Missing systems in dashboard report on 0.3

When looking at the dashboard page in foreman on 0.3 it reports 3/13
hosts with a good report in past 60 minutes. It also says 5 hosts out
of sync, 0 hosts with modifications, 0 hosts in error and 0 with
alerts disabled. But when I view the hosts page, I see 8 hosts with a
green check with a last report < 60 minutes, and the expected 5 hosts
out of sync. Not sure why I only see 3/13 good systems on dashboard
page when I guess I would expect 8.

Let me know if any information would help to troubleshoot this.

Thanks,
Jake

Jake,

I cant reproduce this, is something that is consistent ?

One thing that we do, is that add a few more minutes under each criteria
(e.g. run interval + 3 minutes or so) to ensure that we capture those hosts
which run puppet now.

any chance you are falling in between that gap?

Ohad

··· On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Jake - USPS wrote:

When looking at the dashboard page in foreman on 0.3 it reports 3/13
hosts with a good report in past 60 minutes. It also says 5 hosts out
of sync, 0 hosts with modifications, 0 hosts in error and 0 with
alerts disabled. But when I view the hosts page, I see 8 hosts with a
green check with a last report < 60 minutes, and the expected 5 hosts
out of sync. Not sure why I only see 3/13 good systems on dashboard
page when I guess I would expect 8.

Let me know if any information would help to troubleshoot this.

Thanks,
Jake

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Foreman users" group.
To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users?hl=en.

Sorry for the late reply on this. Been away from this for a while
with patching and then OOO with a new baby girl.

Anyways, yes this happens consistently. It still happening since I
left and came back.

I have the puppet_interval setup for 60 minutes and I have puppet run
randomly over a 20 minute period every 30 minutes from cron on a host
(which means it could run 10-50 minutes apart depending on the random
value generated and how I have my script setup). So not sure if this
would eliminate the gap you may be talking about or not.

Is there anymore information that could be provided to help identify
the issue? Or something I can try changing to help troubleshoot?

Thanks,
Jake

··· On Jul 3, 1:22 am, Ohad Levy wrote: > Jake, > > I cant reproduce this, is something that is consistent ? > > One thing that we do, is that add a few more minutes under each criteria > (e.g. run interval + 3 minutes or so) to ensure that we capture those hosts > which run puppet now. > > any chance you are falling in between that gap? > > Ohad > > On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Jake - USPS wrote: > > > > > > > > > When looking at the dashboard page in foreman on 0.3 it reports 3/13 > > hosts with a good report in past 60 minutes. It also says 5 hosts out > > of sync, 0 hosts with modifications, 0 hosts in error and 0 with > > alerts disabled. But when I view the hosts page, I see 8 hosts with a > > green check with a last report < 60 minutes, and the expected 5 hosts > > out of sync. Not sure why I only see 3/13 good systems on dashboard > > page when I guess I would expect 8. > > > Let me know if any information would help to troubleshoot this. > > > Thanks, > > Jake > > > -- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > > "Foreman users" group. > > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. > > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to > > foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > > For more options, visit this group at > >http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users?hl=en.

So I'm trying to find a correlation between my hosts and why only 3/13
show up as "good" within last 60 min even though 10 have green checks
within the last 20 minutes. What I found is 3 out of the 10 good
systems have no skipped resources, while the rest have a skipped
resource. I remember creating Bug #930: Skipped resources should not put systems in 'error' state - Foreman which
was resolved, but maybe the dashboard "good hosts" field was not
updated to also ignore skipped resources?

Thanks!
Jake

··· On Aug 23, 1:56 pm, Jake - USPS wrote: > Sorry for the late reply on this. Been away from this for a while > with patching and then OOO with a new baby girl. > > Anyways, yes this happens consistently. It still happening since I > left and came back. > > I have the puppet_interval setup for 60 minutes and I have puppet run > randomly over a 20 minute period every 30 minutes from cron on a host > (which means it could run 10-50 minutes apart depending on the random > value generated and how I have my script setup). So not sure if this > would eliminate the gap you may be talking about or not. > > Is there anymore information that could be provided to help identify > the issue? Or something I can try changing to help troubleshoot? > > Thanks, > Jake > > On Jul 3, 1:22 am, Ohad Levy wrote: > > > > > > > > > Jake, > > > I cant reproduce this, is something that is consistent ? > > > One thing that we do, is that add a few more minutes under each criteria > > (e.g. run interval + 3 minutes or so) to ensure that we capture those hosts > > which run puppet now. > > > any chance you are falling in between that gap? > > > Ohad > > > On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Jake - USPS wrote: > > > > When looking at the dashboard page in foreman on 0.3 it reports 3/13 > > > hosts with a good report in past 60 minutes. It also says 5 hosts out > > > of sync, 0 hosts with modifications, 0 hosts in error and 0 with > > > alerts disabled. But when I view the hosts page, I see 8 hosts with a > > > green check with a last report < 60 minutes, and the expected 5 hosts > > > out of sync. Not sure why I only see 3/13 good systems on dashboard > > > page when I guess I would expect 8. > > > > Let me know if any information would help to troubleshoot this. > > > > Thanks, > > > Jake > > > > -- > > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > > > "Foreman users" group. > > > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to > > > foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > > > For more options, visit this group at > > >http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users?hl=en.

