New user seeking update / advice with Foreman/Debian

Problem:
Hi, new Foreman user and first time poster here, we are considering moving to foreman from RH Satellite due to Foreman’s support for Debian based distros (Ubuntu + debian11 in our case) however we have run into a couple issues. I’ve spent some time searching the forums and that manual repo called “google” and have not come up with much except for a couple open bugs that may be related, see below.

We have created a custom debian repo where we upload our own debian packages such as qualys / crowdstrike, etc. When doing some test uploads to this repo via the web interface or hammer, the initial upload works as expected, but they show up as blank:

I click on that and there are two tables representing the RPMs but they are blank.

I see similar output from hammer:

Example of working RPM packages:

[root@XXXXXX~]# hammer package list --product magna_vendor --repository Magna_Vendor_EL8 --organization-id 5
------|-----------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------

ID FILENAME SOURCE RPM
12599 azcopy-linux_amd64_10.13.0-1.el8.x86_64.rpm azcopy-linux_amd64_10.13.0-1.el8.src.rpm
12600 devo-monitor-2.0.7-1.noarch.rpm devo-monitor-2.0.7-1.src.rpm
12601 devo-ng-relay-2.0.1-1.noarch.rpm devo-ng-relay-2.0.1-1-src.rpm

But both deb packages are not being displayed:

[root@XXXXX~]# hammer package list --product magna_vendor --repository Debian11 --organization-id 5
—|----------|-----------

ID FILENAME SOURCE RPM

(no output, should show 2 debian packages)

Expected outcome:
names of custom .deb packages should be displayed.

Foreman and Proxy versions:

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:
katello-4.5

Distribution and version:
Rocky Linux 8.6
postgresql-server-12.11-2

Other relevant data:
These are the two closest bugs I could find so far but they are more errata related:
https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/7961
Feature/debian errata working by mbgonicus · Pull Request #9886 · Katello/katello · GitHub

I also know that there are areas of debian support that are improving but not sure if my problem above is related:

Thanks for any help you can provide!

I could not post a second image in my first post so here it is showing the two blank tables.

We literally just found this as well (while working on fixing the Debian upload for certain packages).
Looks a lot like a bug to me…

1 Like

I can confirm that this feature is working in Katello 4.3, something must have broke with a later release.

I have created an upstream issue Bug #35060: Deb packages uploaded in debian repository are not displayed - Katello - Foreman

Many thanks!

Upgraded to Foreman 3.3 / Katello 4.5 and this problem persists. Any ideas when this will be corrected?

Thanks!

Looks like it is being fixed here: https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/10190

Along with other deb upload related errors here: https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/10164

My guess is that this will make it into Katello 4.6 for sure, and might get backported into 4.5.1 or similar.

Thanks!