Lot of critisism on reddit.com

The user didn’t specify whether it was vanilla Foreman or Katello. Katello applies a Puppet workflow on top that’s very restrictive. You manage Puppet environments via life cycle environments. Because it’s using Pulp to deploy it, there’s no way to customize it. You can’t store Hiera data in environments. I can imagine why the Katello view of using Puppet makes people hate it.

I disagree here. Foreman was developed by a community of users who needed functionality because they had real world problems to solve. Granted, most of those users weren’t UI people and honestly, for a lot of it the UI was too hard. For many things I personally would have preferred config files over a UI and still do. Which I think why foreman-ansible-modules might become the preferred UI for many users.

I’ll admit I never really used content views. The first time I tried it, I wanted a local copy of a yum repository for Icinga. The library would probably have been enough. However, it meant that I also needed to create a product. Maybe this isn’t opinionated but just a complex model optimized for a world where you care about subscriptions.

I strongly disagree with the statement that Puppet is unfit for it.

Currently we do expose the user to too many options and the Katello installer scenario is suffering from a bad design and a very complex platform. Right now I’m working on an experiment to redesign it. It’ll also be much more straight forward once Pulp 2 is dropped. We can also hide many more options.

Another thing that will improve is the applications themselves. Currently there’s a very static configuration of Pulp in Katello. with Pulp 3 we’ve taken lessons and made it more dynamic and loosely coupled. This means we no longer configure available content types in both Pulp and katello.yaml. Katello will detect the available content types. This makes the installation easier, including potential container deployments.

I’d say this is fine and already how a lot of users use Foreman and Puppet. They use Hiera to set class parameters. However, Katello has a much more opinionated view that makes this much harder and guides users in to fully using the ENC. Since there’s no Puppet plugin planned for Pulp 3, the Pulp 2 removal will free users from this burden. However, I’m still not entirely convinced we should stop supporting this entirely.

The installer has had an option to manage a git repo with a hook to deploy repositories based on branches. This is older than r10k and based on pure git envs (like git submodules). Obviously this is dated by now and probably not used by people. Still, I like the idea of a recommended workflow that’s up to date with the best practices. Puppet enterprise has Code Manager for this and puppet_webhook also exists. I’d also consider an extension to the smart-proxy Puppet module. That already knows how to talk to Puppetserver (to purge caches) and Foreman (to import classes). Might mean you need to depend on smart proxy dynflow.

1 Like

Fair point, but…

I agree, that the host create form isn’t good. I wanted to say, that most companies struggle with implementing a CMDB and keeping the data correct. Foreman can be your single source of truth about what is going on in your data center and that’s why I believe it’s a good tool to have.

From my observation, sysadmins find the foreman part of the ecosystem simpler to use because objects in Foreman represent what they know: A host, a subnet, an ip address, a domain, a puppet class. That doesn’t need any explanation. The template association with operating systems is a bit rough, that is something we should improve.

From my observation, sysadmins like to have control and choice. As stated above, imho the Foreman terminology is already common knowledge. Even with several years of Foreman experience I still struggle to understand what a Composite Content View is.

Mostly from chats with community members (e.g. at conferences) or by mentoring sysadmins who are new to the topic.
Most people want a simple host-centric workflow. Let’s test patches in dev, a week later in stage and then deploy them a week later (or e.g. every third Sunday each month) in production.

1 Like

UX will often get conflated with UI, but it includes the documentation, getting the repos set up, the installer, and UI/CLI/FAModules. I did touch on many areas in my post. Overall it is not a user-friendly experience.

I can understand that, it does seem like a larger effort when I think about it more. Do you think we could do things outside of this effort too? It seems like we could do well creating docs around our expected workflows too. But of course, it takes developer’s time, and that is hard to come by.