> So I'm trying to find a correlation between my hosts and why only 3/13
> show up as "good" within last 60 min even though 10 have green checks
> within the last 20 minutes. What I found is 3 out of the 10 good
> systems have no skipped resources, while the rest have a skipped
> resource. I remember creating Bug #930: Skipped resources should not put systems in 'error' state - Foreman which
> was resolved, but maybe the dashboard "good hosts" field was not
> updated to also ignore skipped resources?
ah! yes

the "good hosts" are hosts that puppet did not do anything afair.

and it seems that 'Hosts that had performed modifications' also
include skipped…

Please open a bug :wink:

Ohad

Ohad

··· On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Jake - USPS wrote: > > Thanks! > Jake > > On Aug 23, 1:56 pm, Jake - USPS wrote: >> Sorry for the late reply on this. Been away from this for a while >> with patching and then OOO with a new baby girl. >> >> Anyways, yes this happens consistently. It still happening since I >> left and came back. >> >> I have the puppet_interval setup for 60 minutes and I have puppet run >> randomly over a 20 minute period every 30 minutes from cron on a host >> (which means it could run 10-50 minutes apart depending on the random >> value generated and how I have my script setup). So not sure if this >> would eliminate the gap you may be talking about or not. >> >> Is there anymore information that could be provided to help identify >> the issue? Or something I can try changing to help troubleshoot? >> >> Thanks, >> Jake >> >> On Jul 3, 1:22 am, Ohad Levy wrote: >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > Jake, >> >> > I cant reproduce this, is something that is consistent ? >> >> > One thing that we do, is that add a few more minutes under each criteria >> > (e.g. run interval + 3 minutes or so) to ensure that we capture those hosts >> > which run puppet now. >> >> > any chance you are falling in between that gap? >> >> > Ohad >> >> > On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Jake - USPS wrote: >> >> > > When looking at the dashboard page in foreman on 0.3 it reports 3/13 >> > > hosts with a good report in past 60 minutes. It also says 5 hosts out >> > > of sync, 0 hosts with modifications, 0 hosts in error and 0 with >> > > alerts disabled. But when I view the hosts page, I see 8 hosts with a >> > > green check with a last report < 60 minutes, and the expected 5 hosts >> > > out of sync. Not sure why I only see 3/13 good systems on dashboard >> > > page when I guess I would expect 8. >> >> > > Let me know if any information would help to troubleshoot this. >> >> > > Thanks, >> > > Jake >> >> > > -- >> > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >> > > "Foreman users" group. >> > > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. >> > > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to >> > > foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. >> > > For more options, visit this group at >> > >http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users?hl=en. > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Foreman users" group. > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users?hl=en. > >

Glad that seems to make sense. :wink:

