New user questions

Hi all,

I've recently started experimenting with foreman (with KVM) to explore managing a handful (60 or so) of nodes. I've been reading the wiki, but I'm left with a couple of questions.

1. I followed the QuickStart guide and used foreman-installer to bring up a testing instance. My dev box runs a lot of little "toys" that I name-based reverse proxy behind nginx. I manually changed Foreman's Apache to not bind to ports 80/443 to not conflict with nginx. Is there a way to do that within foreman-installer itself? I'm concerned that future upgrades will blow away that configuration. (I already realize I didn't install all the plugins I wanted)

2. The nodes I want to experiment with are part of a much larger cluster with a fairly complicated network segmentation/DHCP setup. From the documentation, it seems like I should just be able to add the right PXE configuration to the existing DHCP infrastructure. Foreman won't be able to choose the IP of hosts, but hosts in build mode would be able to proceed normally. Is that correct?

Thanks a ton! From my poking around, foreman seems terrific.

Cheers
Andrew

> Hi all,
>
> I've recently started experimenting with foreman (with KVM) to explore managing a handful (60 or so) of nodes. I've been reading the wiki, but I'm left with a couple of questions.
>
> 1) I followed the QuickStart guide and used foreman-installer to bring up a testing instance. My dev box runs a lot of little "toys" that I name-based reverse proxy behind nginx. I manually changed Foreman's Apache to not bind to ports 80/443 to not conflict with nginx. Is there a way to do that within foreman-installer itself? I'm concerned that future upgrades will blow away that configuration. (I already realize I didn't install all the plugins I wanted)

The port that the installer module configures Apache to use can't be
changed from the installer parameters. I don't think there's much you
can do except disable Passenger support in the installer
(–foreman-passenger=false) and either configure it manually or use the
standalone service - though this has very poor performance as it can't
handle simultaneous requests (so a bad idea for 60 nodes).

> 2) The nodes I want to experiment with are part of a much larger cluster with a fairly complicated network segmentation/DHCP setup. From the documentation, it seems like I should just be able to add the right PXE configuration to the existing DHCP infrastructure. Foreman won't be able to choose the IP of hosts, but hosts in build mode would be able to proceed normally. Is that correct?

Yes, that should be fine. The installer sets up a TFTP server by
default, and of course, you can have multiple TFTP servers on a network.

If you change your DHCP configuration to set filename to "pxelinux.0"
and next-server to the IP of the Foreman server for any hosts you want
to boot from Foreman, it should work fine. You will need DNS resolution
of the Foreman hostname too.

The foreman_bootdisk plugin may also be useful as it doesn't require
PXE, relying only on HTTP requests to Foreman and optionally any DHCP
server that hands out leases.

··· On 09/06/16 00:51, Andrew Melo wrote:

Dominic Cleal
dominic@cleal.org

Thanks for the tips!

··· On Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 3:38:41 AM UTC-5, Dominic Cleal wrote: > > On 09/06/16 00:51, Andrew Melo wrote: > > Hi all, > > > > I've recently started experimenting with foreman (with KVM) to explore > managing a handful (60 or so) of nodes. I've been reading the wiki, but I'm > left with a couple of questions. > > > > 1) I followed the QuickStart guide and used foreman-installer to bring > up a testing instance. My dev box runs a lot of little "toys" that I > name-based reverse proxy behind nginx. I manually changed Foreman's Apache > to not bind to ports 80/443 to not conflict with nginx. Is there a way to > do that within foreman-installer itself? I'm concerned that future upgrades > will blow away that configuration. (I already realize I didn't install all > the plugins I wanted) > > The port that the installer module configures Apache to use can't be > changed from the installer parameters. I don't think there's much you > can do except disable Passenger support in the installer > (--foreman-passenger=false) and either configure it manually or use the > standalone service - though this has very poor performance as it can't > handle simultaneous requests (so a bad idea for 60 nodes). > > > 2) The nodes I want to experiment with are part of a much larger cluster > with a fairly complicated network segmentation/DHCP setup. From the > documentation, it seems like I should just be able to add the right PXE > configuration to the existing DHCP infrastructure. Foreman won't be able to > choose the IP of hosts, but hosts in build mode would be able to proceed > normally. Is that correct? > > Yes, that should be fine. The installer sets up a TFTP server by > default, and of course, you can have multiple TFTP servers on a network. > > If you change your DHCP configuration to set filename to "pxelinux.0" > and next-server to the IP of the Foreman server for any hosts you want > to boot from Foreman, it should work fine. You will need DNS resolution > of the Foreman hostname too. > > The foreman_bootdisk plugin may also be useful as it doesn't require > PXE, relying only on HTTP requests to Foreman and optionally any DHCP > server that hands out leases. > > -- > Dominic Cleal > dom...@cleal.org >