[Katello] Use case for org-agnostic products

Hi all,

As a result of a conversation in #theforeman earlier, here's a use case for having Products as a top-level entity, rather than a subservient property of Org.

My biggest issue is that I sync CentOS across multiple orgs, and each time I update CentOS or add a new org, I have to "create" the product again and "sync" the repos. I know that pulp eliminates the RPM duplication on disk, but having to create the product multiple times is 1) a lot of extra database entries, and 2) a lot of extra footwork (and chances to make a mistake). It would be preferable to be able to create a product and select organizations to associate to it, much like top-level entities (such as Operating System?) in Foreman operate.

Current workflow:

1.  Select org

2.  Create product

3.  Create repos

4.  Sync repos

5.  Repeat entire process for each product and set of repos in each org

Proposed/desired workflow:

1.  Create product

2.  Create repos under product (I think repos still belong under products, since amalgamation of cross-repo content is what content views are for)

3.  In Product properties, assign/unassign relationship between this product and orgs/locs in list-style format like the other TLEs.

I'm interested in whether others would find this to be a useful change in structure as well. Thanks for reading.

[cid:image002.png@01D02F38.40189010]<http://www.ntent.com/&gt;

Ashton Davis, Senior Infrastructure Engineer
adavis@ntent.com I www.ntent.com<http://www.ntent.com/?utm_source=emailsignature&amp;utm_medium=email&amp;utm_term=ntent&amp;utm_campaign=ntentemail&gt;
[cid:image003.png@01D02F35.32982BB0]<https://twitter.com/WithNtent&gt; [cid:image004.png@01D02F35.32982BB0] <LinkedIn Login, Sign in | LinkedIn; [cid:image005.png@01D02F35.32982BB0] <Facebook; [cid:image006.png@01D02F35.32982BB0] <Google Workspace Updates: New community features for Google Chat and an update on Currents;

We have the same issue but it also applies to most content views/gpg
keys/host collections & activation keys. It's a lot of work, and if you
have multiple katello/foreman environments's to manage it becomes very
labour intensive.

Currently I'm working on some kind of clone / import-export script so I
won't get RSI from all that clicking and bored from all the waiting for
tasks to complete, but I have to find the time to develop it further.

Kind regards,

Jorick Astrego

Met vriendelijke groet, With kind regards,

Jorick Astrego

Netbulae Virtualization Experts

ยทยทยท On 01/13/2015 10:53 PM, Ashton Davis wrote: > > Hi all, > > > > As a result of a conversation in #theforeman earlier, here's a use > case for having Products as a top-level entity, rather than a > subservient property of Org. > > > > My biggest issue is that I sync CentOS across multiple orgs, and each > time I update CentOS or add a new org, I have to "create" the product > again and "sync" the repos. I know that pulp eliminates the RPM > duplication on disk, but having to create the product multiple times > is 1) a lot of extra database entries, and 2) a lot of extra footwork > (and chances to make a mistake). It would be preferable to be able to > create a product and select organizations to associate to it, much > like top-level entities (such as Operating System?) in Foreman operate. > > > > Current workflow: > > 1) Select org > > 2) Create product > > 3) Create repos > > 4) Sync repos > > 5) Repeat entire process for each product and set of repos in > each org > > > > Proposed/desired workflow: > > 1) Create product > > 2) Create repos under product (I think repos still belong under > products, since amalgamation of cross-repo content is what content > views are for) > > 3) In Product properties, assign/unassign relationship between > this product and orgs/locs in list-style format like the other TLEs. > > > > I'm interested in whether others would find this to be a useful change > in structure as well. Thanks for reading. > > ----------------
Tel: 053 20 30 270 	info@netbulae.eu 	Staalsteden 4-3A 	KvK 08198180
Fax: 053 20 30 271 	www.netbulae.eu 	7547 TA Enschede 	BTW NL821234584B01