http://theforeman.org/issues/1135

Thanks!
Jake

··· On Aug 29, 9:23 am, Ohad Levy wrote: > On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Jake - USPS wrote:> So I'm trying to find a correlation between my hosts and why only 3/13 > > show up as "good" within last 60 min even though 10 have green checks > > within the last 20 minutes. What I found is 3 out of the 10 good > > systems have no skipped resources, while the rest have a skipped > > resource. I remember creatinghttp://theforeman.org/issues/930which > > was resolved, but maybe the dashboard "good hosts" field was not > > updated to also ignore skipped resources? > > ah! yes > > the "good hosts" are hosts that puppet did not do anything afair. > > and it seems that 'Hosts that had performed modifications' also > include skipped.... > > Please open a bug ;) > > Ohad > > Ohad > > > > > > > > > > > Thanks! > > Jake > > > On Aug 23, 1:56 pm, Jake - USPS wrote: > >> Sorry for the late reply on this. Been away from this for a while > >> with patching and then OOO with a new baby girl. > > >> Anyways, yes this happens consistently. It still happening since I > >> left and came back. > > >> I have the puppet_interval setup for 60 minutes and I have puppet run > >> randomly over a 20 minute period every 30 minutes from cron on a host > >> (which means it could run 10-50 minutes apart depending on the random > >> value generated and how I have my script setup). So not sure if this > >> would eliminate the gap you may be talking about or not. > > >> Is there anymore information that could be provided to help identify > >> the issue? Or something I can try changing to help troubleshoot? > > >> Thanks, > >> Jake > > >> On Jul 3, 1:22 am, Ohad Levy wrote: > > >> > Jake, > > >> > I cant reproduce this, is something that is consistent ? > > >> > One thing that we do, is that add a few more minutes under each criteria > >> > (e.g. run interval + 3 minutes or so) to ensure that we capture those hosts > >> > which run puppet now. > > >> > any chance you are falling in between that gap? > > >> > Ohad > > >> > On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Jake - USPS wrote: > > >> > > When looking at the dashboard page in foreman on 0.3 it reports 3/13 > >> > > hosts with a good report in past 60 minutes. It also says 5 hosts out > >> > > of sync, 0 hosts with modifications, 0 hosts in error and 0 with > >> > > alerts disabled. But when I view the hosts page, I see 8 hosts with a > >> > > green check with a last report < 60 minutes, and the expected 5 hosts > >> > > out of sync. Not sure why I only see 3/13 good systems on dashboard > >> > > page when I guess I would expect 8. > > >> > > Let me know if any information would help to troubleshoot this. > > >> > > Thanks, > >> > > Jake > > >> > > -- > >> > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > >> > > "Foreman users" group. > >> > > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. > >> > > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to > >> > > foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > >> > > For more options, visit this group at > >> > >http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users?hl=en. > > > -- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Foreman users" group. > > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. > > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > > For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users?hl=en.

I saw the issue was completed so I updated to the latest nightly and
things seem better.

However, I am now noticing that hosts with modifications (active) are
treated as both active and good. So I have 16 systems currently and
it says 16 are good and 1 is active in my graph on the dashboard when
i would expect 15 good and 1 active. I can open a bug for this if
needs be.

Thanks,
Jake

··· On Aug 29, 9:30 am, Jake - USPS wrote: > Glad that seems to make sense. ;) > > http://theforeman.org/issues/1135 > > Thanks! > Jake > > On Aug 29, 9:23 am, Ohad Levy wrote: > > > > > > > > > On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Jake - USPS wrote:> So I'm trying to find a correlation between my hosts and why only 3/13 > > > show up as "good" within last 60 min even though 10 have green checks > > > within the last 20 minutes. What I found is 3 out of the 10 good > > > systems have no skipped resources, while the rest have a skipped > > > resource. I remember creatinghttp://theforeman.org/issues/930which > > > was resolved, but maybe thedashboard"good hosts" field was not > > > updated to also ignore skipped resources? > > > ah! yes > > > the "good hosts" are hosts that puppet did not do anything afair. > > > and it seems that 'Hosts that had performed modifications' also > > include skipped.... > > > Please open a bug ;) > > > Ohad > > > Ohad > > > > Thanks! > > > Jake > > > > On Aug 23, 1:56 pm, Jake - USPS wrote: > > >> Sorry for the late reply on this. Been away from this for a while > > >> with patching and then OOO with a new baby girl. > > > >> Anyways, yes this happens consistently. It still happening since I > > >> left and came back. > > > >> I have the puppet_interval setup for 60 minutes and I have puppet run > > >> randomly over a 20 minute period every 30 minutes from cron on a host > > >> (which means it could run 10-50 minutes apart depending on the random > > >> value generated and how I have my script setup). So not sure if this > > >> would eliminate the gap you may be talking about or not. > > > >> Is there anymore information that could be provided to help identify > > >> the issue? Or something I can try changing to help troubleshoot? > > > >> Thanks, > > >> Jake > > > >> On Jul 3, 1:22 am, Ohad Levy wrote: > > > >> > Jake, > > > >> > I cant reproduce this, is something that is consistent ? > > > >> > One thing that we do, is that add a few more minutes under each criteria > > >> > (e.g. run interval + 3 minutes or so) to ensure that we capture those hosts > > >> > which run puppet now. > > > >> > any chance you are falling in between that gap? > > > >> > Ohad > > > >> > On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Jake - USPS wrote: > > > >> > > When looking at thedashboardpage in foreman on 0.3 it reports 3/13 > > >> > > hosts with a good report in past 60 minutes. It also says 5 hosts out > > >> > > of sync, 0 hosts with modifications, 0 hosts in error and 0 with > > >> > > alerts disabled. But when I view the hosts page, I see 8 hosts with a > > >> > > green check with a last report < 60 minutes, and the expected 5 hosts > > >> > > out of sync. Not sure why I only see 3/13 good systems ondashboard > > >> > > page when I guess I would expect 8. > > > >> > > Let me know if any information would help to troubleshoot this. > > > >> > > Thanks, > > >> > > Jake > > > >> > > -- > > >> > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > > >> > > "Foreman users" group. > > >> > > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. > > >> > > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to > > >> > > foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > > >> > > For more options, visit this group at > > >> > >http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users?hl=en. > > > > -- > > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Foreman users" group. > > > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > > > For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users?hl=en.