I don’t think a full rewrite of the installer is in the cards, so its probably safe to assume it will stay in puppet. So with this assumption, it seems like we need to have a way to make this hundreds-of-options system more approachable and user-friendly. Users just want to get Foreman installed and running and we can talk about puppet’s limitations all day, but why would a user care? It should just work. It was a pretty embarrassing moment for me at a local meetup when someone said they tried to install and setup Foreman, but just gave up trying to do so because it was so complicated. Similar comments were made in the reddit thread too. So we have a general consensus, but we aren’t doing anything about it.

I came up with (but I think it has been suggested before) the idea of extending foreman-maintain to help with the initial install or creating a new tool to do so. I don’t know if this is the best way, I would love to hear more ideas from other devs on how we can improve the initial install and setup.

This is really the big one. The overall impression I get is we try to do many things and serve many users and we don’t do all of it well. Most of us are spread thin and don’t have time to do all the maintenance and refactorings we would like, leading to technical debt. I’m not an expert in all of the offerings out there for sysadmins, but it seems like the landscape has changed quite a bit and there are many more tools out there in the areas we manage. So it does seem like refining Foreman/Katello down to a collection of sharp tools that execute well is a really great way to pivot into an application that sysadmins find helpful.

It would be great to get some feedback on what parts of Foreman/Katello users find work well and what parts they are actually using. Maybe we can get feedback from users in our yearly survey or similar. As a developer, I often feel like I don’t understand the users needs well. I think this leads to decisions to placate all users rather than knowing what users actually need. There is a Steve Jobs quote that goes something along the lines of “configuration is for those who don’t understand their users”. Now that is pretty extreme and probably should be taken with a huge grain of salt, but I think there is some nugget of truth for us in there, we could understand our user’s needs better.

We can also take a step back and define our goals as an application. What problems are we trying to solve for sysadmins in 2020? If we have defined goals that makes making decisions easier and tell us what parts of the application we should focus on and how we can structure our application.

I think a turning point is needed. It would really be a shame if we didn’t take this feedback (which we have seen before) and make significant changes to improve. I think there will have to be efforts in many areas and large changes, but its definitely possible to do so over the next year or so.

2 Likes

I don’t share the opinion similar to this one: “If you need a setting for something, you’ve failed.”

I think the key for success is both in narrowing down the scope and making the default installation working for the target group. We need to change Foreman in a way that new users would not search for those settings and could use it for year until they want more from it.

I think newcomers are overwhelmed with too many features. Thus the confusion, anger and these reddit.com posts.

I’d like to take a moment to discuss this, as the first time participating on this forum, and as this subject seems to be of upmost importance.

First of all, I’d like to thank you for the project, as it is a tool that I’ve found extremely valuable during my growth from a student to becoming a sysadmin.

As someone who is using Foreman along with Katello, I think some of what I noticed during my experiments would be interesting for you.

I’ve read previously on this thread that the web UI looks more like it’s build around the database than the workflow. I think that this specific point is one of the source for most frustrations. To take the example I’ve read on the reddit post earlier, Puppet seems complicated to setup with Foreman. I found 2 different ways to have a working puppet installation, one linked to a content view, and one linked to hostgroup directly.

Something that has me still confused is building Puppet and / or Ansible snippets specifically for use with Foreman. There’s the possibility to use smart variables too. Maybe giving some “sample code” would be a great idea for that part ? I know it’s possible to find some guide on RedHat website, but centralizing it on a Puppet dedicated section would be probably helpful.
Also, something I think would be really great would be the ability to sync content from git or svn repository directly from the UI. I go into the CLI with no problem, but I still think it

Ansible, I had a horrible time around this one. If only I had known that Foreman was proxying through the loopback in order to then SSH into the remote hosts (that’s how I’ve witnessed the remote execution work), I would have spend less time debugging and wondering where were the logs.

I can also finalize my experience with the tool by the following : I was overwhelmed and have really been at some point (such as the example right above), at some point I even thought I’d need to dive into the rubygems to understand what was happening. I progressed by reading the RedHat Satellite documentation, which still lacked at some point.

