Katello showing an applicable update for glibc, but it never installs

Problem:
We’re having a weird issue here with Katello where it is showing one of our servers as having:
glibc-2.12-1.212.el6.x86_64

as an applicable update. When we click to install it in Katello’s web UI it says success however it doesn’t actually do anything. Doing a yum install glibc-2.12-1.212.el6.x86_64 on the server itself shows No package glibc-2.12-1.212.el6.x86_64 available.

Does anyone know what’s wrong?

Expected outcome:
Katello should be accurate in displaying software updates and patches

Katello is calculating the errata state based on packages available in Library and not the Content view by default. You can change this on Administer > Settings > Content by changing “Installable errata from Content View” to “Yes”. Could this be the problem?

Another issue I had in the past were repository priorities and packages excludes defined in yum configuration because Katello does not know about such things.

Hello Dirk,

Thanks for the reply! glibc is actually not an erratra, but showing up as an applicable update… so that setting unfortunately did not work for us. Any other ideas?

-Alex

You might try running the following on the client:

katello-package-upload --force
katello-enabled-repos-upload --force

Wait a few minutes and see if its still showing as available.

Also, what does ‘yum info glibc’ show?

Hello Justin!

Good to hear from ya. Running ‘yum info glibc’ shows me this:
Installed Packages
Name : glibc
Arch : x86_64
Version : 2.12
Release : 1.192.el6
Size : 12 M
Repo : installed
From repo : base
Summary : The GNU libc libraries
URL : http://sources.redhat.com/glibc/
License : LGPLv2+ and LGPLv2+ with exceptions and GPLv2+
Description : The glibc package contains standard libraries which are used by
: multiple programs on the system. In order to save disk space and
: memory, as well as to make upgrading easier, common system code is
: kept in one place and shared between programs. This particular package
: contains the most important sets of shared libraries: the standard C
: library and the standard math library. Without these two libraries, a
: Linux system will not function.

I’ve just ran your other two commands on the host and will report back if there are any changes

Looks like those two commands don’t work :frowning:

glibc-2.12-1.212.el6.x86_64 still shows on Katello Web UI as an applicable update and allows me to update it with a success message, even though the server itself says no package found when doing:
‘yum install glibc-2.12-1.212.el6.x86_64’

Hello Justin,

Another thing I just found is that. My Katello upstream URL is:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6/os/x86_64/

Browsing through the packages in there I definitely see glibc 212, however my machine has installed 192 from a repo called ‘base’… Could that be why?

-Alex

ado120 hrmmm, couple of questions:

1. Is the client registered to a content view or to “Library”?
  2. If its registered to library, does the repository show the gcc-212 package? (products > click a product > click the repo > click the package count)
  3. If its registered to a content view/lifecycle environment, does the content view version show the gcc 212 package? (Content views -> click your view -> click the version in the correct lifecycle environment -> click the package tab)

Justin

Hello Justin!

It is not subscribed to Library, but rather a content view called “Testing”

1. Oh shoot, in the version of the content view, glib212 is not in there. How do I fix this? Good catch!!

Hello Justin,

I misspoke. Looking under the content view, I do see glib 2.12-1.212.el6 under the version that the server is subscribed to. So we’re back to square 1. I’m not quite sure why the server doesn’t see the package.

-Alex

Hello Justin!

Any other things I can try for this issue?

-Alex