Multiple DNS Servers with different domains for hosts

Hi All,

I have installed/migrated (to) a new forman server which provisions two
clusters with their own DNS servers for these clusters.

At the moment I have the issue that both DNS servers need to be queried for
puppet for both domains. With my old setup I never had an issue with this
and all hosts were provisioned perfectly. Now I get the following is a DNS
name can not be resolved:

Warning: Error 400 on SERVER: Failed to find srv-01.domain.local via exec:
Execution of '/etc/puppet/node.rb srv-01.domain.local' returned 1: — false

If I remember right I have set some setting on the old foreman server that
turned off the dns resolving or so, but I'm not able to find that anymore.

There was also no DNS forwarder set on one of the DNS servers, so how FM
managed it before is a wide question.

What are my options here ?

Thanks,

Matt

OK so far it like this:

When I set the right dnsserver @ first in resolv.conf of the formanname for
the host that I'm running puppet on, foreman logs in production.log.

When that DNS server is not set it doesn't log at all, so it already fails
on DNS resolving.

A workaround could be a DNS forward on the DNS server I query on the
foreman machine, but I doubt if that's most wise.

Looking for more possibilities!

Matt

··· Op woensdag 5 maart 2014 09:57:28 UTC+1 schreef yamaka...@gmail.com: > > Hi All, > > I have installed/migrated (to) a new forman server which provisions two > clusters with their own DNS servers for these clusters. > > At the moment I have the issue that both DNS servers need to be queried > for puppet for both domains. With my old setup I never had an issue with > this and all hosts were provisioned perfectly. Now I get the following is a > DNS name can not be resolved: > > Warning: Error 400 on SERVER: Failed to find srv-01.domain.local via exec: > Execution of '/etc/puppet/node.rb srv-01.domain.local' returned 1: --- false > > If I remember right I have set some setting on the old foreman server that > turned off the dns resolving or so, but I'm not able to find that anymore. > > There was also no DNS forwarder set on one of the DNS servers, so how FM > managed it before is a wide question. > > What are my options here ? > > Thanks, > > Matt >

I have solved my issue half by delegating the subdomain to the second DNS
server. I can resolve domainnames but node.rb cannot. It still needs that
second DNS server in resolv.conf.

What does node.rb actually do than ? Not a normal resolve it seems.

··· Op woensdag 5 maart 2014 09:57:28 UTC+1 schreef yamaka...@gmail.com: > > Hi All, > > I have installed/migrated (to) a new forman server which provisions two > clusters with their own DNS servers for these clusters. > > At the moment I have the issue that both DNS servers need to be queried > for puppet for both domains. With my old setup I never had an issue with > this and all hosts were provisioned perfectly. Now I get the following is a > DNS name can not be resolved: > > Warning: Error 400 on SERVER: Failed to find srv-01.domain.local via exec: > Execution of '/etc/puppet/node.rb srv-01.domain.local' returned 1: --- false > > If I remember right I have set some setting on the old foreman server that > turned off the dns resolving or so, but I'm not able to find that anymore. > > There was also no DNS forwarder set on one of the DNS servers, so how FM > managed it before is a wide question. > > What are my options here ? > > Thanks, > > Matt >

I don't see anything in that log message referring to DNS resolution,
you may be confusing multiple things or not providing all relevant logs.

Check Foreman's logs for why the node.rb is being refused access.

There is a setting (query_local_nameservers) which changes Foreman's DNS
resolution behaviour, but this is usually for DNS orchestration and
should be unrelated to Puppet.

··· On 05/03/14 08:57, yamakasi.014@gmail.com wrote: > Hi All, > > I have installed/migrated (to) a new forman server which provisions two > clusters with their own DNS servers for these clusters. > > At the moment I have the issue that both DNS servers need to be queried > for puppet for both domains. With my old setup I never had an issue with > this and all hosts were provisioned perfectly. Now I get the following > is a DNS name can not be resolved: > > Warning: Error 400 on SERVER: Failed to find srv-01.domain.local via > exec: Execution of '/etc/puppet/node.rb srv-01.domain.local' returned 1: > --- false > > If I remember right I have set some setting on the old foreman server > that turned off the dns resolving or so, but I'm not able to find that > anymore. > > There was also no DNS forwarder set on one of the DNS servers, so how FM > managed it before is a wide question. > > What are my options here ?

Dominic Cleal
Red Hat Engineering

Hi Dominic,

Thank you for your quick response again!

I'm back for the forman log indeed on this. I have done and checked the
overall work first and it works when I change the dns server in the
resolv.conf so I knew it was a DNS issue.

Now you say "query_local_nameservers", that rings a bell to me. I checked
that out with gwmngilfen in the past where he came up with that which
solved all, so I will investigate further and report when I see something
particulair in the logfile.

Cheers,

Matt

··· Op woensdag 5 maart 2014 10:10:23 UTC+1 schreef Dominic Cleal: > > On 05/03/14 08:57, yamaka...@gmail.com wrote: > > Hi All, > > > > I have installed/migrated (to) a new forman server which provisions two > > clusters with their own DNS servers for these clusters. > > > > At the moment I have the issue that both DNS servers need to be queried > > for puppet for both domains. With my old setup I never had an issue with > > this and all hosts were provisioned perfectly. Now I get the following > > is a DNS name can not be resolved: > > > > Warning: Error 400 on SERVER: Failed to find srv-01.domain.local via > > exec: Execution of '/etc/puppet/node.rb srv-01.domain.local' returned 1: > > --- false > > > > If I remember right I have set some setting on the old foreman server > > that turned off the dns resolving or so, but I'm not able to find that > > anymore. > > > > There was also no DNS forwarder set on one of the DNS servers, so how FM > > managed it before is a wide question. > > > > What are my options here ? > > I don't see anything in that log message referring to DNS resolution, > you may be confusing multiple things or not providing all relevant logs. > > Check Foreman's logs for why the node.rb is being refused access. > > There is a setting (query_local_nameservers) which changes Foreman's DNS > resolution behaviour, but this is usually for DNS orchestration and > should be unrelated to Puppet. > > -- > Dominic Cleal > Red Hat Engineering >