4 Likes

I think it is if we don’t try to solve everything. See RFC: Make Foreman easy to deploy and maintain where also other topics such as documentation were discussed. Also look at https://github.com/ares/spark, this is based on @ehelms modules (not sure how much effort was invested in them before) and it took 2-3 days to get this repo to a point, we can deploy Foreman + few critical plugins to be able to install more things using Foreman itself. We just need a wrapper to get 5-10 inputs from user. That should be the most that user can specify, all the rest should IMHO be configurable later.

This thread seems to discuss many things. I’d suggest split that into separate topics and potentially working groups that would discuss, suggest and commit to work on respective changes. At this point it seems everyone wants the change. This great thread reminds me some discussions we had in the past. To avoid repeating it again in 6 months, we need to take some action. I’ll reuse good summary from @John_Mitsch and will summarize information I’ve seen here or elsewhere about existing efforts so people can join if they feel they can help in some area.

• documentation - I think people interested in this can join @lzap, @mcorr and @bbuckingham who are actively working on improvements in this area, while there may be work outside of foreman-documentation, this sounds like a group of interest already
  • installer - @ekohl experiments in this area, I know @ehelms spent some time thinking about this too, if people are interested, I suggest reach out to them, two possible paths forward are keep tech and refactor, change tech but also limit capabilities of the installer but there may be much more to explore
  • webui - any change in here will lead to a discussion about changing existing UI or build a new separately, I think we got to a point it’s worth PoC of new standalone UI and see how that would work and if we’re missing something, what’s possible to achieve in reasonable time and what the impact would be to existing plugins and tests, in fact @Ron_Lavi I believe suggests that at Upgrading to Patternfly 4 in Foreman, perhaps new thread should be created on this topic, it may be broken to more subtopics too (page redesign, separate repo, new tech, pf4 etc)
  • improve tests - there’s already a working group and suggestion at E2E and functional testing meeting notes, thanks @John_Mitsch, @amirfefer, @ekohl, and @Roman_Plevka, I believe any help is welcome, reach out if you’re interested
  • scope - I think @tbrisker did a great job of reducing things in 2.0. I read in this topic, some puppet functionality is also a good candidate. I know @tbrisker is long term working on reducing number of settings, simplifying org/locs. Recently we also talked about pages such as hw models, statistics, trends which are probably not used much. Let’s propose dropping/extracting them in community survery. I think reducing complexity also belongs to here, e.g. our over complicated permission system, multitenancy model etc can be simplified if we sacrifice some fucntionality. Tomer, if you want help with this, count me in. If you’d like to create some king of a group of interest, please let me know where I can join.

There’s a big chance I’ve missed some other ongoing efforts, please share what you’re working on, so we can see where we can cooperate and mvoe on. If you’re not involved yet but would like to join any of the topic above, hopefully the list of nicks helps.

6 Likes

This is really interesting and thanks for sharing how it has progressed, I will have to look into it more. I think continuing to develop a layer like this would be a great way to enhance the usability of Foreman. It doesn’t require a re-write and will give users a way to get up and running with Foreman without inducing decision fatigue and needing to know every corner of the app before you even install it. Perhaps it warrants a working group, even if its still in the investigation stage?

It’s indeed very positive if you look on it this way. We are on a good track, let’s keep focused.

1 Like

THIS. This. this. Thank you for confirmation - we are actually bringing these books upstream and into Foreman context so everyone can benefit, understand, plan deployment and contribute. @mcorr and @bbuckingham

4 Likes

Also, welcome to the forum. Share your experience here, so we can learn from it. Others can find your solutions. And eventually we can improve the project or its documentation.

Isn’t this, what we actually need? getstarted.theforeman.org - a small ui that outputs the required command for our installer to get started? I don’t think yet another installer and more code that has to be maintained by the community is what we need.
Sorry guys, the puppet modules aren’t the problem. If users know the correct parameters, it works great and sets Foreman up. I guess the pain points are, that users are overwhelmed by the amount of parameters. So let’s just hide them or give them a curated set of ready-to-use installer commands. Why can’t we tell users “Run this command and you’re done.”? Certainly not because our installer is puppet based. The technology isn’t the problem, it’s the workflows we don’t have.

