"No root file system is defined" error using preseed atomic partitioning scheme

I am using preseed default as partitioning template, but when a host is
launched using that I got this error "No root file system is defined"

Exact error message is, No root file system is defined, Please correct this
form partitioning menu.
I have installed foreman with DHCP in a network, where I have disabled the
existing DHCP in that Network.

··· On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 4:49:42 PM UTC+2, Akash Kaveti wrote: > > I am using preseed default as partitioning template, but when a host is > launched using that I got this error "No root file system is defined" >

Hi,

Thanks for the response, I have tried to install on different server as
well, but got the same error,
Below I am pasting my partition template,

Use the first detected hard disk as default installation disk

#d-i partman/early_command string debconf-set partman-auto/disk
"$(list-devices disk | head -n1)"
d-i partman-auto/disk string dev/sda

Partitioning

The presently available methods are: "regular", "lvm" and "crypto"

d-i partman-auto/method string crypto

If one of the disks that are going to be automatically partitioned

contains an old LVM configuration, the user will normally receive a

warning. This can be preseeded away…

d-i partman-lvm/device_remove_lvm boolean true

The same applies to pre-existing software RAID array:

d-i partman-md/device_remove_md boolean true

And the same goes for the confirmation to write the lvm partitions.

d-i partman-lvm/confirm boolean true
d-i partman-lvm/confirm_nooverwrite boolean true

You can choose one of the three predefined partitioning recipes:

- atomic: all files in one partition

- home: separate /home partition

- multi: separate /home, /var, and /tmp partitions (/usr was removed in

jessie)
d-i partman-auto/choose_recipe select atomic

If you just want to change the default filesystem to something

else, you can do that without providing a full recipe.

This makes partman automatically partition without confirmation, provided

that you told it what to do using one of the methods above.

d-i partman/confirm_write_new_label boolean true
d-i partman/choose_partition select finish
d-i partman/confirm boolean true
d-i partman/confirm_nooverwrite boolean true

Thank you.

··· On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 4:49:42 PM UTC+2, Akash Kaveti wrote: > > I am using preseed default as partitioning template, but when a host is > launched using that I got this error "No root file system is defined" >

Hi,

the problem probably isn't the partitioning schema itself, but the disk
used/defined before.

Check if this part

"d-i partman-auto/disk string /dev/vda"

matches your server.

Maybe some other value is needed for your case, like /dev/sda/ or /dev/xvda.

You can override that in the partition table itself or by adding an
according host.param for install_disk.

The relevant snippet is this one:

··· -------------------------------------------------------------------- <% if @host.params['install-disk'] -%> d-i partman-auto/disk string <%= @host.params['install-disk'] %> <% else -%> d-i partman-auto/disk string /dev/vda <% end -%> --------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope it helps,

Hauke

On 09/13/2016 06:04 PM, Akash Kaveti wrote:

Exact error message is, No root file system is defined, Please correct
this form partitioning menu.
I have installed foreman with DHCP in a network, where I have disabled
the existing DHCP in that Network.

On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 4:49:42 PM UTC+2, Akash Kaveti wrote:

I am using preseed default as partitioning template, but when a host
is launched using that I got this error "No root file system is defined"

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups “Foreman users” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
mailto:foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com
mailto:foreman-users@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hi,

> d-i partman-auto/disk string dev/sda

from your template is missing a "/" at the beginning.
Should be: /dev/sda/,/dev/vda or something similar.

Or simply use:

> # Use the first detected hard disk as default installation disk
> #d-i partman/early_command string debconf-set partman-auto/disk
> "$(list-devices disk | head -n1)"

which should choose the first disk found on your system, as it also
states in the comment above.

Hauke

··· On 09/14/2016 01:03 PM, Akash Kaveti wrote: > Hi, > > Thanks for the response, I have tried to install on different server as > well, but got the same error, > Below I am pasting my partition template, > > > > # Use the first detected hard disk as default installation disk > #d-i partman/early_command string debconf-set partman-auto/disk > "$(list-devices disk | head -n1)" > d-i partman-auto/disk string dev/sda > > ### Partitioning > # The presently available methods are: "regular", "lvm" and "crypto" > d-i partman-auto/method string crypto > > # If one of the disks that are going to be automatically partitioned > # contains an old LVM configuration, the user will normally receive a > # warning. This can be preseeded away... > d-i partman-lvm/device_remove_lvm boolean true > # The same applies to pre-existing software RAID array: > d-i partman-md/device_remove_md boolean true > # And the same goes for the confirmation to write the lvm partitions. > d-i partman-lvm/confirm boolean true > d-i partman-lvm/confirm_nooverwrite boolean true > > > # You can choose one of the three predefined partitioning recipes: > # - atomic: all files in one partition > # - home: separate /home partition > # - multi: separate /home, /var, and /tmp partitions (/usr was removed > in jessie) > d-i partman-auto/choose_recipe select atomic > > > # If you just want to change the default filesystem to something > # else, you can do that without providing a full recipe. > > # This makes partman automatically partition without confirmation, provided > # that you told it what to do using one of the methods above. > d-i partman/confirm_write_new_label boolean true > d-i partman/choose_partition select finish > d-i partman/confirm boolean true > d-i partman/confirm_nooverwrite boolean true > > Thank you. > > > On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 4:49:42 PM UTC+2, Akash Kaveti wrote: > > I am using preseed default as partitioning template, but when a host > is launched using that I got this error "No root file system is defined" > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > Groups "Foreman users" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send > an email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > . > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com > . > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

