37 PM UTC+2, Unix SA wrote: > > Hello, > > I want to request feature, and needs your thoughts ... > > 1) multiple CVs should be assigned to hosts ( not by composite CV, but > there should be selection where we can assign multiple CVs to single host ). > 2) if i am promoting or publishing CV, I should be able to promote or > publish individual repository, i should have option where i can select, > which repository from my CV i want to promote or publish to next ENV. ( i > know CCV does this, but it increases the step, where user has to first > promote is CV, then go to CCV and change version there, and next is > publish, promote that CCV ). > > > Regards, > Dj >

Thanks Mike,

here are the use cases.

Let's assume i have RHEL6 kickstart repository, RHEL6 rpms repository,
RHEL6 common rpms repository and puppet repository.

i have created CCV for all above repositories called rhel6_base.

now i have db repo, middleware repo, finance repo, and CV created for all
of them.

here is the issue, once my host is provisioned using CCV for rhel6_base,
now i have to manually assign above ( db repo, middleware repo or finance
repo) as per my requirement, Let say i did that … but when i will have
new CV for Erratas, again i have to remove above CVs assigned to hosts and
add this Erratas CV, if will add erratas CV to above db repo, middleware
repo and finance repo, then i have aprpox 100 diff application and for all
of them i have to add this errata repo … and that will be big task …

I think "Use Latest" somewhat resolves the issue, but not 100%, because i
have unknown dependencies, as may be on host1 i need middleware and
finance, on host2 i need middewlare and db, on host3 i need finance and
middleware, that way i am creating too many CCVs and losing track somewhere
as it will be difficult to search which CCVs contains what child CVs.

Regards
dj

··· On Tuesday, 17 February 2015 09:58:28 UTC+5:30, Mike McCune wrote: > > On 02/16/2015 03:30 AM, Unix SA wrote: > > Hello, > > > > I want to request feature, and needs your thoughts ... > > > > 1) multiple CVs should be assigned to hosts ( not by composite CV, but > > there should be selection where we can assign multiple CVs to single > host ). > > This has been requested for some time and would be useful as you could > layer multiple Content Views against a system without requiring the use > of a CCV. > > There are some technical reasons why this isn't easy to do but could be > overcome with time and effort. > > > 2) if i am promoting or publishing CV, I should be able to promote or > > publish individual repository, i should have option where i can select, > > which repository from my CV i want to promote or publish to next ENV. ( > > i know CCV does this, but it increases the step, where user has to first > > promote is CV, then go to CCV and change version there, and next is > > publish, promote that CCV ). > > Content Views are meant to be a collection of repositories that when > published are the same for each version throughout each environment and > never change. If we offer the ability to optionally promote some repos > on a per-promotion basis you lose the ability to certify with confidence > that Version 3 of Content View N is the same anywhere it is used. > > How about instead we improve/fix the CCV versioning mechanism such that > you can have a "Use Latest" option where if children within a CV > published new version you would automatically get a new CCV published as > well? Allow for some automation and policy on your CCV definition so you > could automate and not be forced to manually republish the CCV in the > case of a member/child having a new version. > > Mike > > -- > Mike McCune > mmccune AT redhat.com > Red Hat Engineering | Portland, OR > Systems Management | 650-254-4248 >

Mike,

I was just about to put in a RFE for a "Continual Update" button to be
added to a CCV, so I am glad to see it rummaging around in your head!
Would definitely like to have this feature.

Also was thinking about the whole protect base/priorities for repos inside
a CV. It would be nice if that could be an option to set in activation
keys or the CV itself like how config channels are setup in Satellite 5.x.
Thoughts?

M.newman

··· On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 11:28:28 PM UTC-5, Mike McCune wrote: > > On 02/16/2015 03:30 AM, Unix SA wrote: > > Hello, > > > > I want to request feature, and needs your thoughts ... > > > > 1) multiple CVs should be assigned to hosts ( not by composite CV, but > > there should be selection where we can assign multiple CVs to single > host ). > > This has been requested for some time and would be useful as you could > layer multiple Content Views against a system without requiring the use > of a CCV. > > There are some technical reasons why this isn't easy to do but could be > overcome with time and effort. > > > 2) if i am promoting or publishing CV, I should be able to promote or > > publish individual repository, i should have option where i can select, > > which repository from my CV i want to promote or publish to next ENV. ( > > i know CCV does this, but it increases the step, where user has to first > > promote is CV, then go to CCV and change version there, and next is > > publish, promote that CCV ). > > Content Views are meant to be a collection of repositories that when > published are the same for each version throughout each environment and > never change. If we offer the ability to optionally promote some repos > on a per-promotion basis you lose the ability to certify with confidence > that Version 3 of Content View N is the same anywhere it is used. > > How about instead we improve/fix the CCV versioning mechanism such that > you can have a "Use Latest" option where if children within a CV > published new version you would automatically get a new CCV published as > well? Allow for some automation and policy on your CCV definition so you > could automate and not be forced to manually republish the CCV in the > case of a member/child having a new version. > > Mike > > -- > Mike McCune > mmccune AT redhat.com > Red Hat Engineering | Portland, OR > Systems Management | 650-254-4248 >

-For "Use latest" button in CCV I created
RFE: Feature #9661: "Use Latest" button added to composite content views - Katello - Foreman
-For yum-plugin-priorites for repos like feature in activation keys, I
created RFE: Feature #9662: Repo priorities in activation key - Katello - Foreman

m.newman

··· On Thursday, February 26, 2015 at 2:34:18 AM UTC-5, Daniel Lobato wrote: > > Just so this doesn't get lost, can you file a feature request in the issue > tracker? http://projects.theforeman.org/projects/katello/issues/new > > On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 1:30:37 PM UTC+2, Unix SA wrote: >> >> Hello, >> >> I want to request feature, and needs your thoughts ... >> >> 1) multiple CVs should be assigned to hosts ( not by composite CV, but >> there should be selection where we can assign multiple CVs to single host ). >> 2) if i am promoting or publishing CV, I should be able to promote or >> publish individual repository, i should have option where i can select, >> which repository from my CV i want to promote or publish to next ENV. ( i >> know CCV does this, but it increases the step, where user has to first >> promote is CV, then go to CCV and change version there, and next is >> publish, promote that CCV ). >> >> >> Regards, >> Dj >> >