2 Likes

Also, welcome to the forum. Share your experience here, so we can learn from it. Others can find your solutions. And eventually we can improve the project or its documentation.

Now that I have more experience and confidence with the toolkit, I begin to see where the project lacks in my opinion, but keep in mind that I use Katello along.

To me, content creation is a tedious process if it’s not automated ahead in time, and even automating it would be tedious as well (lots of hammer repository create in a bash file that easily become gigantic). It requires lots of planning, and to make sure parameters are meeting the requirements, and I had a big surprise in my learning experiments with the on-demand flag and a Fedora repository, prompting me to restart my lab from scratch (missing packages from upstream). I’m glad this parameter is now visible in the UI, but I still feel like a small warning would be really appropriate as some mirrors will not cache the full content even for CentOS. As an example of such repository, the Centos 7 update repo hosted by Belnet ( https://ftp.belnet.be/mirror/ftp.centos.org/7/updates/x86_64/Packages/ ).
It could lead to this kind of issues for organization that are lagging behind for any reason. Now that I know about that behaviour, it’s something that I’m perfectly fine with, but that was a tidbit that caused lots of questioning.

Also, I’m in the process of updating the Katello stack, and the very important part for the following is that I integrated it in the content management, so it has a specific composite content view from which I pull updates. The upgrade process from 3.12 (which is currently running) is more complicated by far, with the need to recreate every repositories. For a one-node installation, this isn’t smart, but that’s why I’ve got my own lab, to have sub-optimal setups and highlight some issue. This led me to take a look at the documentation, and a great idea to make the process smooth for those updates that require editing repository configuration would be to pull the repos RPM, and create repositories in the product from there. When creating a product, I can scan a URL, I can manually create it, but I can’t upload the rpm containing all the information and create it.

As an additional process I’m still pulling my hair on is Remote Execution and Ansible. When running ad-hoc jobs, I can clearly see that there’s a very specific structure, the idea is to pin a role to a hostgroup. How about running ad-hoc playbooks ? In the documentation ( Foreman :: Plugin Manuals ), the example is running a bash command in a shell, that one works easily. Rebooting hosts through Ansible however will return an error if executed as the SSH connection gets killed in the process, the playbook interprets it as an error. I recall having a playbook that would not return any error on those, but I can’t find a way to integrate it in the job execution. I use the platform I have setup because it works as I want it to, but there are small tasks for which I’d get back to basic Ansible playbooks, such as copying a file over. This could be integrated in Foreman and allow to pull file from the versioned content.

On the things that are great, I have it setup such as I can automatically deploy a virtual machine through the web UI (ignoring a small bug I’ve got in the UI), the machine installs itself and is updated then. Basically, injecting enough work in Katello would allow me to become an optional part of the machine deployment and configuration, perfect automation. Domain junction worked after a fair amount of tinkering (FreeIPA domain),

Sorry guys, the puppet modules aren’t the problem. If users know the correct parameters, it works great and sets Foreman up. I guess the pain points are, that users are overwhelmed by the amount of parameters. So let’s just hide them or give them a curated set of ready-to-use installer commands. Why can’t we tell users “Run this command and you’re done.”? Certainly not because our installer is puppet based. The technology isn’t the problem, it’s the workflows we don’t have.

Totally agree, the first time I had a look at Foreman, I spent a fair amount of time reading what parameter exist, noting on a notepad what was interesting, writing my command, and then it installed like a breeze.
A getstarted.theforeman.org would be really great, or even have a foreman-gen-install which would generate an foreman-install based on answers. That one would even work offline.
The problem I had was the amount of options available, which was really overwhelming at first.