> I saw the issue was completed so I updated to the latest nightly and
> things seem better.
>
> However, I am now noticing that hosts with modifications (active) are
> treated as both active and good. So I have 16 systems currently and
> it says 16 are good and 1 is active in my graph on the dashboard when
> i would expect 15 good and 1 active. I can open a bug for this if
> needs be.
yeah… please do, assign it to 0.4…

··· On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM, Jake - USPS wrote: > > Thanks, > Jake > > On Aug 29, 9:30 am, Jake - USPS wrote: >> Glad that seems to make sense. ;) >> >> http://theforeman.org/issues/1135 >> >> Thanks! >> Jake >> >> On Aug 29, 9:23 am, Ohad Levy wrote: >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Jake - USPS wrote:> So I'm trying to find a correlation between my hosts and why only 3/13 >> > > show up as "good" within last 60 min even though 10 have green checks >> > > within the last 20 minutes. What I found is 3 out of the 10 good >> > > systems have no skipped resources, while the rest have a skipped >> > > resource. I remember creatinghttp://theforeman.org/issues/930which >> > > was resolved, but maybe thedashboard"good hosts" field was not >> > > updated to also ignore skipped resources? >> >> > ah! yes >> >> > the "good hosts" are hosts that puppet did not do anything afair. >> >> > and it seems that 'Hosts that had performed modifications' also >> > include skipped.... >> >> > Please open a bug ;) >> >> > Ohad >> >> > Ohad >> >> > > Thanks! >> > > Jake >> >> > > On Aug 23, 1:56 pm, Jake - USPS wrote: >> > >> Sorry for the late reply on this. Been away from this for a while >> > >> with patching and then OOO with a new baby girl. >> >> > >> Anyways, yes this happens consistently. It still happening since I >> > >> left and came back. >> >> > >> I have the puppet_interval setup for 60 minutes and I have puppet run >> > >> randomly over a 20 minute period every 30 minutes from cron on a host >> > >> (which means it could run 10-50 minutes apart depending on the random >> > >> value generated and how I have my script setup). So not sure if this >> > >> would eliminate the gap you may be talking about or not. >> >> > >> Is there anymore information that could be provided to help identify >> > >> the issue? Or something I can try changing to help troubleshoot? >> >> > >> Thanks, >> > >> Jake >> >> > >> On Jul 3, 1:22 am, Ohad Levy wrote: >> >> > >> > Jake, >> >> > >> > I cant reproduce this, is something that is consistent ? >> >> > >> > One thing that we do, is that add a few more minutes under each criteria >> > >> > (e.g. run interval + 3 minutes or so) to ensure that we capture those hosts >> > >> > which run puppet now. >> >> > >> > any chance you are falling in between that gap? >> >> > >> > Ohad >> >> > >> > On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Jake - USPS wrote: >> >> > >> > > When looking at thedashboardpage in foreman on 0.3 it reports 3/13 >> > >> > > hosts with a good report in past 60 minutes. It also says 5 hosts out >> > >> > > of sync, 0 hosts with modifications, 0 hosts in error and 0 with >> > >> > > alerts disabled. But when I view the hosts page, I see 8 hosts with a >> > >> > > green check with a last report < 60 minutes, and the expected 5 hosts >> > >> > > out of sync. Not sure why I only see 3/13 good systems ondashboard >> > >> > > page when I guess I would expect 8. >> >> > >> > > Let me know if any information would help to troubleshoot this. >> >> > >> > > Thanks, >> > >> > > Jake >> >> > >> > > -- >> > >> > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >> > >> > > "Foreman users" group. >> > >> > > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. >> > >> > > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to >> > >> > > foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. >> > >> > > For more options, visit this group at >> > >> > >http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users?hl=en. >> >> > > -- >> > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Foreman users" group. >> > > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. >> > > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. >> > > For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users?hl=en. > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Foreman users" group. > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users?hl=en. > >