week.

I thought I will also need to migrate katello-upgrade to SCL, but it was
decided to not to convert katello-configure (and katello-upgrade is part
of katello-configure). It still runs atop of Ruby 1.8 and Puppet from
EPEL.

The question is if we want to migrate that to SCL stack too. The issue
here is Puppet - we would need to migrate Puppet to SCL too. I am not
sure if that does not bring issues (e.g. clients running puppet with 1.8
from EPEL vs server running Katello/Foreman/Puppet on 1.9 Ruby).

Opinions? Ohad?

LZ

··· On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 12:46:22PM +0100, Lukas Zapletal wrote: > Hey, > > as you may noticed, I have been working on getting SCL packages into > RHEL6 nightly and migrating our package on SCL Ruby 1.9 stack. This was > finished this morning, the current nightly does install on SCL stack and > bring packages prefixed with ruby193 now. > > The katello and katello-jobs services now uses ruby 1.9 as well as other > scripts from /usr/share/katello/script. The migration is not finished > tho. Mirek is still working on Foreman, therefore expect an installation > error during katello-configure. > > Even when Mirek finishes his work, SCL support in RHEL6 will not be > perfect. There will be things that will still run on ruby 1.8 (and thus > not working) - I can picture katello-upgrade for example. If you hit any > issue (a script is trying to start with /usr/bin/ruby which will not be > required soon), you need to change shebang. See katello.spec for that. > > Also I noticed Justin is preparing the 1.3 release and I made this > mistake of merging this SCL effort into the master. I would like to ask > Justin and Mirek what is the best plan now in regard to this release - > do we have enough time to complete Foreman SCL migration and release 1.3 > or should we maybe turn SCL off for a while, release 1.3 and then turn > it back on? > > Opinions? Comments? > > -- > Later, > > Lukas "lzap" Zapletal > #katello #systemengine > > _______________________________________________ > katello-devel mailing list > katello-devel@redhat.com > https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/katello-devel

Later,

Lukas “lzap” Zapletal
#katello #systemengine

There is the following report of an incompatibility when mixing Ruby
versions with Puppet, but I don't know if it would affect us:
http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/9084

Some of the report refers to 1.9.2 (which isn't supported w/Puppet), but
there are references to 1.9.3.

··· On 19/03/13 14:00, Lukas Zapletal wrote: > Ok I am working towards turning SCL off for RHEL6 now, I will push a PR > shortly. We will wait until Mirek finishes with Foreman, hopefully this > week. > > I thought I will also need to migrate katello-upgrade to SCL, but it was > decided to not to convert katello-configure (and katello-upgrade is part > of katello-configure). It still runs atop of Ruby 1.8 and Puppet from > EPEL. > > The question is if we want to migrate that to SCL stack too. The issue > here is Puppet - we would need to migrate Puppet to SCL too. I am not > sure if that does not bring issues (e.g. clients running puppet with 1.8 > from EPEL vs server running Katello/Foreman/Puppet on 1.9 Ruby).

Dominic Cleal
Red Hat Engineering

Can we run the installer without the new gems? If so, I am all for not
porting them yet.

– bk

··· On 03/19/2013 10:07 AM, Dominic Cleal wrote: > On 19/03/13 14:00, Lukas Zapletal wrote: >> Ok I am working towards turning SCL off for RHEL6 now, I will push a PR >> shortly. We will wait until Mirek finishes with Foreman, hopefully this >> week. >> >> I thought I will also need to migrate katello-upgrade to SCL, but it was >> decided to not to convert katello-configure (and katello-upgrade is part >> of katello-configure). It still runs atop of Ruby 1.8 and Puppet from >> EPEL. >> >> The question is if we want to migrate that to SCL stack too. The issue >> here is Puppet - we would need to migrate Puppet to SCL too. I am not >> sure if that does not bring issues (e.g. clients running puppet with 1.8 >> from EPEL vs server running Katello/Foreman/Puppet on 1.9 Ruby). > > There is the following report of an incompatibility when mixing Ruby > versions with Puppet, but I don't know if it would affect us: > http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/9084 > > Some of the report refers to 1.9.2 (which isn't supported w/Puppet), but > there are references to 1.9.3. >

That's what we do right now, it is working currently. The drawback is
you have Ruby 1.8 and Ruby 1.9 installed on the box. The default one is
Ruby 1.8 of course, only Katello and Katello Disconnected do use 1.9
right now.

LZ

··· On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 08:55:45AM -0400, Bryan Kearney wrote: > On 03/19/2013 10:07 AM, Dominic Cleal wrote: > >On 19/03/13 14:00, Lukas Zapletal wrote: > >>Ok I am working towards turning SCL off for RHEL6 now, I will push a PR > >>shortly. We will wait until Mirek finishes with Foreman, hopefully this > >>week. > >> > >>I thought I will also need to migrate katello-upgrade to SCL, but it was > >>decided to not to convert katello-configure (and katello-upgrade is part > >>of katello-configure). It still runs atop of Ruby 1.8 and Puppet from > >>EPEL. > >> > >>The question is if we want to migrate that to SCL stack too. The issue > >>here is Puppet - we would need to migrate Puppet to SCL too. I am not > >>sure if that does not bring issues (e.g. clients running puppet with 1.8 > >>from EPEL vs server running Katello/Foreman/Puppet on 1.9 Ruby). > > > >There is the following report of an incompatibility when mixing Ruby > >versions with Puppet, but I don't know if it would affect us: > >http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/9084 > > > >Some of the report refers to 1.9.2 (which isn't supported w/Puppet), but > >there are references to 1.9.3. > > > Can we run the installer without the new gems? If so, I am all for > not porting them yet.

Later,

Lukas “lzap” Zapletal
#katello #systemengine