As for the installation process and the full “get started” for Katello, I’ve seen this blog post recently ( https://www.lisenet.com/2018/katello-create-products-repositories-content-views-lifecycle-environments-activation-keys/ ).
Maybe having a way to pre-create some products would also be interesting, as most setups are performed on CentOS systems ? At least taking a look at the system on which would allow to pull the repository configuration (if it’s using a very specific mirror), pre-create the products, GPG keys, …

2 Likes

I think this is what we are all leaning towards, but the question is if that should be done through documentation or software.

If anyone wants to start this, I am willing to participate in delivering know-how for provisioning-related options. We need much more people involved in this (configuration, content, plugins) and also some fancy JS/HTML.

3 Likes

We actually have that, kinda. It asks you 500 questions and then you are done :slight_smile:

Here is how such a session would start, just for fun. This is how engineers create interfaces :slight_smile:

# foreman-installer -i
Resetting puppet server version param...
Welcome to the Satellite installer!
-----------------------------------

This wizard will gather all required information. You can change any parameter
to your needs.

Ready to start? (y/n)
y

Main Config Menu
1. [✓] Configure certs
2. [✓] Configure foreman
3. [✓] Configure foreman_cli
4. [✗] Configure foreman_compute_ec2
5. [✗] Configure foreman_compute_gce
6. [✗] Configure foreman_compute_libvirt
7. [✗] Configure foreman_compute_openstack
8. [✗] Configure foreman_compute_ovirt
9. [✗] Configure foreman_compute_rackspace
10. [✗] Configure foreman_compute_vmware
11. [✓] Configure foreman_plugin_ansible
12. [✗] Configure foreman_plugin_bootdisk
13. [✓] Configure foreman_plugin_discovery
14. [✓] Configure foreman_plugin_docker
15. [✓] Configure foreman_plugin_hooks
16. [✓] Configure foreman_plugin_openscap
17. [✓] Configure foreman_plugin_remote_execution
18. [✓] Configure foreman_plugin_tasks
19. [✓] Configure foreman_plugin_templates
20. [✓] Configure foreman_proxy
21. [✓] Configure foreman_proxy_content
22. [✓] Configure foreman_proxy_plugin_ansible
23. [✗] Configure foreman_proxy_plugin_dhcp_infoblox
24. [✗] Configure foreman_proxy_plugin_dhcp_remote_isc
25. [✓] Configure foreman_proxy_plugin_discovery
26. [✗] Configure foreman_proxy_plugin_dns_infoblox
27. [✓] Configure foreman_proxy_plugin_openscap
28. [✓] Configure foreman_proxy_plugin_pulp
29. [✓] Configure foreman_proxy_plugin_remote_execution_ssh
30. [✓] Configure katello
31. [✓] Configure puppet
32. Display current config
33. Save and run
34. Cancel run without Saving
Choose an option from the menu... 2

Module foreman configuration
1. Enable/disable foreman module, current value: true
2. Set admin_username, current value: "admin"
3. Set admin_password, current value: "changeme"
4. Set admin_first_name, current value: UNDEF
5. Set admin_last_name, current value: UNDEF
6. Set admin_email, current value: UNDEF
7. Set db_manage, current value: true
8. Set db_type, current value: "postgresql"
9. Set email_delivery_method, current value: UNDEF
10. Set email_smtp_address, current value: UNDEF
11. Set email_smtp_port, current value: 25
12. Set email_smtp_domain, current value: UNDEF
13. Set email_smtp_authentication, current value: "none"
14. Set email_smtp_user_name, current value: UNDEF
15. Set email_smtp_password, current value: UNDEF
16. Set locations_enabled, current value: true
17. Set organizations_enabled, current value: true
18. Set initial_organization, current value: "MyOrg"
19. Set initial_location, current value: "MyLoc"
20. Set ipa_authentication, current value: false
21. Set puppetrun, current value: false
22. Configure Advanced parameters
23. Reset a parameter to its default value
24. Back to main menu
Choose an option from the menu... 22