bytemine GmbH, Im Technologiepark 4, 26129 Oldenburg
Support: 0441-309197-42 — Vertrieb: 0441-309197-69
GF: Felix Kronlage – AG in Oldenburg – HRB 203 940
https://www.bytemine.net — VAT-Number: DE267286778

Hi,

It was typo, But I have tried by putting "/" at the begining and even I
tried the commented section "d-i partman/early_command string debconf-set
partman-auto/disk "$(list-devices disk | head -n1)"
"

Same error repeats, No root file system is defined.

Thanks

··· On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 1:13:01 PM UTC+2, Hauke Behrens wrote: > > Hi, > > > d-i partman-auto/disk string dev/sda > > from your template is missing a "/" at the beginning. > Should be: /dev/sda/,/dev/vda or something similar. > > Or simply use: > > > # Use the first detected hard disk as default installation disk > > #d-i partman/early_command string debconf-set partman-auto/disk > > "$(list-devices disk | head -n1)" > > which should choose the first disk found on your system, as it also > states in the comment above. > > Hauke > > > On 09/14/2016 01:03 PM, Akash Kaveti wrote: > > Hi, > > > > Thanks for the response, I have tried to install on different server as > > well, but got the same error, > > Below I am pasting my partition template, > > > > > > > > # Use the first detected hard disk as default installation disk > > #d-i partman/early_command string debconf-set partman-auto/disk > > "$(list-devices disk | head -n1)" > > d-i partman-auto/disk string dev/sda > > > > ### Partitioning > > # The presently available methods are: "regular", "lvm" and "crypto" > > d-i partman-auto/method string crypto > > > > # If one of the disks that are going to be automatically partitioned > > # contains an old LVM configuration, the user will normally receive a > > # warning. This can be preseeded away... > > d-i partman-lvm/device_remove_lvm boolean true > > # The same applies to pre-existing software RAID array: > > d-i partman-md/device_remove_md boolean true > > # And the same goes for the confirmation to write the lvm partitions. > > d-i partman-lvm/confirm boolean true > > d-i partman-lvm/confirm_nooverwrite boolean true > > > > > > # You can choose one of the three predefined partitioning recipes: > > # - atomic: all files in one partition > > # - home: separate /home partition > > # - multi: separate /home, /var, and /tmp partitions (/usr was removed > > in jessie) > > d-i partman-auto/choose_recipe select atomic > > > > > > # If you just want to change the default filesystem to something > > # else, you can do that without providing a full recipe. > > > > # This makes partman automatically partition without confirmation, > provided > > # that you told it what to do using one of the methods above. > > d-i partman/confirm_write_new_label boolean true > > d-i partman/choose_partition select finish > > d-i partman/confirm boolean true > > d-i partman/confirm_nooverwrite boolean true > > > > Thank you. > > > > > > On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 4:49:42 PM UTC+2, Akash Kaveti wrote: > > > > I am using preseed default as partitioning template, but when a host > > is launched using that I got this error "No root file system is > defined" > > > > -- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > > Groups "Foreman users" group. > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send > > an email to foreman-user...@googlegroups.com > > <mailto:foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >. > > To post to this group, send email to forema...@googlegroups.com > > > <mailto:forema...@googlegroups.com >. > > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users. > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. > > -- > bytemine GmbH, Im Technologiepark 4, 26129 Oldenburg > Support: 0441-309197-42 --- Vertrieb: 0441-309197-69 > GF: Felix Kronlage -- AG in Oldenburg -- HRB 203 940 > https://www.bytemine.net --- VAT-Number: DE267286778 >

Hi,

what kind of system are you trying to install to ?
KVM/Libvirt, a hardware box, something else ?
Are you maybe using LVM to provide the virtual disk ?

Please provide some more information on what you are trying to install
to. Maybe that will help to find the error.

I've also seen that error before, and in my cases it always was:
"trying to install to a wrong disk or "trying to install to non-
existant device".

One thing you can try is to switch to a different console
(ctrl+alt+f1,f2 etc.) during the install and checking syslog, to see
what commands are issued.
Check if the device really exists on the system or try another recipe.

Hauke

Hello Again,

It is working now, I have check the syslog, the device I am trying to
install is not there it seems,
so I gave /dev/sdb, it is working now.

