Need help building subscription-manager packages for Ubuntu 18

Earlier this week, ATIX-AG removed the Debian 10 subscription-manager packages from their repo site.

So far, all attempts to build the subscription-manager package for Ubuntu 18.04 have either in the package build or with resulting package issues in the python code that I assume are due to Ubuntu 18.04 defaulting to python 2.7 and some of the code in the subscription-manager package being python 3 specific.

Is there a branch on https://github.com/candlepin/subscription-manager that is specific to building for python 2.7?

My last attempt to build was with branch subscription-manager-1.27 which does build, but when I try to install I get the following errors when trying to install the python-subscription-manager package:

Setting up python-subscription-manager (1.27.1-2ubuntu18) ...
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/rhsmlib/cloud/collector.py", line 84
    def __init__(self) -> None:
                       ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/rhsmlib/cloud/detector.py", line 38
    def is_vm(self) -> bool:
                    ^

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/rhsmlib/cloud/providers/aws.py", line 51
    def is_vm(self) -> bool:
                    ^

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/rhsmlib/cloud/providers/azure.py", line 149
    def _get_metadata_from_cache(self) -> Union[str, None]:
                                       ^

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/rhsmlib/cloud/providers/gcp.py", line 156
    def _get_metadata_from_cache(self) -> Union[str, None]:
                                       ^

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/rhsmlib/cloud/utils.py", line 57
    def detect_cloud_provider() -> list:
                                ^

dpkg: error processing package python-subscription-manager (--configure):
 installed python-subscription-manager package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 101

Perhaps @atix can weigh in here.

I think they re-added it: Subscription Manager for Debian & Ubuntu on apt.atix.de - #62 by frostygresh

Yes, subscription-manager and katello-host-tools for Debian 10 is back on apt.atix.de. See Subscription Manager for Debian & Ubuntu on apt.atix.de - #63 by maximilian

2 Likes