Group Advanced parameters (of module foreman)
1. Set foreman_url, current value: "https://fivesix.ipsix.lan"
2. Set unattended, current value: true
3. Set unattended_url, current value: UNDEF
4. Set authentication, current value: true
5. Set passenger, current value: true
6. Set passenger_ruby, current value: "/usr/bin/tfm-ruby"
7. Set passenger_ruby_package, current value: "tfm-rubygem-passenger-native"
8. Set plugin_prefix, current value: "tfm-rubygem-foreman_"
9. Set use_vhost, current value: true
10. Set servername, current value: "fivesix.ipsix.lan"
11. Set serveraliases, current value: ["foreman"]
12. Set ssl, current value: true
13. Set custom_repo, current value: true
14. Set repo, current value: "1.18"
15. Set configure_epel_repo, current value: false
16. Set configure_scl_repo, current value: false
17. Set selinux, current value: UNDEF
18. Set gpgcheck, current value: true
19. Set version, current value: "present"
20. Set plugin_version, current value: "present"
21. Set db_adapter, current value: UNDEF
22. Set db_host, current value: UNDEF
23. Set db_port, current value: UNDEF
24. Set db_database, current value: UNDEF
25. Set db_username, current value: "foreman"
26. Set db_password, current value: "ErjLWsWz4Qkx9bneuf5rSPGnp2ScUwz4"
27. Set db_sslmode, current value: UNDEF
28. Set db_root_cert, current value: UNDEF
29. Set db_pool, current value: 5
30. Set db_manage_rake, current value: true
31. Set app_root, current value: "/usr/share/foreman"
32. Set manage_user, current value: true
33. Set user, current value: "foreman"
34. Set group, current value: "foreman"
35. Set rails_env, current value: "production"
36. Set user_groups, current value: ["puppet"]
37. Set passenger_interface, current value: UNDEF
38. Set passenger_prestart, current value: true
39. Set passenger_min_instances, current value: 1
40. Set passenger_start_timeout, current value: 90
41. Set vhost_priority, current value: "05"
42. Set server_port, current value: 80
43. Set server_ssl_port, current value: 443
44. Set server_ssl_ca, current value:
"/etc/pki/katello/certs/katello-default-ca.crt"
45. Set server_ssl_chain, current value:
"/etc/pki/katello/certs/katello-server-ca.crt"
46. Set server_ssl_cert, current value:
"/etc/pki/katello/certs/katello-apache.crt"
47. Set server_ssl_certs_dir, current value: ""
48. Set server_ssl_key, current value:
"/etc/pki/katello/private/katello-apache.key"
49. Set server_ssl_crl, current value: ""
50. Set server_ssl_protocol, current value: UNDEF
51. Set client_ssl_ca, current value: "/etc/foreman/proxy_ca.pem"
52. Set client_ssl_cert, current value: "/etc/foreman/client_cert.pem"
53. Set client_ssl_key, current value: "/etc/foreman/client_key.pem"
54. Set keepalive, current value: true
55. Set max_keepalive_requests, current value: 10000
56. Set keepalive_timeout, current value: 5
57. Set oauth_active, current value: true
58. Set oauth_map_users, current value: false
59. Set oauth_consumer_key, current value: "wKHh22dY4qMzd5KPvPAMJAhmUBPcHk3X"
60. Set oauth_consumer_secret, current value: "S8etdxcYNPEADhyLw8yTLzGm5SoqKwjF"
61. Set http_keytab, current value: "/etc/httpd/conf/http.keytab"
62. Set pam_service, current value: "foreman"
63. Set ipa_manage_sssd, current value: true
64. Set websockets_encrypt, current value: true
65. Set websockets_ssl_key, current value:
"/etc/pki/katello/private/katello-apache.key"
66. Set websockets_ssl_cert, current value:
"/etc/pki/katello/certs/katello-apache.crt"
67. Set logging_level, current value: "info"
68. Set logging_type, current value: "file"
69. Set logging_layout, current value: "pattern"
70. Set loggers, current value: {}
71. Set telemetry_prefix, current value: "fm_rails"

… etc etc you get the idea :slight_smile:

Those passwords - don’t worry the VM is dead already. Just a testing machine.