I am trying to install ubuntu by unattended installation on a hardware box.
I am using the default the partition template, I am not using LVM.

It is working for the current host, but what about the other hosts, Why
cant I use "d-i partman/early_command string debconf-set partman-auto/disk
"$(list-devices disk | head -n1)
"

Thank you for the help, i have been struggling with this error from
yesterday.

··· On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 1:52:33 PM UTC+2, Hauke Behrens wrote: > > Hi, > > what kind of system are you trying to install to ? > KVM/Libvirt, a hardware box, something else ? > Are you maybe using LVM to provide the virtual disk ? > > Please provide some more information on what you are trying to install > to. Maybe that will help to find the error. > > I've also seen that error before, and in my cases it always was: > "trying to install to a wrong disk or "trying to install to non- > existant device". > > One thing you can try is to switch to a different console > (ctrl+alt+f1,f2 etc.) during the install and checking syslog, to see > what commands are issued. > Check if the device really exists on the system or try another recipe. > > Hauke > > > >

> Hello Again,
>
> It is working now, I have check the syslog, the device I am trying to
> install is not there it seems,
> so I gave /dev/sdb, it is working now.

Glad I could help. :slight_smile:

> It is working for the current host, but what about the other hosts, Why
> cant I use "/d-i partman/early_command string debconf-set
> partman-auto/disk "$(list-devices disk | head -n1)/"

It's always hard to guess what device is getting used.
If you have a usb-stick plugged-in with the e.g. a formean-boot-iso,
that might be /dev/sda and your "real" hard-disk might be /dev/sdb/.

In that case "head -n2" will do the trick.
When using raid-devices this might be different too.

Also check out this thread:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/foreman-users/uKuY4YJuy7E

Hauke

··· On 09/14/2016 03:04 PM, Akash Kaveti wrote:

Thank you so much for the response. :slight_smile:

··· On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 4:40:14 PM UTC+2, Hauke Behrens wrote: > > > > On 09/14/2016 03:04 PM, Akash Kaveti wrote: > > Hello Again, > > > > It is working now, I have check the syslog, the device I am trying to > > install is not there it seems, > > so I gave /dev/sdb, it is working now. > > Glad I could help. :-) > > > > It is working for the current host, but what about the other hosts, Why > > cant I use "/d-i partman/early_command string debconf-set > > partman-auto/disk "$(list-devices disk | head -n1)/" > > It's always hard to guess what device is getting used. > If you have a usb-stick plugged-in with the e.g. a formean-boot-iso, > that might be /dev/sda and your "real" hard-disk might be /dev/sdb/. > > In that case "head -n2" will do the trick. > When using raid-devices this might be different too. > > Also check out this thread: > > https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/foreman-users/uKuY4YJuy7E > > Hauke > > -- > bytemine GmbH, Im Technologiepark 4, 26129 Oldenburg > Support: 0441-309197-42 --- Vertrieb: 0441-309197-69 > GF: Felix Kronlage -- AG in Oldenburg -- HRB 203 940 > https://www.bytemine.net --- VAT-Number: DE267286778 >

Hey Hauke,

I am using Preseed default template for partition table, in it using Crypto
method for my hardware encryption.
Is there any way I can give a default password for it, so that I shouldn't
give password during the installation?

Thank you.

··· On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 2:34:35 PM UTC+2, Akash Kaveti wrote: > > Thank you so much for the response. :) > > On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 4:40:14 PM UTC+2, Hauke Behrens wrote: >> >> >> >> On 09/14/2016 03:04 PM, Akash Kaveti wrote: >> > Hello Again, >> > >> > It is working now, I have check the syslog, the device I am trying to >> > install is not there it seems, >> > so I gave /dev/sdb, it is working now. >> >> Glad I could help. :-) >> >> >> > It is working for the current host, but what about the other hosts, Why >> > cant I use "/d-i partman/early_command string debconf-set >> > partman-auto/disk "$(list-devices disk | head -n1)/" >> >> It's always hard to guess what device is getting used. >> If you have a usb-stick plugged-in with the e.g. a formean-boot-iso, >> that might be /dev/sda and your "real" hard-disk might be /dev/sdb/. >> >> In that case "head -n2" will do the trick. >> When using raid-devices this might be different too. >> >> Also check out this thread: >> >> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/foreman-users/uKuY4YJuy7E >> >> Hauke >> >> -- >> bytemine GmbH, Im Technologiepark 4, 26129 Oldenburg >> Support: 0441-309197-42 --- Vertrieb: 0441-309197-69 >> GF: Felix Kronlage -- AG in Oldenburg -- HRB 203 940 >> https://www.bytemine.net --- VAT-Number: DE267286778 >> >

First hit…

Hauke

··· On 09/21/2016 02:51 PM, Akash Kaveti wrote: > Is there any way I can give a default password for it, so that I > shouldn't give password during the installation?