I think this may be a good start and interim solution. But there are problems with our existing installer and even the puppet based approach that won’t go away with it.

1. more complicated things will continue sufferring from installer CLI limitations (no webui wizards, --help showing too many things, no interaction between related parameters)
  2. we need to own the whole configuration of deployed service (e.g. httpd, rsyslog, postgresql, redis) not just things we want to install (foreman, smart proxy, pulp, …)
  3. lack of devs willing to write the puppet code, resulting in rather building separate scripts or just documenting manual reconfiguration

Of course rewrite does not help with at least the first one. But as explained at RFC: Make Foreman easy to deploy and maintain this shouldn’t be a rewrite. We need to have the installer do the minimum and make the rest of the configuration from Foreman itself. But I agree, until we get there, existing installer can be used.

I agree this is an issue and recently I’ve been thinking about how we can improve this. There’s a huge issue with many parameters that aren’t marked as advanced while they should be. In particular the Foreman Proxy and Puppet modules suffer from this. These pretty trivial changes but I don’t see anyone taking responsibility here.

I still see this as a feature, not a problem. We often talk about being opinionated and this is a case that I’m strongly in favor of that. This way we can ensure we have a supportable deployment.

That is an issue, but something that will always happen. For example, I wouldn’t want to submit patches if the installer was written in Ansible and yet others prefer some other tool. We’d see the same thing if we only shipped containers.

Traditionally what we’ve seen in open source is that someone writes an alternative, people like that alternative better than the initial and becomes the default. In other cases a consensus was reached a rewrite was needed. If another group of people are willing to build and maintain an alternative installer capable of replacing the current one, I’d be happy to hand it over.

That’s just very misleading because the first sentence there is:

In this part of the tutorial we will show how to set up Foreman authentication manually (without using installer option).

That’s just a bad example given 5.7.1 is the example with the installer. Given the fact there’s still instructions there referencing RHEL 6 (which we dropped in Foreman 1.13) suggests this is a good example of nobody updating documentation though.

1 Like

This should at least clean up the EL6 instructions:

As much as I don’t believe Puppet is the right tool to manage Foreman, I believe rewriting it is out of table. There’s no way, we cannot afford spending six months with this.

What makes sense it a “wizard” (in any form, preferably online) that would generate the installer command. That makes a lot of sense. Actually, the more I think about it the more I like the idea of it. Let me explain.

The reason why users naturally treat Foreman/Katello/Satellite deployments as “pet” servers even when they were mostly deployed by Puppet is the bad installation experience. All the details you had to find and lack of documentation make users believe that it’s hard to reinstall. And it is true, it’s not easy, particularly for newcomers. They will make everything to avoid doing that again.

If we have a wizard that makes this experience shorter and nicer, then people could start thinking - well maybe I am going to deploy new version next to the old one since it only took one hour. This is where users can actually leverage the benefit of Puppet. Maybe the reason why I see Puppet as the bad tool for the job stems from the fact that me or users do not think about quickly redeploying it - the thing which Puppet is good at.

Such a wizard I think should have these features:

• Describes features rather than plugins or technical details. Solves: Less need of documentation and searching.
  • Is easy to add new questions/options and to maintain for all community users. Solves: We will actually have content in it.
  • Questions are independent, users can take any order or even finish it early. Solves: Impatient users actually finish it.
  • Has automated testing that will make sure it would never generate an invalid installer command. Solves: It would actually work.
  • Respects there are multiple versions of the project or the installer with different options. Solves: Old versions (probably we would just branch the wizard for each release).
  • Can be easily branded to downstream (Satellite, Orachino) so product owners are interested in investing more effort. Solves: Resources.

What if I start a small know-how engine in TypeScript? Would you be interested in delivering know-now (backend) or writing a fancy UI (frontend)? If you give heart it means you want to participate.

1 Like